PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A few bits of info from Buzzfile about S.M. Frank & Co., makers of Kaywoodie, Medico, and Yello-Bole. The company was founded in its present configuration in 1991, but the history goes back over a century. It is located in New Windsor, N.Y., about midway between New York City and Poughkeepsie on the Hudson River. Annual revenue is give as $935,663, and the number of employees at the location is 8, in a facility of 15,000 square feet. I can't vouch for the accuracy, but this at least visualizes a little about this major name in U.S. pipe making.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
A few bits of info from Buzzfile about S.M. Frank & Co., makers of Kaywoodie, Medico, and Yello-Bole. The company was founded in its present configuration in 1991, but the history goes back over a century. It is located in New Windsor, N.Y., about midway between New York City and Poughkeepsie on the Hudson River. Annual revenue is give as $935,663, and the number of employees at the location is 8, in a facility of 15,000 square feet. I can't vouch for the accuracy, but this at least visualizes a little about this major name in U.S. pipe making.
Through the years many a person started their pipe journey with one of their pipes. One of their new pipes can be purchased for less than $50.00. Many are available on Ebay. A good, basic pipe.

Reactions: mso489

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't see how they keep up the inventory of even one retailer like West Virginia Smoke Shop with just eight employees, let alone one, or how such a small operation can fill 15,000 sq. ft. Apparently a lot of storage space for materials. I enjoy their products, the several Kaywoodie and my Yello-Bole Checker. I think Dr. Grabow must be the largest briar pipe manufacturer in the U.S., up there in Sparta, N.C., and I don't think they are large, nothing compared to Savinelli or French makers in St. Claude.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know exactly at what point a pipe becomes artisanal, but if there is only one person making them, even though he is using factory machinery, it seems the pipes would be artisanal in some sense. I guess this is a metaphysical question.