What The Heck?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

@cosmicfolklore A shame to throw them out after 1 smoke; waste of a clay! I think they probably smoked them until they broke...
Yeh, some kept them, but there was a river walk... somewhere, I can't remember the location, but there were piles of clay pipes there, because so many people would just toss the pipes as they walked and smoked away from the tobacconist. There was like a documentary about it. But yeh, I imagine many did keep their pipes.

Reactions: The Clay King

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Yeh, some kept them, but there was a river walk... somewhere, I can't remember the location, but there were piles of clay pipes there, because so many people would just toss the pipes as they walked and smoked away from the tobacconist. There was like a documentary about it. But yeh, I imagine many did keep their pipes.
@cosmicfolklore I'd love to find a load of clays; clean them up and smoke some Gawith in them. Perfect for the Clay King as he likes river wading:)
Rotherham Bridge Chapel (where I took part in a volunteer day with Don Catchment Rivers Trust) had been used as a tobacconist before it was restored and they sold clay pipes; we didn't find any in the river though...
Anthony (one of our team leaders) says he found a clay pipe & pewter tankard; he said they were mine, as were the Condor / St Bruno packets I found while litter picking:)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I read in this forum many years ago about a spot in London, on the Thames, near a long ago clay pipe factory where there were thousands of shards of pipes in the river bed. Seconds and thirds, perhaps. There were references to write-ups in UK papers. Sorry, that's all I recall.

Reactions: The Clay King

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
You (Or someone else) guillotined a torpedo cigar and put it in your pipe.

This reminded me of a situation from a Mr. Bean episode where he puts a holiday greeting card in his own mailbox. Later on, when he receives the card he is both surprised and elated.

I was just about to say; the cap of a cigar...

LOL 😆

P.S. I’ve watched all of Mr. Bean, that scene was a good one. LOL 😆

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
It sure looks like the tip of a cigar. Might crumble up a few and try smoking them. I've done that with decent results.
Yep. Or just leave them as is. Little nest of Five Brothers, stack of 4-5 clipped caps, little more Five Brothers... it's good.

Try it in a cob