PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I got back to pipes in 2018 and I’m still in the tobacco/blend exploration phase - as in wanting to try as many blends as possible.

It takes me quite a while to get through a tin as I only smoke on the weekends.

A couple of years ago I stocked up on Latakia and Oriental blends as I was smoking them most of the time.
I’m smoking Virginias and VaPers more nowadays

Tastes and preferences change.
I also like variety, and can’t see myself smoking the same half dozen blends.
I have quite a lot of unsampled blends I bought to try.

So 2oz/50gm tins mostly.

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I like little 1.5 to 2 ounce tins. I tend to smoke a pretty wide variety of blends so it takes me quite awhile to go through a small tin, and that gives my cellared tins a good long time to age while I'm smoking through whatever I currently have open and stashed away in an 8 oz Ball jar. Bulk is just fine too, and way more affordable, but I do like the aesthetics and aging potential of tins. Cornell & Diehl blends in particular always seem to smell and taste better out of a tin to me.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I do buy tins, but usually as a one-off just to try something. Tinned blends are too expensive for me to really stock up on. Bulk is my preference, which I heat seal in mylar. Anything I'm currently smoking through goes in wide mouth jars.

Wet Dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2023
Littleton, CO
I only buy packaged tobacco, i.e., tobacco that has been sealed at the factory. Tins or bags, doesn't really matter, as long as they are adequate to preserve the contents.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Standard 1.7oz tins, round or square. Keeps the tobacco nice and easy to carry or put in a pocket. I go out of my way to avoid biscuit tins, although I end up buying many of them for the tobacco blends. I then have to put them into a carry pouch or container when I am out and about which is an extra step and requires some cleaning or maintenance.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I forgot to mention, that from those bulk bags or large mason jars that I use, I fill up a tobacco pouch daily/as needed. The pouch is what I smoke most of my tobacco from.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Bulk if available, no preference on tin size, though for the most part, the size of the tin is decided by the blender. Bulk is subdivided into mylar bags for long-term storage. For a while I used mason jars -- they work fine but are heavy and bulky to store. I do not bag tins in mylar, I've always been able to open tins before seal failure occurred, though for some it was a close thing.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I prefer the smaller 2 oz/1.75 tins. Much of my stuff is C&D so I have smaller tins incase there is an issue with any of them, it will be a small loss instead of a big one. All of it is for aging. Only the stuff I smoke a lot of I buy the 8 oz cans of. I only buy bulk if I have to, like some of the Gawith stuff. Tobacco seems to be fresher in the tins vs bulk.

Reactions: kcghost

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Funny, those saying that 100gram tins take up less space. I have just about every iteration of tinned tobacco there is, and most 100 grams tins take up way more space than two 50gram tins... except for a few brands.
I agree, the MacBaren ones are the worst. Too wide vs the more/multiple rows of 2 oz tins I have. The Drucquer&Sons 100g/Rattrays stuff however is much better for me being shorter than 2 c&d cans stacked.

Last edited:

Manawydan

Lurker
Apr 24, 2024
Since I am still very much exploring and learning what I like, I prefer the ~2 oz tins. When I get a new blend that I'm ready to try, I open the tin and put 4/5 of it into an 8 oz ball canning jar. I leave the 1/5 in the original tin (or baggie) -- usually 3-4 bowls worth. I'll smoke from that until gone and decide whether to move the jar to my 'active' bin or keep in the 'cellar' bin for a while. I have often bought a couple extra tins of blends I particularly like to cellar -- can keep them sealed, can open them one at a time, and don't have to go through hassle of opening/jaring, etc... Also makes it easy to age one portion longer than another. Blends that I really really love I am happy buying in bulk and jarring in larger storage jars with an 8 oz as my use-jar.