PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
That WWII series looks very interesting. I just purchased the first volume. Thanks for the recommendation.
I hope you enjoy it! Although it's more about the post-war generation, only one of the books is set during the war, and that's at the very end. Which one did you get? Some publishers ordered them chronologically, some in the order they were published.

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I hope you enjoy it! Although it's more about the post-war generation, only one of the books is set during the war, and that's at the very end. Which one did you get? Some publishers ordered them chronologically, some in the order they were published.
I bought Mine Were of Trouble about his time in the Spanish Civil War, I believe.

Reactions: kcghost

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I'm reading the third book in Emily Organs series with Augusta Peel as the amateur sleuth. As I said before these are mysteries set in the early 20's in London, England. The booked is titled "The Bloomsbury Murder".

A1VMvUpaDHL._SL1500_.jpg

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Having finished Simon Raven's Alms for Oblivion series (admittedly interspersed with other things) and feeling utterly bereft without them, I've moved on to one of his highly amusing memoirs, this one ostensibly focussing on cricket.View attachment 297837
Simon ‘the raver’ Raven? A rum sort of chap, by all accounts. Lol

Currently reading Aubrey & Martins first outing.
IMG_7784.jpeg

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK

View attachment 301766
Is this your first time reading them? I love that series, read all 20 in one go over COVID, having only read Master and Commander previously. Felt like I'd lost two friends when I finished the series!

I've just bought a copy of Simon Raven's last memoir that was withdrawn and pulped for being too libellous (should be interesting). There's a pretty funny Southbank Show with him, if you have a spare hour:

Reactions: simong

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania

View attachment 301766
The first time through I found Master and Commander good but not great. However the series gets better and richer as it goes on. I’ve read the whole series six times and I’m thinking about when to restart it again.