PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
It's a necessary side effect of smoking. Drinking something and chewing gum will make it unnoticable and you'll get used to it soon enough anyway.
Having been used to it in the past... I was to the point that I smoked straight latakia... and then having a clean mouth for a couple decades, has made me appreciate the latter so much more.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’ve never had any bad after tastes in my mouth. Actually with all the blends I’ve smoked, combined with my smoking and cleaning styles, I have no after tastes at all in my mouth.

I’m not sure if it was mentioned, but for me personally, I found the blends have a lot to do with this.

Keep pipes nice and clean
Dry out the tobacco fairly crisp
Pack lightly
Sip slowly and don’t worry about keeping the pipe lit

To much fire/heat and constantly trying to keep the pipe lit, could be a big culprit.

Try changing to different styles/blends, and pipe habits of preparation, smoking and cleaning...

Less fire/heat and the occasional small slow sips will lead to better overall mouthfeel taste.

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
I’ve never had any bad after tastes in my mouth. Actually with all the blends I’ve smoked, combined with my smoking and cleaning styles, I have no after tastes at all in my mouth.

I’m not sure if it was mentioned, but for me personally, I found the blends have a lot to do with this.

Keep pipes nice and clean
Dry out the tobacco fairly crisp
Pack lightly
Sip slowly and don’t worry about keeping the pipe lit

To much fire/heat and constantly trying to keep the pipe lit, could be a big culprit.

Try changing to different styles/blends, and pipe habits of preparation, smoking and cleaning...

Less fire/heat and the occasional small slow sips will lead to better overall mouthfeel taste.
All excellent tips and possible issues for me. I learned to pack fairly densely in three stages, and to keep it lit with frequent puffs. I also smoke without drying the tobacco. I'll try the changes!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
All excellent tips and possible issues for me. I learned to pack fairly densely in three stages, and to keep it lit with frequent puffs. I also smoke without drying the tobacco. I'll try the changes!

Gravity Fill

Take small pinches, drop inside, and then tap the side of the bowl to help settle, and keep repeating till you reach near the top.

Then with only the heel of your thumb, allow it to press gently down, and with your heel holding the tobacco spin the pipe around, like 1/4 or 1/2 way, this spinning helps to gently tighten as well.

Doing it this way, you’ll never over tighten, and then, later, once you’ve gotten a feel for doing this, you can simply press ever so gently down with your thumb to pack.

Reactions: grand wazoo

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Mint? When getting back to smoking, that ashtray mouth feeling is stronger. Not sure how to fix that other than smoking more till you don't notice it.

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Mint? When getting back to smoking, that ashtray mouth feeling is stronger. Not sure how to fix that other than smoking more till you don't notice it.
There have been a lot of good suggestions here, most of which probably apply to me and how I have always smoked. I'm trying to avoid vs get used to it again. I like having a fresh mouth for food and beverage, otherwise I might not mind as much.

Jul 12, 2011
Learn Breath Smoking - best thing ever , with the right moisture and correct load you will only light the bowl once and have flavors burst'in out - took me awhile but kept at it / now it is paying off... bdw

What Is Breath Smoking? Breath smoking is a technique accentuating slower, shallower, and more meditative puffing, thus enhancing a broader spectrum of tobacco flavor and promoting a more comfortable experience.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Honestly, I just smoke on the mild/med side. I smoke 3-4 bowls a day and rarely get the stank mouth. It's really the dark-fired, aggressive tobaccos that are like a cigar in a bowl that get you all stanky.

I'm also very meticulous about cleaning my pipes.

hasser

Lurker
Jul 28, 2023
I recently started smoking again after quitting for over 20 years. I enjoy the feeling of smoking, but I hate the taste and smell that linger in my mouth. I don't want to ruin my oral health or offend anyone with my breath. Here are some tips that I found helpful to minimize the ashtray mouth:

- Brush your teeth and tongue thoroughly after every cigarette. Use a toothpaste that contains baking soda, which can neutralize the acids and odors from smoking
- Rinse your mouth with mouthwash or water. This can help to wash away any residue and freshen your breath].
- Chew gum or mints. These can mask the smell of smoke and stimulate saliva production, which can moisten your mouth and prevent dryness.
- Switch to vaping or dabs. These are less harmful than cigarettes and produce less odor and tar. They also come in various flavors that can make your mouth taste better.
- Clean your ashtray regularly. A dirty ashtray can emit a foul smell that can stick to your mouth and clothes. Use white vinegar to remove the stains and odors from your ashtray.

I hope these tips help you enjoy smoking without having to deal with the unpleasant aftertaste. Remember to smoke responsibly and in moderation, and consult your doctor if you have any concerns about your health.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I think good grades of tobacco that arent too wet will do the trick. Some tobaco has a nicer aftertaste than others but its purely subjective.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
I try to avoid smoking last thing in the evening, as I find the bad taste in my mouth is at its worst first thing in the morning. Also, drinking water or something else after a smoke seems to help with alleviating the effects.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
For me, personally, I do not tend to think I have “ashtray” mouth but instead have “lingering pipe tobacco essence” mouth. 🙂

That said, I personally tend to enjoy those lingering flavors and odors, so it is a generally positive experience. For those that are around me close enough to sometimes share the essence (aka… my wife)…. I will out of courtesy, when she would like a smooch, rinse with mouthwash ahead of time.

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
For me, a lot depends on aftertaste. I only smoke once, occasionally twice, a day. I LIKE a good aftertaste for a couple of hours, but then I want it to go away. Some tobaccos I can taste all evening, all night, and when I get up in the morning. Not good. Some others leave me with very little aftertaste to enjoy. Others hit the sweet spot where I can savor them for that couple of hours I like.
Different tobaccos seem to be very different for different people, but Cornell and Diehl's Autumn Evening works perfectly for me. You'll probably have to experiment, but that's fun too. :)
Marty

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
A American friend once told me to keep some chewing tobacco at hand for when you a bad taste from a tobacco, I have done this for over 40 years now, not just because I get a bad taste that is very rare for me but because I found I like chewing tobacco, easy to get some quality ones from G&H here in the UK.