PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
I dunno about y'all but the bite in the air has got me thinking about Latakia...

Time to start smoking the stinky...... thoughts?
Not so much a thought but a question on the subject.
What is it about the seasonal change that causes this change in tobacco tastes I keep hearing about? To a newbie it's a curious concept.
(And sorry not trying to hijack your thread)

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
Not so much a thought but a question on the subject.
What is it about the seasonal change that causes this change in tobacco tastes I keep hearing about? To a newbie it's a curious concept.
(And sorry not trying to hijack your thread)
cant speak for others... but colder air makes things like Virginias or more subtle flavored things taste like hot air to me... so therefore as the weather cools my fancy turns towards smoking burning Christmas trees and road tar..

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I dunno about y'all but the bite in the air has got me thinking about Latakia...

honestly I do smoke more latakia in the winter. That campfire quality is just more cozy and comforting when there is a nip in the air. Though I also smoke plenty of latakia in the summer when it just tastes great. Though I just like pipe smoking more in the winter and fall then in the summer. Spring is also great for pipes. Summer just sucks that is all. Bugs and unmentionable sweats.

Some girls really like pumpkin spices to get them in the spirit of... whatever it is about Halloween that girls like... probably wearing a mask.
Some will drink warmed ciders in the winter.
Some like... I can't think of a Springtime thing.
And, some prefer margaritas in the summertime.

I like my cigars in the sweaty heat of summer, where the spicy mixes with the saltiness and aromas of heat.
And, in the winter, I want the crackling fires of camping or the hearth and the comforts of leather bound books, along with the accompanying latakia.

Sure, I will smoke Virginia and burley blends throughout, but like every season has it's flavors (except maybe Spring) every season can have it's smoke.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Although it's true that colder air dulls more nuanced flavors (just like colder beer masks nuance, whether for better or for worse, depending on the beer) -- that's a good, partial answer -- I think that for many of us, there is also an associational thing going on, which enhances the "mood" or "spirit" of a season, enjoyably. We are seasonal and calendric creatures. We delight in such rhythms.

Associations can be either "conventional" or "natural." I think that both are in play, here, but the natural ones are more interesting to speculate about.

I think that the grass and hay like qualities of some VAs have a natural association with summer.

And I think that the fireplace-like qualities of latakia have a natural association with fall and winter. This time of year -- depending on where you live -- you begin to smell wisps of smoke from neighbors' chimneys, mingled with the musty-sweet, spicy-funk of fallen leaves. If a tobacco is reminiscent of these things, it helps us "get into" the season.

I miss Just For Him's Shortcut to Mushrooms. It tasted like Autumn, to me.

(I have one bowl's worth left, I've saved for years, never to be smoked. Just to know that I could...)

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016

Yeah ... I started with a few bowls since late September, but we have an unusual hot fall ... it must be constantly below 10 C in order to come in, and smoke one in the evenings. More and more I associate lat blends with cold weather since a few years back.