PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jedibastard

Lurker
Feb 16, 2023
Ok.
So some how some of my wifes perfume got near, and possibly on the outside bowl of 2 my pipes. How and why? Ill spare the details.
But. Main question is.... HOW DO I GET THIS GOD AWFUL SMELL OFF THE OUTSIDE OF THE BOWL AND STEM?!?!?!?! From what i can tell, its either the aroma of, or a very small amount, if any, touched the briar.
The salt and alcohol trick may work for the inside of the bowl, which surprisingly doesnt smell. But its the outside of the bowl im concerned about. I have the stems soaking in oxyclean, and im on my 4th cleaning/scrubbing of the briar with murphys soap!!!!
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!!!! These may be estate finds off ebay, but they have been the only 2 ive touched in a very very long time, and honestly, 2 of my favorites so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’m getting convinced that all briar in unvarnished pipes will breathe.

Smoke the hell out of them and get them hot.

The heat, or smoke, or oils or something inside the briar will expel the perfume, the same way it got in.

Do not wax them until the perfume smell leaves.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Id say clean it with mild soap and water but you will lose the shine. If you dont have a buffer thats a hassle. You could take a few pinches of cheap tobacco and toss it all in a baggie. It will probably win the scent battle. Time to move the pipe rack.

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
Better than the poor guy who dropped his into doggy doo 😢

You may get brownie points if you tell your wife you’re reminded of her every time you pick up your favourite pipe 😁
Any time doodoo and pipes are mentioned in the same post I can’t help but think of the dirtiest man. A nomad that walked the earth and smoked dung from his pipe. Haunting.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Put the pipes in a Tupperware container filled with ground coffee. It doesn't have to be a lot but at least line the bottom of the container. Let it sit for a day and check it out. If needed, go a few more days.

Reactions: Briar Lee