PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
I'm curious, when you smoke a bowl, how long are you generally taking? My bowls generally last 20 minutes or so if everything goes smoothly. I never smoke all the way to the bottom and there is always a little that I waste at the end when it seems to get harsher.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I consider myself a fast smoker. But I can make a Ropp Etudiant Billiard Last 45 mins to an hour. With 3 or 4 immediate relights.

Measurements & Other Details​

• Length: 5.36 in./136.08 mm.
  • Weight: 0.80 oz./22.68 g.
  • Bowl Height: 1.58 in./40.25 mm.
  • Chamber Depth: 1.42 in./36.03 mm.
  • Chamber Diameter: 0.77 in./19.68 mm.
  • Outside Diameter: 125.85 in./3,196.56 mm.
  • Stem Material: Vulcanite
  • Filter: None
  • Shape: Billiard
  • Finish: Sandblast
  • Material: Briar

Reactions: Nevaditude
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
It really depends on the size of the pipe’s chamber and the cut of tobacco. I have tiny pipes that last twenty minutes at best; some deep chambered pipes will last over five hours with a crumble cut. In a pipe with an “average sized” .75" x 1.5" chamber, about ninety minutes to two hours? It varies with the way it’s packed, the dryness of the tobacco, the cut—lots of variables.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I aim for 45-50 minutes. After that Im pretty much ready to do something else. I use meer chips or broken clay pottery chips in the bottom of my pipe. In big pipes I use more, in small less. There are a few blends that smoke a really long time. For those I will pack an average pipe with less tobacco. I prefer a fresh pipe over old relights.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Never really thought about how long "it should last" i smoke and enjoy, sometimes i smoke faster, sometimes I will take a few puffs and put the pipe down and pick it up 10 minutes later and relight if needed and puff a bit more until i finish it or put it down.

There are 100s of variables.

Don't over think it, pipes are relaxing and enjoyable, overthinking it can harsh the enjoyment. I like to think pipes are excellent for pondering things other than if I'm doing it right.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
To repeat, it depends on the size of the chamber. My Savinelli 2614ks (20mmx42mm chamber) can go 20 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes depending on my cadence. My Peterson Pub pipe (22.5mm x 51.50 chamber) can go for 1-2.5 hours or all day if I put it down and re-light later. I prefer the larger chambers for travel/work pipes because I can put it down and return to it later. I've yet to smoke the pub pipe straight through in one sitting as I don't have that kind of patience or time but I imagine it would be a very long time. The goal is to smoke slowly and sip the tobacco making it last as long as possible that's why they have slow smoking championships although I believe (but don't know for sure) that they all begin with 3 grams of tobacco.

PS read this thread, it helps:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Thanks, I'm just trying to get a few points of info for comparison. It appears that I am not smoking as slowly as I think I am. When it goes smoothly, the bowl barely gets warm. This is 1.5 x .79 bowl. Peterson Bent Dublin #69
both pipes and nasal snuff confound new users by showing them they're not as gentle or as slow as they think. One thing is how do you pack your pipe, takes a while to get that down and as far as going slow I have two hints: sip and focus not on getting smoke in your mouth (it just happens) focus on tending the ember.
But more importantly the whole thing is if you go easier and more gently on your smoking you'll probably find your self thinking wow it's even more enjoyable, but as long as you are enjoying it that is what matters most. I know a pipe smoker who freight trains his pipes smokes hot and fast. The guy is enjoying himself and they're his pipes. Oh and smoking hot increase the chance of breaking the pipe.
I smoke pretty slow but every once in a while I get an unintentionally quick smoke out of my pipes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It really depends on the size of the pipe’s chamber and the cut of tobacco. I have tiny pipes that last twenty minutes at best; some deep chambered pipes will last over five hours with a crumble cut. In a pipe with an “average sized” .75" x 1.5" chamber, about ninety minutes to two hours? It varies with the way it’s packed, the dryness of the tobacco, the cut—lots of variables.
About the same. Anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours, depending.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
When you inhale and relight and no smoke comes out. Then your done.

For me that is at minimum 40 mins and up to 2 hours.

You can also load up half a bowl. I checked and there is no law in these 50 states against loading a half bowl. 😆

Remember though you can come back to an unfinished bowl too. You don't have finish everything in your bowl before you get to have cake. 😂

All kidding aside don't over think. The only way to know is smoke your pipe. That's the answer for everything. Just smoke it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm just trying to figure out this flavor thing. It must be in there someplace. 🙂
It takes some patience, practice, and experimentation. There’s no shortcut.
Generally speaking, the slower and cooler you smoke a blend, the more flavor you get. The art, to the extent that there is any, is in finding that balance where you can keep your pipe simmering, just at the edge of going out, and sip away. That’s when the flavors come out and play.
Don’t forget to snork. Your schnoz has more flavor receptors than your mouth.