PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Just popped a tin of Quiet Nights I've had since September, 2014. It's just absolutely super.

Probably the most creamy, eloquent, English I've had. Very similar mouthfeel to Penzance. It's still very smoky, but definitely seems softer and sweeter than I remember from previous tins, although it's been a few years since I last tried a fresh batch.

The tin was bulging significantly (as are all my GLP tins with close to 10 yrs on them) so I opened it for fear of it popping without my knowledge. I'm glad I did. The bbq smokiness hit me immediately. My wife cringed from the kitchen.

The strips were frosty enough with plume I had to get out a light amd inspect more thoroughly to verify it wasn't mold. It was not, just perfect plume.
I proceeded to break it apart a little bit more and dried (more to let it breathe than actually dry) for about 10 minutes... Then I loaded it up in a favorite Peterson System 303.

Upon lighting, it wafted huge white creamy clouds. An unexpected volume compared to my usual charring lights. The latakia up front, smoky but softer than fresh Cyprian. It has certainly been tamed by time and lost its rougher edge. The red VA is much sweeter now too. The oriental starts slightly spicy, but after a few minutes becomes more buttery. It plays for 2nd place with the Red Va throughout. The latakia is very forward but after a few minutes (around the time the turkish butters up) it only barely come up in front of the others. Overall a very balanced smoke. Only complex enough to keep my attention. It mostly changes in the first 3rd.
Not a lat bomb at all now, but very full and VERY different from most english blends on the market. Dark and deep, soft and creamy. Ridiculously creamy. The mouthfeel is full and thick. I'm not sure what happened to the perique, as I can't pinpoint it at any specific point. But as I'm not particularly a fan of the dark and spicy voodoo leaf, I don't mind at all. I prefer perique far in the background just there enough to give some body and strength with its black magic, without calling for my attention. I'm certain it contributes to the creaminess and thick mouthfeel, if not much to the taste.

It burns fairly slow with a greater than average number of relights.

While I wasn't a HUGE fan of Quiet Nights, I now think I've found a blend that ages well enough to intentionally cellar for that very purpose. Sadly, i think it's my last one. I'll have to wait another 10 yrs until I can enjoy this experience again. In the meantime, when I finish this one, I've got a few tins of Gaslight, Sextant, and Meridian from the same year.

MidTNPiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2023
Nashville, TN
Enjoying some right now, albeit much younger. This is one of those blends for me that prove the point, you just have to stick with it some times. I found it too florial the first time I tried it (maybe a 6 month old tin). That dies down and everything comes together nicely after a while. Great English. Interesting and complex, while easy smoking.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Quiet Nights is one of my favorite blends, and one of my favorite blends to age. The creaminess and heightened sweetness is one of the hallmarks of age on this one. The Latakia is there, but much more integrated and the Orientals blend nicely with the Virginias to create a nuanced but complex blend that doesn't hit you over the head with campfire smoke.

I have several pounds in the cellar varying from 3-9 years old at the moment. It's about time to crack a new tin since the mercury is starting to drop. It's a Fall tradition for me.

Enjoy!

biodarwin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2019
Indy
This is a blend, when fresh, just didn't do a lot for me. However, after 2 years, it smooths out and starts to sweeten and became one of my go-to's in my English rotation.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Not a lat bomb at all now, but very full and VERY different from most english blends on the market. Dark and deep, soft and creamy.

Re-read your detailed, well written review. Difference between lat bomb & very full is my exact sentiment. My threshold for Latakia is purely as a condiment, same as it is with Perique, I don’t like it as a strong, forward taste. There is something about the blend that allows a generous percentage of Latakia that I find tasty.

I like it both fresh & with some age (1 yr or less). I used to lament the rare-as-hen-teeth availability of Penzance, Quiet Nights filled that slot nicely.

Last edited:
Reactions: nathaniel

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Short story, last year I stopped by a shop to enjoy a bowl. Met a long time piper who loved “La-take-E-a”. He asked what was in my pipe, & I offered him some Quiet Nights from a freshly opened tin. Throughout the bowl, he commented how much he enjoyed it. I gave him the tin, he was thrilled.

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Quiet Nights is just a spectacular blend. The Dark Lord delivered the goods when he blended that one.
I love it and can't seem to stop buying more for my cellar. That and Charing Cross are my favorite Pease blends and are at the top of the list for me. The Drucquer and Sons stuff is starting to become that way as well. I want to try all of his work.

Last edited: