New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I stumbled across something and figured I'd share with the class.

Leather pipe stands look nice but can be a little costly. Amazon sells leather headstock straps for just over $1 a piece and they are available in several colors.

Normally, the straps are meant for guitars, but they can be repurposed as pipe stands at a fraction of the cost.

Enjoy.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Got mine some years ago from this guy up in Canada. He runs wax canvas bag company with some odds and ends. Like my leather stand. But thinking it would have been easy just making my own. And there's those that came with Peterson pipes on occasions.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I believe you're correct. Thank you.
They're huge and fun. About 20 years ago, one guy in our pipe club got one, and it was such a hit that many of us also got one! Hobbits would approve. (must admit I don't reach for it often, though!)

1665899991220.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
They're huge and fun. About 20 years ago, one guy in our pipe club got one, and it was such a hit that many of us also got one! Hobbits would approve. (must admit I don't reach for it often, though!)

View attachment 175353
Not the chamber depth I was expecting, but it looks like a fun pipe. Almost like a curchwarden, bent billiard, and an Oom Paul had some drinks. I was also unaware that other brands had a P-lip.

Thank you for your comments. They are appreciated.

hyperstar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2022
Formosa, Taiwan
I make my own artificial leather strap stand. It's easy and cheap to make.

What you need is:
Artificial leather strap x1 ('Cause it cheaper than real leather strap)
Scissor x1
Strap hole puncher x1
Bolt & Screw x1
Washer x2
Lighter x1 (Burn the cut edge so it won't break.)
You can glue the bolt & screw if you want.

488828.jpg
488827.jpg

Last edited:

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I make my own artificial leather strap stand. It's easy and cheap to make.

What you need is:
Artificial leather strap x1 ('Cause it cheaper than real leather strap)
Scissor x1
Strap hole puncher x1
Bolt & Screw x1
Washer x2
Lighter x1 (Burn the cut edge so it won't break.)
You can glue the bolt & screw if you want.

View attachment 175574
View attachment 175575
I admire your ambition. If you will allow me I would like to make a suggestion. I think you could "slick them up", if instead of using a washer and a bolt you used a washer and a rivit Last I looked you can pick up a riveting kit pretty cheap. If on the other hand, you're going for an industrial look, then you're spot on. puffy

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
These things are really cheap. A guy in our pipe club makes them for $8. These things have been around for twenty years or more. If you make it yourself, it's a lot cheaper but then you have to make it yourself.