PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Stampings are; a faux hallmark over "EXTRA" on the band (brass?) and "PAT'D AUG.23D.1904" over "No. 768508" on the bottom of the aluminum (I think) insert (bottom of what is normally the bowl). A previous posting from 2016 on the forum about a similar pipe HERE, but I have additional info. I have attached the original patent. I found someone online who figured out how to smoke this crazy looking thing, "It is indeed a metal bowl insert to be filled with tobacco, press fit into the bottom of the briar, and lit through the hole in the bottom of the metal insert. Wild." I have not attempted yet, but will give it a shot this weekend.

IMG_3274.jpegIMG_3276.jpegIMG_3275.jpeg

Attachments

• US768508.pdf
    193.8 KB · Views: 7

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Probab
Oh man, I just realized, do you need to pull that out every time you need to relight? I'm assuming that metal insert gets hot AF too!

Hahaha. That is probably the reason we have not heard much about this old boy. If it was used by sailors early in the 20th century, they may have gladly put up with that nonsense so they could have a smoke on rough seas.

• Haha
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think that's a better design. Mine is meant to smoked upright (although I did refer to it as an upside down pipe). Evidently, you light it at the bottom, through that small hole in the insert.
I'd say it's more of a carver showing off their skill than anything. Very impressive.

Reactions: Humblepipe

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada