PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesNS

Lurker
Dec 5, 2021
Hey folks,
I recently purchased a Kiribi Kabuto lighter, and (mostly) love it so far.
My question is this: I'm having issues filling it that I've never experienced with a butane lighter before. After purging, when I try to apply the nozzle of the butane can to the filler-tip on the lighter, the former doesn't connect properly with the latter, so the canister's nozzle depresses and blasts backward, spraying butane everywhere (just not into the lighter). In order to get the the canister to connect with the lighter, I need to remove the screw around the lighter's filler and take the base off, and then I can align the two for successful filling.

Is that the purpose of the screw around the lighter's filler? I can't find anything online recommending that I need to take the base off for filling. Or is it possible that Colibri butane canisters have nozzles that are too fat to fit properly with this lighter?

One more thing: I can't remember which forum-member mentioned recently that this lighter is a hell of a lot easier to light left-handed. Anyone else have that experience?

Thanks very much!
I need to remove the threaded bit around the filler of my Kiribi Kabuto to fill.
The cans of Colibri I bought online have a stepped nozzle that won’t go deep enough otherwise. Bit of a pain, but I own 6 cans! None of the adapters work either. The nozzle fits the Old Boy fine.

Reactions: odobenus

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Since I was in the process of refilling one of my Kiribi Kabutos and had a caliper handy, I mic'd the opening of the Kiribi Kabuto's filler port. Measures .125". The part of the filler tube on the Xikar can where it necks up measures .130", and the thinner part only extends about .150", so it won't fully seat on the nozzle. Sprays butane everywhere.

Taking the collar out and drilling it out with a #29 drill bit would solve that...2DC5F904-C01B-4CEF-AA72-6E51D8ED55A5.jpeg

Reactions: odobenus

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
So, 6 months after identifying what needed to be done, I rectified the situation…

My last can of Special Blue ran out, and since I was standing the shop, I unscrewed the collar for filler on the lighter. Looking at the threaded portion that screws into the lighter, it appeared to me that it would be too thin to drill out with a #29 bit. I would most likely do nothing more than remove it by drilling it.

So reaming it out might give enough room to let the nozzle seat far enough in in order to fill the lighter with the Xikar can. I reamed it as far as I figured I could without have the threaded tube ending up detached from the rest of the assembly.

Now the nozzle seats far enough in in order to engage the filler valve. Some fuel still sprays from the lighter, but nowhere near as much. Topped off and plenty of pressure. I could adjust the flame length valve again… or wait another 6 months to do that.

C8A31542-FF4C-489C-9E6F-D56BB4454D83.jpegF4705C94-E92F-4C31-BF6E-5C46EC5CE133.jpegEFBF91A4-6D40-4E6E-B2A8-E57AF2009DBB.jpeg