PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I tried the 1926 Velvet courtesy of ashdigger. It was okay. I also tried some Punchbowle that was probably from the 70s? It was gross. I found a tin of George Washington that was from the late 70s or early 80s. Tasted like sour frog ass. So for me most of the time it more miss than hit. Maybe one day I’ll come upon an old tin that doesn’t suck..

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I have an overabundance of tobaccos, so there are some tins which have been ignored for decades, as I mostly smoke codger blends.
Rummaging through my "cellar", I recently came upon ten unopened 100g tins of assorted McClelland Virgina blends, dated 1986-1993. I am surprised how old they (and I) are -- I bought them all new from various pipe shops -- with $4.90 price tags 😭.
The first two I cracked open had gone bad. Oxygen leakage I suspect. Tobacco was bone dry and inner tin surface heavily corroded.
The third, Mixture No. 1, described as mild; with Virginias, Orientals, and just a smidge of Latakia, was in excellent condition. 33 years in the tin! Sugar crystals and fermentation! Not a hint of the characteristic "vinegar odor" of McClelland blends.
Smoking it now. Brings back fond memories when I formerly smoked such blends regularly.
Excellent smoke but not anything I would buy on today's market for hundreds of dollars. 😬

stearmandriver

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2018
25 year old tin of McClelland's Dark Star. I remember it biting the hell out of me when fresh, but after forgetting about it for 15 years, then re-hydrating and jarring it, it STILL is hard to get it to burn, but it's nice and smooth and tastes like toasted marshmallows.

I have a couple bowls a year, but it's still far from my favorite VA blend. I'd say I probably like even good old Capstan blue better. It reinforces for me that the old stuff wasn't necessarily better, and certainly isn't worth the money folks will pay for it today. To me, I mean... To each their own though.

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
1960s, 70s, 80s Prince Albert. The late 60s/early 70s tins did have hints of dust and rust and the flavours were definitely "old" instead of "aged". The late 70s/early 80s stuff was good (if you like PA that is).

I have some 20ish year old Jack's Tobacco Firehouse Dog with Syrian Latakia and perique that is pretty good, but it doesn't taste like a Lat blend any more and it's not spicy at all, it is the proverbial "stewed fruit" now.

I also have (from the same friend that gave me the other 20 year old tobacco, from his late father's cellar) a 20 year old jar of "mystery dog turds" which I'm 99% sure is Sam Gawith No. 4 aromatic twist. Very dark, almost black, doesn't burn easily (understatement) and still smells strongly of Tonquin. Great stuff.
ngl, I had to look that up: 🧐

“Tonquin Bean

Botanical: Dipteryx odorata (WILLD.)
Family: N.O. Leguminosae

Synonyms: Tonka Bean. Coumarouna odorata.
Part Used: Seeds.
Habitat: A forest tree native to Brazil and British Guiana and called there ‘Rumara’.

Description: The odor of coumarin, which distinguishes the Tonka Bean, is found in many plants, especially in Melilotus, sweet vernal grass, and related grasses.

And this as well: 😓

Coumarin one of the most commonly used ingredients in fragrances—it can smell like almonds, vanilla, and freshly cut hay. While it's found naturally in many plants (especially the tonka bean), today fragrance makers create coumarin in a lab.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The oldest I smoked was some 1980's MB Virginia blends. It was incredibly strong and tasty, I was shocked. Most of what I smoke these days is 5 to 6 years old. Presently smoking 2018 Capstan Blue Flake, F&T Cut Blended Plug and Vintage, Union Square and 2015 Orlik Golden Sliced. I have a sale posted with a number of tins of 8 to 12 year old tobacco, 8 oz tin of Union Square from 2014 and 2006 Lancers Slices.
You forgot about W.H plug I gave you the other year from one of our Florida Pipe Club get togethers at Edwards Cigar or whatever the place is called.

Reactions: BenMN and Jacob74

Big John Shea

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2019
Early 1980's Mac Baren Dark Twist from a perfect sealed tin. Still the most incredible tobacco I have in my jars.
I will revise slightly what I said here.

I bought dried out old tins of Blue Boar Rough Cut and Kentucky Club Mix in the distant past. Both dating back to the 1940's. They had to be rehydrated so they aren't really aged the same as good fully sealed aged tobacco is. There's no telling when they dried out so they may have only really aged for 10 or 15 years before drying out.

Same is true with cigars. Have smoked Pre-Embargo Cubans before that had dried out in the past and they don't hold a candle to a Pre-Embargo Cuban that has been maintained well in an old collection.

Tobacco needs moisture and air to truly age and release nitrogen.

Reactions: UncleRasta and RonB

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
The best thing I've had recently was some rehydrated 1980s Condor flake - it was excellent, and somehow had managed to retain flavour (a gift from @simong). The oldest stuff I have is from the 1930s, but I'm waiting to open it at a time I can share it. I've got some bits and pieces from the 1980s and 1990s which, when I've opened tins of them, have still been great.

Recently found a tin of Marlin Flake from when I first started smoking, but it had lost its seal and even rehydrated was really flat. Not sure I was even that much of a fan of it at the time though.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I’ve had the pleasure of a few tins from the 40’s. Cutter tops, which is what you want with tobacco that old. Only wish I took photos of all the vintage tins I’ve opened over the years. The oldest tin I had was a 1oz tin of Copes Escudo, from the 30’s. They didn’t vacuum seal those & as a result it was totally shot. Mummy dust.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have often repeated the story of Gidea Park Tobacco Stores run by two old biddies. In the early 1980s one died and the family sold up the shop. They had 'cutter top' tins coming out the arse for a few pounds each. I purchased a few and I should have purchased them all but my Father told me they would be no good! Not all advice given by your parents is right! rotf

Jun 9, 2018
England
At the 2019 Chicago Pipe Show I was handed a cigarette from a cutter top can. Probably 1950's vintage. It tasted like the best virginia blend I'd ever had and smoked like a cigar. At one point I had an inch long ash. On a cigarette.
A few years back I bought a cutter top tin of 50 Churchman's No1 cigarettes. I'd say the tin probably dated from about the late 1960's to the early 1970's.

The can was a bit rusty but the cigarettes inside were perfect. Not dry at all. The smell when I opened the can was delicious, very fruity. They were untipped and quite strong but they had a great flavour.

The tin looked just like this:

1708728739749.png

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
A few years back I bought a cutter top tin of 50 Churchman's No1 cigarettes. I'd say the tin probably dated from about the late 1960's to the early 1970's.

The can was a bit rusty but the cigarettes inside were perfect. Not dry at all. The smell when I opened the can was delicious, very fruity. They were untipped and quite strong but they had a great flavour.

The tin looked just like this:

View attachment 290893
I've been wanting to get my hands on vintage cigarettes any pointers ? I've googled till I'm blue in the face , cant seem to find them are there key words I'm missing out on? Feel free to DM me if you have any sources or advice. Thanks in advance.