PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

piranesi

Lurker
Jul 26, 2022
Hey all,
I'm wondering if you can help me figure something out.

I'm relatively new to pipe smoking, but I've smoked at least 20 different blends through about 15 different pipes, a few of those being Missouri Meerschaum corncobs (Country Gent, Diplomat, Legend,). I always enjoyed the smoking experience with any blend out of my cobs, they always smoked extremely dry, but I came to dislike the cheap stems quite a bit.

Recently I bought a MM Shire Cobbit and I love the acrylic stem, but I've been getting gurgle from this pipe every time over about 10 smokes. I've tried different blends, different tobacco moisture levels, different smoking speeds. Part of the reason I liked cobs so much was because I didn't have to worry about that stuff...but at the moment it's one of my wettest smoking pipes. What gives? I don't think I've ever had gurgle with any other corncob, they've smoked so dry that I thought it was physically impossible. Physically the pipe doesn't seem different from my other cobs, same materials/construction of the stummel it seems. I'm stumped..

Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences?

Thanks

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Cobs vary tremendously in many different ways. I’ve never had one gurgle but I’m not surprised to hear one does. I’d give it time and long rests between smokes, keep a pipe cleaner handy while smoking it. It could improve. They change with time and smoking.

Reactions: piranesi
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Recently I bought a MM Shire Cobbit and I love the acrylic stem, but I've been getting gurgle from this pipe every time over about 10 smokes. I've tried different blends, different tobacco moisture levels, different smoking speeds. Part of the reason I liked cobs so much was because I didn't have to worry about that stuff...but at the moment it's one of my wettest smoking pipes. What gives? I don't think I've ever had gurgle with any other corncob, they've smoked so dry that I thought it was physically impossible. Physically the pipe doesn't seem different from my other cobs, same materials/construction of the stummel it seems. I'm stumped..
Seems like it must be the stem, as that's the only significant difference. Is the draw the same (wide open) as your other cobs? What does the end of the stem look like?

You know how the small tubes in an air conditioner collect and drip water while it runs? That is a "condensing". The longer the stem on a pipe and the more turbulence the smoke goes through before reaching the end of the bit, the more water condenses inside the stem, and drips down the stem to collect at the end, and makes a gurgle.

Especially when its cold a long stem or a bent stem will particularly condense more water out of the smoke. It takes just one very small droplet of water setting at the entrance of where the stem meets the shank to make an awful gurgle.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Run a long old church warden cleaner while you smoke and or cover the bowl with your thumb a flick outward like you are trying to pack a tin of chewing tobacco, crack that whip, wipe out bowl with paper towel after each smoke and when possible leave bowl sans stem out in the sun ( the sun will really dry out and purify a cob)

Reactions: piranesi and alexnc

Valaam

Lurker
Aug 3, 2022
Hey all,
I'm wondering if you can help me figure something out.

I'm relatively new to pipe smoking, but I've smoked at least 20 different blends through about 15 different pipes, a few of those being Missouri Meerschaum corncobs (Country Gent, Diplomat, Legend,). I always enjoyed the smoking experience with any blend out of my cobs, they always smoked extremely dry, but I came to dislike the cheap stems quite a bit.

Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences?

Thanks
As it happens, I recently acquired a MM Shire Hobbit and I also noticed a bit of a gurgle. I've only smoked it a couple of times and am reserving judgement until iI've used it a bit more. If nothing else works for you, you might try something like Nording Keystones in it. These can help keep a non-filtered pipe drier, but the improvement is modest in my experience. I really dislike a wet smoke, so the majority of my pipes are filtered. I find paper filters to be useless and go with balsa and charcoal filters.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I tend to be a pretty dry smoker, so gurgles are unusual for me, and I've never had a cob gurgle that I recall. I think clenching a long stem pipe might encourage some moisture to run down the airway instead of the moisture being generated by combustion by the pipe itself. Just a guess.

SmokeRings79

Can't Leave
Oct 23, 2021
Israel
I find that I get a gurgle only in the autumn and the winter, as the cool air condensate the water portion of the smoke. I don't know where you live or if you smoke outside, or if you recently smoked other pipes as well, but it might explain it, even if partially.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I have one of those and it doesn’t gurgle, it may a unique thing with that one since your other cobs don’t gurgle. I agree with running a churchwarden cleaner into it on the first gurgle and a short blow into the chamber.

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
Here is a hack you can try for the longer stemmed cobs. Take a 2 inch piece of pipe cleaner. Preferably the narrow end of a tapered pipe cleaner and stuff it into the bit where it connects to the shank. It will stop excess moisture collecting and dripping down. Good for about 1 bowl at a time.