PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I noticed that the Chelsea Morning and Quiet Nights appear to be very similar. For those whom have smoked both which do you prefer and why? As a newby I probably would lean towards trying one of these but I am seeking the sweeter less peppery version.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I smoke Chelsea Morning every morning with my coffee. I have a particular pipe that likes Chelsea Morning, and I find it tastes great with coffee or tea. All my Chelsea Morning is from 2015, so it has some nice age to it. Quiet Nights is a bit different, even though they have mostly the same ingredients. Quiet Nights is a bit stronger IMO, but honestly, I don't smoke it often as I have other blends I prefer in the evening. IMO neither has an overly peppery taste. The Perique in both is used as a condiment and is very much in the background. I would not describe either as "sweet"

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I am one of the few smokers who does not care for Chelsea Morning. For some reason it was very finicky about the particular pipe that was used and it just came out tasting "Meh" to me. But I'm in minority. Most people love it.

Quiet Nights on the other hand, I have pounds of the stuff put away and really enjoy it with a little age on it. But even fresh, I love it. Probably my favorite English/Balkan blend out there.

I don't find the two all that similar, to be honest. CM has a touch of Latakia in it, but its flavor is dominated by the Virginias and the Orientals.

QN, on the other hand, has a very substantial amount of Latakia. So the flavor is deeper, richer and more full in my opinion. Plus it is based mostly on Red Virginias and it is pressed into flakes. So the heat and the pressure of the pressing has changed the overall flavor to something almost stoved.

If you're looking for "sweeter, more peppery", then CM might be where you want to start, but you owe it yourself to at least try QN. It is a great blend.

Another choice might be Westminster. A great "all day" English/Balkan with a good measure of Oriental leaf, but no Perique. It is sweet and spicy (not pepper, per se; but more cooking spices) with a enough smoky Latakia to give it some depth and earthiness.

Hope the search works out for you!

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I am one of the few smokers who does not care for Chelsea Morning. For some reason it was very finicky about the particular pipe that was used and it just came out tasting "Meh" to me. But I'm in minority. Most people love it.

Quiet Nights on the other hand, I have pounds of the stuff put away and really enjoy it with a little age on it. But even fresh, I love it. Probably my favorite English/Balkan blend out there.

I don't find the two all that similar, to be honest. CM has a touch of Latakia in it, but its flavor is dominated by the Virginias and the Orientals.

QN, on the other hand, has a very substantial amount of Latakia. So the flavor is deeper, richer and more full in my opinion. Plus it is based mostly on Red Virginias and it is pressed into flakes. So the heat and the pressure of the pressing has changed the overall flavor to something almost stoved.

If you're looking for "sweeter, more peppery", then CM might be where you want to start, but you owe it yourself to at least try QN. It is a great blend.

Another choice might be Westminster. A great "all day" English/Balkan with a good measure of Oriental leaf, but no Perique. It is sweet and spicy (not pepper, per se; but more cooking spices) with a enough smoky Latakia to give it some depth and earthiness.

Hope the search works out for you!
That's interesting because even though I love my Chelsea Morning, in one particular pipe, it doesn't taste the same in any of my other pipes. So, I understand what you're saying. It could be I just got lucky with the right pipe. But I shouldn't be surprised as we all know that certain pipes in our collection smoke different blends differently.

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
That's interesting because even though I love my Chelsea Morning, in one particular pipe, it doesn't taste the same in any of my other pipes. So, I understand what you're saying. It could be I just got lucky with the right pipe. But I shouldn't be surprised as we all know that certain pipes in our collection smoke different blends differently.
You guys are freaking me out. So not only do I have my taste preferences, and that blends with exact same tobacco ingredients can taste different, and whether I eat or drink something prior or during can effect taste, and wet/dry of tobacco can effect taste, and my cadence can effect taste, or that I could not like it initially but later like it more, but now the variable of which pipe I use could be a factor? No wonder this is an adventure. It’s like playing roulette in a tornado. Where will the ball stop? Like it? Or not like it?

I am just going to slowly acquire as many samples as I can and keep them all and retry and retry as time passes.

hey but having a blast!!!

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Wow ! Just had one of those amazing smokes with Quiet Nights in a Savinelli Tundra Brandy. Such an amazing and subtle and balanced blend. Can any other Pease blend be so masterful ?!

Reactions: seanv

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I don't think they are similar to each other at all. I don't particularly care for Chelsea Morning. I tried to like it, but still find it to be on the bland side. I much prefer EMP, Charing Cross, or Skiff. There are many better Pease blends IMHO. Quiet Nights is one of those blends. It's a lot more complex, has more latakia, less Virginia, and a tiny bit more Perique. It also has a better casing on it that adds to the complexity-the tin note is ridiculous. It's also much fuller. It's one of my top favorites.

Last edited:

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
I kinda switch back and forth between CM and EMP for my morning smoke (though I also dig Westminster and C&D Miskatonic Mixture at that time). I just dig the way GLP did ALL the Old London series tobaccos, especially CM, QN, Sixpence, Gaslight, and Meridian. Meridian kind of falls in between CM and QN on the strength scale, so maybe that's a happy medium for you? CM and QN do not taste the same to me, though; the former is most Virginia flavor with a touch of lat, perique, and Oriental to me, while the latter is lat heavy and just reminds me of a good, strong Balkan.

biodarwin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2019
Indy
I don't really smoke many English blends in the morning. I will go with an all-day VA/Per or a VA with some condimental Kentucky. Then, Balkins in the afternoon and finish the day with stronger English blends. I really, really love Quiet Nights, especially with 2 years of age; those reds start to really shine and balance the blend for my palette.

Bright Orange Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2024
Colorado, USA
I really like Quiet Nights quite a bit. I ran through a couple tins in December and need to stock back up.
I smoked a tin of 5 year old Quiet Nights that I found forgotten in my cellar and I can say without question, that I prefer it with a year or less of age.

Reactions: biodarwin