PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's true, travel can refresh our appreciation of home and make it new again. For health and public health reasons, inveterate travelers that we are, we have been at home. The advantage to having traveled a lot (not world travelers by standards of some I know, but well traveled) is that now we have been able to appreciate in more depth the places we have been in a way we can't when we are tumbling along with suitcases, plane tickets, rental cars, and hotel keys. Juggling the details of a trip of any kind is stimulating. As the Dutch say, sometimes a change is as good as a rest.

Reactions: anotherbob

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
for me it's not the exoticism but the practicality that's attractive. When I go to Spain (about once a year: my wife's family is all there), I see: I don't need a car here. I can take the metro, the bus, a taxi, a train--even walk! What a relief it would be not to have to worry about maintaining a car! I see there are markets where I can buy incredible food pretty much unattainable in the U.S. for very reasonable prices. I see there are wonderful little restaurants where I can get home-style cooking for 10 euros or so. That includes wine. And coffee. And while the major cities are fairly expensive (though not be U.S. city standards, which are outrageous), in most of the secondary cities I could live for cheap in a pretty nice flat. And because it's truly a flat--I wouldn't have to worry about mowing a lawn... ON and on the advantages go...I know, believe me I know, there are some disadvantages, but as I grow older I'm beginning to think the quality of life makes it worth it..

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
from the Spring of 2019 until just before I moved in '21, I walked the same 10 mile loop in the Great Smoky Mountains rain, shine, cold, hot every Sunday. This had a profound effect and partly because I had to get up early and drive for an hour. Not that it was that far, but back roads.

What I experienced was the change that took place each week as I walked through the seasons. This allowed me to experience a fallen tree once with a grape vine attached spilling sap one week and frozen sap the next.

I spooked four bear. Had days of depression and exhileration. I began to notice everthing including people dryer sheets as they passed. Meeting people was not something of interest. I wanted to be alone...LOL!!

So, my point is, nothing remains the same if you take the time to pay attention.

"

“Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God,
But only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round and pluck blackberries.”​

Elizabeth Browning

Jun 25, 2021
England
So... like... they won't let you? Have you tried? puffy
Really it's just a case of practicalities.
The cost, the hassle of moving, my age etc.
But I do really love Germany. The language, the scenery, the warmth of the people, and the women. Just crazy about those women.
Apart from the beauty of them, there's something about out the way they can be so serious and then in an instant be all smiles. It charms the heck out of me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a friend who retired from teaching in New Orleans to Stuttgart, Germany, where he was for about ten years. He moved back to NOLA when he decided he didn't want to deal with medical problems in a second language.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
I'm an Anglo-Saxon living in England.
I want to go home - to Germany
Or Denmark?
Some of Angel (origin of 'Anglos', whose new territory/colony was named A(E)ngland), is German, since 1864... The rest is still Danish and the area where I live in Denmark. And I am still happy to be Danish, ha ha. The Danes later 'travelled' to and settled in the Anglo-Saxons' England. And then our francophile Viking family finally arrived.
I also like to travel. For business or privately. Not necessarily far. Out is good. Home is best.

Reactions: Morrison Jeremiah

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I had an epiphany on a rooftop in Hyderabad that went something like this: This is normal for most people. This is the center of civilization. We're the exotic ones in Edmonton, out on the geometric fringes of humanity.