PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ykw5264

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
D.C.
Title edited for caps and brevity. Old title:

"Are there any famous lighter-flavored tobaccos you would recommend for new pipe smokers?"

Thank you for your recommendation!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: chopper and JOHN72

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Your question is going to yield more questions than answer Initially.
For example, what have you smoked already? Without knowing what you have tried, it’s hard to tell you what is a “lighter flavored“ tobacco.
There’s a lot of pipe smoking knowledge on this forum and everyone has something to offer when it comes to recommending good tobacco.
if possible, provide a little more information on your interest in tobacco flavors, strength and anything else that would help us steer you in the right direction.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
As a previous post said, there's many questions that could be replied to your question. What have you tried? What didn't you like? Etc.

One thing that helped me early on was trying best sellers, and buying bulk blends by the ounce. Start small - 5 ounces, 5 different blends. Get a feel for what you like and don't like. It's also a cheap way to discover what leaf you prefer.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
As a fellow newbie I'd recommend trying some of the Gawith blends, a lot of them are topped to various degrees with flavor but still have pretty robust tobacco to back it up. Basically if you can smoke burleys and virginias well enough you can probably tip toe towards something resembling aromatics through their stuff.

Reactions: JOHN72

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I’d go with tobaccos that have a lighter topping rather than straight goop. Full blown aros are much better once you’ve nailed down your technique.

PS Luxury Twist Flake
4th Generation 2012
MacBaren Vanilla Roll Cake
Comoy’s Cask #2 Portwood
Peretti Cuban Mixture
Sillem’s Black (if you are ok with Latakia)
Esoterica Dunbar or Dorchester
Low Country Santee
Ken Byron Bright Side
HU Makhuwa
Peterson Royal Yacht
Watch City Old Black Magic

Among others

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Title edited for caps and brevity. Old title:

"Are there any famous lighter-flavored tobaccos you would recommend for new pipe smokers?"

Thank you for your recommendation!
As others have already suggested, it would help if you gave us an idea of what you already like.
The main consideration when I'm looking to purchase a blend that's new to me is the nicotine levels.
Since switching from a cigarette addiction over 12 years ago, I'm careful to choose blends with mild Vit N.

The blends that Cshubhra suggested ^^^ would turn me green :eek: but if you like heaps of nicotine, go for it.
Before ordering an untried blend, check out www.tobaccoreviews.com
I pay particular attention to fellow member JimInks reviews.

Burley blends like Carter Hall, Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh are all mild and tasty.
Sutliff Sunrise [Early Morning Pipe Match] is a tasty mild slightly sweet introduction to English blends.
Jesses Own from 4noggins is a very tasty mild blend that would be a perfect introduction to Latakia and Perique which are both added with a light hand.
Orlik Golden Sliced is a very good Virginia blend with light flavouring.
One mild 'semi-aromatic' that I'm enjoying right now is Covered Bridges from 4noggins.

These are just some of the "lighter-flavoured" blends that I'd recommend that I'd recommend to those who prefer mild blends with mild nicotine.
If one prefers stouter blends with enough Vit N to choke a horse then follow Cshubhra's recommendations. puffy

Reactions: FLDRD and JOHN72