PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have thoroughly enjoyed in my life reading the history of the Heroic Age of Antarctic Exploration. Most notably the epic work of Apsley Cherry-Garrard "The Worst Journey In The World" As such, I was amazed to find that Peterson had at some point produced a set of 4 pipes dedicated to some of the greats of this era, Raold Amundsen, Robert Scott, Ernest Shackleton, and IMO the most heroic Tom Crean. I never had high hopes of finding a complete set, and have been scouring for years to find even one of the four to no avail. Today that has changed. I found not only one, but a complete set overseas that is now on it's way to Alaska. I couldn't be more thrilled. The grain on the Amundsen pipe even evokes throughts of the swirling snow drifts centering on the South Pole. @odobenus I know you're with me on this one!!!!

pete explorer set.jpgPete amundsen.jpgPete scott.jpgPete shackleton.jpgPete Crean.jpg

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
That's a tough call!
Yeah, I suppose he won't take me up on it, but solidarity, ya know?

It may even be faulty, because it was only put to real world use with a very unsatisfactory result.

Last time I wore it, a player let one rip from the blue line. Thinking I would catch it in the gut, I stood fast while it came in, easy-peasy. As it turned out, I misjudged the trajectory and it connected with the very tip; the puck dropping in front of me.

While I was choking on my vomit, coach was screaming at me to jump on the puck as everyone rushed in for the kill. I did a face plant and landed on it. Carried off the ice to cheers and jeers.

Coach: "At least it didn't go through the five hole, eh?" He was a real prick.

Finished the season and my hockey career that day. Adopted a nice healthy boy many years later...

Goalies get no respect. Hopefully he gets more respect from his wife for choosing such a fabulous set, perhaps pointing to some magnificent grain. But if not... well, best to be prepared, I guess. Alaksan women are made from tough stuff, I hear.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Yeah, I suppose he won't take me up on it, but solidarity, ya know?

It may even be faulty, because it was only put to real world use with a very unsatisfactory result.

Last time I wore it, a player let one rip from the blue line. Thinking I would catch it in the gut, I stood fast while it came in, easy-peasy. As it turned out, I misjudged the trajectory and it connected with the very tip; the puck dropping in front of me.

While I was choking on my vomit, coach was screaming at me to jump on the puck as everyone rushed in for the kill. I did a face plant and landed on it. Carried off the ice to cheers and jeers.

Coach: "At least it didn't go through the five hole, eh?" He was a real prick.

Finished the season and my hockey career that day. Adopted a nice healthy boy many years later...

Goalies get no respect. Hopefully he gets more respect from his wife for choosing such a fabulous set, perhaps pointing to some magnificent grain. But if not... well, best to be prepared, I guess. Alaksan women are made from tough stuff, I hear.
I only played goalie in 2 games in my career. Hated it. The season we won the Anchorage City Championships as a kid I recorded a hat trick and 12 saves in the same game though (our starter goalie got hurt). No NHL player has ever done that!!!!! Only hat trick of my "career".