Are you Happy with Dried Out Tobacco in a Trade?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big John Shea

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2019
Look I get it, I'm in the minority. You don't need to keep telling me that. Totally get it...

I traded an old tin to him too. I was prepared to be held accountable if there was a problem with it. Why? Because I'm a grown up. It's called accountability. Done it before on many other sales and trades.

Big John Shea

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2019
You’ve never said what “compromised” means. If sealed, how was it compromised? If you are saying there was no visible evidence the tin was anything but sealed and the contents were dry in a 20 year old tin - it happens.

There was rust at the base (which was not disclosed) and easily could have just been on the surface, but in this case it breached.

Some people will say, "just rehydrate it" well I'm sure you're all very excited to smoke rehydrated tobacco with bits of rust in it. I'm excited too. 😐

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
There was rust at the base (which was not disclosed) and easily could have just been on the surface, but in this case it breached.

Some people will say, "just rehydrate it" well I'm sure you're all very excited to smoke rehydrated tobacco with bits of rust in it. I'm excited too. 😐
You are really jumping to a lot of conclusions about what people think or will say so I won’t express an opinion.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I dont think people are saying you should be happy and no one has said you should not bring up the issue with the other party. I think they are simply pointing out the risks involved. Barter is always a tricky thing. Another reaon money was invented. A buck is a buck but its harder to quantify the value and quality of other items. Does this guy know the tin you got was a problem? I know Id want to make it equitable but that doesnt mean everyone would.

Reactions: fireground_piper

Big John Shea

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2019
I dont think people are saying you should be happy and no one has said you should not bring up the issue with the other party. I think they are simply pointing out the risks involved. Barter is always a tricky thing. Another reaon money was invented. A buck is a buck but its harder to quantify the value and quality of other items. Does this guy know the tin you got was a problem? I know Id want to make it equitable but that doesnt mean everyone would.
Yes, he knows. He told me to rehydrate it (many others have as well) and in more subtle terms, told me I'm SOL. He takes no responsibility.

Big John Shea

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2019
Look, I've literally been on the opposite end of this scenario before, multiple times. I IMMEDIATELY refunded the person because that's what grown up people do when they hold themselves accountable for their end of a deal.

It's okay if you disagree, I get it. Not everyone will agree. You just have to live with yourself.

Big John Shea

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2019
Was trading with a highly reputable and well known person in the community. He's literally an expert. He should know better than to trade out a rusty tin for top value.

Big John Shea

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2019
I wouldn't trade for 20-year-old tobacco expecting that it would be a good smoke, really at that point it's about the tin, not the contents.
Totally get that perspective. The tin I traded for most people would not have opened up to smoke. When we made the deal I told him it was gonna get smoked. After I cracked it he called me "legendary".

Big John Shea

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2019
I wouldn't trade for 20-year-old tobacco expecting that it would be a good smoke, really at that point it's about the tin, not the contents.
As a follow up to that, if you want to trade 20 year tobacco with me, you can feel certain that you will get what you bargain for from me.

Reactions: MattRVA

Big John Shea

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2019
Sure I can post some pics but honestly, I'm not here looking for advice. Not sure why you need pics.

Here's the inside of the tin after I poured it out to try and figure out why it is dry.

IMG_4985.jpeg

I posted this thread to get a pulse on what this community really is like, and honestly you're not giving a good impression of yourselves.

Seems like everyone but me and one other guy think that no matter what, trading or buying vintage tobacco means there's no guarantees from the pipe community.

Hope you guys are happy with whatever vintage tobacco you may have because if you're gonna operate like being fair in a deal is irrelevant, then you will likely have unhappy people on the other end of your deals. Eventually it will catch up to you.

• Wow
Reactions: FLDRD
Note to self, do not trade tobacco with a certain grumpy person. puffy

This is a hobby where we share stuff. Sometimes get the short end of the stick; sometimes we may feel like we made out like a bandit. Honestly, I dry all of my tobaccos out anyways, so getting a dry tin would just save me the trouble. I would be seriously happy with that. But, with anything that involves risk, if you can't afford to lose, don't play the game.

I'm sorry that you feel this way. I'm not sure what I could say to make you feel better. If I knew, I would say it.

Best wishes.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Not to be rude but it seems to me you are putting a lot of words into peoples mouths. It appears that you are angry but instead of giving the person who was invloved with this trade a piece of your mind you are venting your agressions on folks who are trying to be helpful. Perhaps they are not actually helpful (becuase really they cant be) but they arent the guy who reportedly ripped you off.

If this is a test its not the community here that is failing. I dont know you, but if I did, Id tell you to pull yourself together.

Big John Shea

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2019
Not to be rude but it seems to me you are putting a lot of words into peoples mouths. It appears that you are angry but instead of giving the person who was invloved with this trade a piece of your mind you are venting your agressions on folks who are trying to be helpful. Perhaps they are not actually helpful (becuase really they cant be) but they arent the guy who reportedly ripped you off.

If this is a test its not the community here that is failing. I dont know you, but if I did, Id tell you to pull yourself together.
Trust me. I already gave them a piece of my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.