PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
I got the bug I think, but maybe not as bad as some. But I may be headed that way, Thus far I have only eight pipes in my rotation of use. I am thinking I want to obtain several more. I am unsure how to go about storing a large collection of pipes. I would love to see pictures of how you store your pipes for rotation of use. Looking for ideas Thank You.

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
There are as many different ways to store as there are pipe smokers. I like mine on racks. It allows good air circulation for drying and it allows me to look over the group to pick out my next pipe to smoke. Down side is it can cause a smell that some don’t like.
I am pretty handy and was thinking of making my own rack. Now that you mention the smell problem maybe something with glass doors or something Hmm. My six-pipe rack with a jar filled up fast in just one month getting back into pipe smoking.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I am pretty handy and was thinking of making my own rack. Now that you mention the smell problem maybe something with glass doors or something Hmm. My six-pipe rack with a jar filled up fast in just one month getting back into pipe smoking.
@Morsoth created a beautiful pipe rack and posted the specs on this forum. A quick search of his posts will reveal the specs and pictures of the finished product (since he only has about 20 posts).

Just an idea.

Reactions: chopper and Scottmi

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I have an old round Dunhill 20 pipe rack, but it is awkward and takes up too much room, and many pipes don't fit easily. I am liking these options: rolling tool chest, vintage map chest
The pipes I am smoking 'in rotation' as it were, i usually keep in an old camera bag that also holds some tobacco, pipe cleaners, lighter, a cigar or two, etc. Can grab it and head out to porch or on the road.. For the round carousel, the dome is great for keeping dust off the stems. Current out of the way place for these is in the basement.
IMG_2580.jpg

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
The pipes I am smoking 'in rotation' as it were, i usually keep in an old camera bag that also holds some tobacco, pipe cleaners, lighter, a cigar or two, etc. Can grab it and head out to porch or on the road.. For the round carousel, the dome is great for keeping dust off the stems. Current out of the way place for these is in the basement.
View attachment 183695
Dome is a nice touch.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
View attachment 183695
I really like that domed rack! Very cool.

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
View attachment 183695
I like the old camera bag idea may have a few of those around here. So many options.

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
I Have a few racks that I use. Most of my pipes are either in a leather carrying case designed for pipes or sitting on a leather loop pipe stand made by @olkofri
Yes I like the leather loops also I have a leather shop and make them with tool set in them. But I was thinking along the lines how to store 20 or 30 pipes for rotation

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
sock divider in a drawer. egg cartons. ashtrays. racks. fishing rod clips on the wall. bent wire cradles on pegboard. eyeglass/sunglass storage containers. ball bearings and tool magnetic strips. lots of ways to store pipes. are you type A, or is organized chaos your preference?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I was given this cabinet from my father in laws dad. And yes it's as heavy as it looks. But great for my pipes and tobacco.

PXL_20221129_004748607.jpgPXL_20221129_005935400.jpgPXL_20221129_005946800.jpgPXL_20221129_010007271.jpgPXL_20221129_010015583.jpg

And the little cabinet was my great grandfather's. My dad kept it for his harmonicas and extra guitar strings and such. Zippo rack was found at an antique store. I'd been searching for a year before I found the perfect display.
PXL_20221129_010026038.jpgPXL_20221129_010038863.jpgPXL_20221129_010048278.jpg