PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I have been looking at a Volkan pipe that caught my eye. Anyone have one in their collection? How is the quality?

I won't be buying it, as I'm not keen on the stamping. Perhaps a minor issue, but it detracts from the pipe for me and I wouldn't be able to stop looking at it.

However, I do think it otherwise looks good. And it's marked as "hand made" in the advertising. Is the rest of their line machine made?

They seem to have pipes in the $100-$200 range, but this one is $700+

Is this something along the lines of a Savinelli Autograph?

Anyway, interesting looking pipe (mammoth accent). Haven't noticed the company until now and am curious to know if they are well constructed...

Volkan-Handmade-VIP-Hybrid-w-Mammoth-The-Danish-Pipe-Shop-img-109878-w1100-h413.jpg
Volkan-Handmade-VIP-Hybrid-w-Mammoth-The-Danish-Pipe-Shop-img-109879-w1100-h404.jpg
Volkan-Handmade-VIP-Hybrid-w-Mammoth-The-Danish-Pipe-Shop-img-109880-w1100-h452.jpg

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Yeah, the drilling and mechanics were as good as my Petersons that cost about the same. Oh hang on, that isn't a ringing endorsement, is it?😑

No seriously, the drilling and finish is fine on my Volkan and my Petersons.
The stylized V/Arrow marking on the stem is nice and unobtrusive matching the stripe is also a nice touch in overall cohesive design. I don’t usually like that shape but this one is very nice because of the attention to detail, very nice…

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I have a Volkan bulldog. Their designs are eye catching (a reverse calabash looks sharp too).

However, the draw isn't as open as I'd like and I don't trust myself trying to open it up (although simple ideas would be appreciated).

As a result, I would not order another. However, they will reasonably negotiate on price.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I have been looking at a Volkan pipe that caught my eye. Anyone have one in their collection? How is the quality?

I won't be buying it, as I'm not keen on the stamping. Perhaps a minor issue, but it detracts from the pipe for me and I wouldn't be able to stop looking at it.

However, I do think it otherwise looks good. And it's marked as "hand made" in the advertising. Is the rest of their line machine made?

They seem to have pipes in the $100-$200 range, but this one is $700+

Is this something along the lines of a Savinelli Autograph?

Anyway, interesting looking pipe (mammoth accent). Haven't noticed the company until now and am curious to know if they are well constructed...

View attachment 176077
View attachment 176078
View attachment 176079

It’s a very nice piece. Great grain, nice density of bird eyes, complex design. Compared to the time spent to make it and the choices of materials 700 bucks is a realistic calculation.

Not really my style whatever that is. I wouldn’t buy any new pipe either.

A word on photography, yes shure you can do whatever you want with digital imaging. If it leads to deliberate deception you’re out of the pipe business. For my eyes the photos of this pipe show no hint to any whitewashing.

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
I recently purchased 8 Volkan pipes handmade by Alberto Paronelli from their Italian distributor, pipeshop-it (12,000 eBay sales and not one negative comment.) No one has those Volkan design elements at that price. No one.

I have been collecting pipes for over 30 years and venture that this great pricing will not last long. i love Savinelli and own a dozen of their pipes but Volkan designs and workmanship are equal or better at 80% of the cost. They smoke well, too. I think these Volkan Paronelli pipes are a great investment and will hold their resale value in the secondary market. Whoever designs their pipes is a genius.IMG_7967.pngIMG_7967.pngIMG_7973.pngIMG_7974.pngIMG_7971.pngIMG_7968.png

Attachments

• IMG_7973.png
    IMG_7973.png
    243.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
This history on Volkan pipes is from the Danish Pipes website:

Volkan Pipe is a great story! Behind the brand is third generation of the famous Italian pipemaker family Paronelli: Alberto Paronelli. Pipes is in the blood of this family. His brother Ariberto is running the Paronelli pipe company and together they manage an important pipe museum in the city of Gavirate not far from Milan in Italy. The Volkan name comes from the nickname of his grand father: Volcano. Volkan pipes are all handmade from Sardinian briar or olive wood. Its fine quality pipes with the Italian twist and a young man's mind.

LEP7cv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2020
Portugal
I recently purchased 8 Volkan pipes handmade by Alberto Paronelli from their Italian distributor, pipeshop-it (12,000 eBay sales and not one negative comment.) No one has those Volkan design elements at that price. No one.

I have been collecting pipes for over 30 years and venture that this great pricing will not last long. i love Savinelli and own a dozen of their pipes but Volkan designs and workmanship are equal or better at 80% of the cost. They smoke well, too. I think these Volkan Paronelli pipes are a great investment and will hold their resale value in the secondary market. Whoever designs their pipes is a genius.View attachment 241648View attachment 241648View attachment 241654View attachment 241651View attachment 241652View attachment 241653
are these "nosewarmers"? they look great

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
not one negative comment.
That could be a bit of ebay sleight of hand. The site won't accept negative comments until a week after the item is received. In that amount of time dissatisfied purchases could be resolved by exchanges, returns, or refunds.