PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

buggy63

Lurker
Apr 7, 2024
Birmingham. England
Title edited. See Rule 9.

I know I`m preaching to the converted here but I had a really bad experience today which thankfully somebody helped me out with.

After smoking my pipe today and while it was still warm I stupidly tried to clean it ! It is a beautiful bent, and after I put the stem back in, it jammed before I`d centred it correctly. I thought I`d broken it as it wouldn`t turn at all. THANKFULLY after ten minutes in the freezer and a tiny bit of force it loosened and I was able to fix it.

So please, Don`t clean them while they are still warm.

It's not the cleaning, it's the dissassembly you found trouble with.

Last edited by a moderator:

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I know I`m preaching to the converted here but I had a really bad experience today which thankfully somebody helped me out with.

After smoking my pipe today and while it was still warm I stupidly tried to clean it ! It is a beautiful bent, and after I put the stem back in, it jammed before I`d centred it correctly. I thought I`d broken it as it wouldn`t turn at all. THANKFULLY after ten minutes in the freezer and a tiny bit of force it loosened and I was able to fix it.

So please, Don`t clean them while they are still warm.
Whenever anyone says “don’t “, the people who “do” will let you know it’s not entirely a real thing.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
On occasion while smoking some crud might get sucked up into the stem prior to when I intend to stop smoking the pipe. Essential then to pull out stem to push pipe cleaner through the bit from the tenon side to clear it. Stick it back on an resume smoking. No problem. Do have a pipe or 2 that takes a freezer to loosen the stem to get it off, though.

Reactions: buggy63

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
All briar doesn't act the same. Some are a little less dimensionally stable than others. For that reason, I always let my pipes completely cool down before disassembly. One less variable to consider.

This ^^^^ is the answer.

It's a case of exceptions don't disprove a rule. That's why they're called exceptions.

The penalty for disregarding it is a snapped-off tenon and/or a cracked shank. With no rewind button.

The penalty for following the rule, however, is... nothing.

In 21st Century Speak, letting a pipe cool before disassembly is a no-brainer.

Tangential consideration: Some pipe designs make the situation worse. If the shank has an extension that's made of the same material as the tenon, something called "galling" occurs---the surfaces in contact progressively roughen over time, making the connection "sticky". If ignored, the eventual effect is the same as vacuum welding. (i.e. Under sufficient pressure, molecules of the two surfaces exchange with each other and the two pieces literally become one). When that happens, the twisting force required to separate them exceeds the structural strength of the materials. They CAN'T be separated.

(Why some companies insist on making pipes that way has mystified me for years)

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Been doing this road not once but twice, I managed to broke a tenon in one of Dunhill rig grain canadian which had extremely thin shank walls ,one forced twist had enough to get it split, then there was one older Lillehammer, and the very same think happened due to a forced twist on the stem, so to say, seems that older estate pipes seem to be more prone to these like breakages, Got those banded ,although they were never the same ,cuze properly make repair banding is rarely well done,and eye pleasing

Reactions: kcghost
I have never heard of the stem getting stuck after removing it while it was warm.
I rarely wait for the briar the cool before removing my stem, sometimes if a bit of tobacco clogs the stem, I don't hesitate to remove the stem. I used to taught the whole removing the stem while warm myth, till I watched guys in my pipe club use their meaty sausage fingers to yank it out like a gorilla preparing a banana. Then it crossed my mind that maybe if someone has less dexterity and finesse, they probably shouldn't try it.

Sure, sure, sure, maybe it is the briar type. But, I have over 100 pipes, and I guess I just got lucky with all of my pipes. But, I also think that a lot of these magical mythologies concerning pipes are bunk. I'm more of a challenge the rule type of guy. But, if you are going to be recked emotionally and financially if you lose a pipe, maybe err to the side of caution. As I said, some guys just don't have the dexterity to do a lot of fine motor manipulations.

Last edited:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
After smoking and while the pipe is still warm I will insert a pipe cleaner and wipe the bowl out with a tissue.
I don't remove the stem for cleaning until I'm ready to smoke that pipe again.

Reactions: Reggie