PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

slavman68

Lurker
Oct 10, 2022
What blends just didn't live up to the hype for you? For me it was Carolinia Red Flake 2022 by Cornell & Diehl. It was my first year trying it and it smells better than it tastes. Lots of Virginias are way better.

Reactions: kschatey

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
We already have an ongoing thread on this. I do wonder how many of these disappointments are more a matter of operator error than any sort of fault with the blend in question.
The one's that I dislike, I dislike because after wide experimentation with moisture levels, packing, chamber shapes and sizes, they still taste like crap to me. Even then it's not the fault of the blend. There's no fault involved. It's individual taste.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
We already have an ongoing thread on this. I do wonder how many of these disappointments are more a matter of operator error than any sort of fault with the blend in question.
The one's that I dislike, I dislike because after wide experimentation with moisture levels, packing, chamber shapes and sizes, they still taste like crap to me. Even then it's not the fault of the blend. There's no fault involved. It's individual taste.
Well said sir.

I think that it's great to talk about blends that we don't like. Many of my favorites are listed here. But, I am always amazed that people get so offended by these sorts of threads. Feel free to hate absolutely every one of the blends that I love. Maybe people will buy less of them, and it will be more readily available. puffy

Peter Stokkebye's flakes, blech... don't buy them. puffy

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Opinions are just that. They most often have some value. Or not. I like to hear what other people think. And not get all butt-hurt if I don't agree with them. WTF happened to "men' lately? Maybe too many wearing those skinny jeans.

Overated blend/s ? Esoterica. ALL OF THEM !!!

and that crappy version of Balkan Sobranie. (should be re-labeld as Horse Manure)

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My experience with blends has been pretty dynamic, by which I mean, blends I that have been harsh or not tasty in the first three bowls, over time or after being put aside, have come back as decidedly good on a later sampling. And some blends that have been a real pleasure have sometimes not worn well. I think most blends improve with some time to learn about them. I think sometimes a long vacation from a blend allows me to figure it out so when I go back to it, it makes perfect sense, far fetched as that may sound.

Taste and olfactory (smell) experiences are complex and involve a learning experience, like learning to enjoy coffee as a young person.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Sable pretty much nailed it; the subjective nature of individual taste ostensibly makes it a futile (and therefore, erroneous) endeavor to cast aspersions on the blend itself, whatever it may be.
I don't know, man. I'm going to stick with casting aspersions on Borkum Riff Whiskey. That stuff is wretched.