PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
The owner of one of the oldest and most respected makers of pipe tobacco blends is willing to engage here and is being straight up about the business, not blowing smoke or telling you want you want to hear, and who else has ever done that. So how about some respect.

You've been hearing for years that square and rectangular tins are not made for nor reliable for long term storage and if you disregarded that information that's on you, not on the manufacturers. Their job is to get their products to market for sale in good condition. What individuals decide to do with the product once they've purchased it isn't the concern of manufacturers.

The whole practice of cellaring is a recent development and its risks and rewards belong to the people who cellar, and isn't the concern of quality manufacturers, who bring to market blends ready to be enjoyed, not "OK but wait a few years". Hence Germain's response to all of this aging as "quit faffing about".
Jesse if half these fuckers could read, much less comprehend, there’d be quite a few less posts in this thread.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Just received a tin of Samuel Gawith Fire Dance and opened it by removing the plastic seal and the lid fell right off. Yes, it's clear that the tin was vacuum sealed, but it didn't actually seal since the GH&Co. cardboard insert was actually between the lip of the tin bottom and the lid. The tobacco is a bit dry and has no aroma of the blackberry/vanilla/brandy topping that I was expecting.

PXL_20220809_012741100~2.jpg

My only concern is that I have no idea if the product I received is actually in its intended form/condition. I wanted this tin to compare against some old, dried out Fire Dance that I had purchased several years ago from a bulk jar at a tobacconist that is nothing like all of the descriptions that I have read online about Fire Dance. Well, this tin is very much just like that old bulk tobacco as none of the aromatic qualities seem to be left. :(