PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Maybe this isn't even worth asking, but I'm curious:

I usually use my Sheffield pipe knife for tamping, but have used my Czech tool the past few smokes just to change it up. I've noticed that the tools on it are very loose, and I have to hold the tool at the top to avoid pushing them out as I tamp. Would you say this is normal in your experience? Is there maybe a way to tighten the tools?

Reactions: kcghost and FLDRD

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I've owned two of the Czech tools and both of them hold in place pretty well. Just make sure they are stiff when you buy them because they will break in slightly. I'd just go grab another one because they're cheap. I mainly just use them for cleaning the dottle out when I'm done smoking though. For smoking I absolutely love my 10$ Deco. It covers way more tamp area and has holes in it so it doesn't snuff out your tobacco. Also, it looks cool.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Thank you all for your responses! I think I'll try the hammer method to tighten it up.

@hoipolloiglasgow, I've never heard of the Decos and certainly never thought of a the benefit of perforations. I might have to grab me one of those!

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Maybe this isn't even worth asking, but I'm curious:

I usually use my Sheffield pipe knife for tamping, but have used my Czech tool the past few smokes just to change it up. I've noticed that the tools on it are very loose, and I have to hold the tool at the top to avoid pushing them out as I tamp. Would you say this is normal in your experience? Is there maybe a way to tighten the tools?
Mine are the opposite; I wouldn’t mind them being a tad looser

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Possible counterfeit Czech tool. But how to tell and who cares? I like my Czech tools. Avoided at first since it looks like to be a busy tool, but after using it for awhile, everyone of the tools have use.

Reactions: sardonicus87

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Thank you all for your responses! I think I'll try the hammer method to tighten it up.

@hoipolloiglasgow, I've never heard of the Decos and certainly never thought of a the benefit of perforations. I might have to grab me one of those!
I was surprised at how good the quality is. It's just wide enough and fits all of my pipes. A really good design. Check them out at smokingpipes.

Reactions: Egg Shen and Snook

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I was surprised at how good the quality is. It's just wide enough and fits all of my pipes. A really good design. Check them out at smokingpipes.
I think the Decos look sharp when in public, and I like the ports as I often inhale while tamping. I’m sure air can still be taken in around the perimeter of non-ported ones but I just like how these perform a little more. Czech tools are great just to keep everywhere in case I forget my deco or nail. I keep one in the car, in the rucksack, etc. I dislike how their tamper is convex as opposed to the Deco’s concave and the pokers need sharpened but for $2 they have their place and appeal, and I don’t lose my mind when one is misplaced.

Reactions: hoipolloiglasgow

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pipe Nails, nails, golf tees, twigs, section of wire: all are useful.

But this can do more, and is good looking as well. I've seen prices under $5.00 and over $15.00.

Also all stainless steel models are just as good utility wise. JJ Fox in London sometimes gives them away with a large order.

shopping

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I have a bunch of different tampers & pipe tools, but by far the one I use the most is the Czech tool.

I've found that I mainly use the tamper on the Czech tool, with the pick coming in a close second. I never use the spoon.

I've eliminated the need to swivel the various parts of the Czech tool by securing the tamper & pick with a bolt, nut, & lock washer.

Simple, cheap, & works like a charm!

CzechTool1.jpg

CzechTool2.jpg