PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The shank is likely to change shape if you dry the pipe with the stem removed.
Wood is a highly unpredictable organic material.
That's so rare it's almost a myth. I absolutely let my pipes dry before reassembly and have had only three problems in nearly 50 years and hundreds of pipes. And all 3 were solved by letting the stummel dry longer.
Briar is very stable. If allowed to season before carving briar will return to shape after getting a little wet.

We had a member here, during the pointless row over water cleaning, who submerged one of his pipes in water for several days to see what would happen. After leaving it submerged for several days he fished it out of the water and let it dry for several days before trying to attach the stem back on. The fit was spot on.

Reactions: Dave4211 and Toast
Dust? Considering how much dust I clean out of my tower every year, the likelihood of there being much dust in the airflow seems remote. I wish the fans were good at removing dust.
In days long ago and in a galaxy far away, tobacco shops sold warming dishes where you could place tobacco and/or pipes to dry.
What about a coffee cup warmer? I live in Desert climes so I don't have the issue and haven't tried one but it makes sense....

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
For about 20 years I had one pipe. And often smoked many bowls in a night. Like three or four and not in a day in a night. It's fine the one issue I've seen is the pipe gets nasty and needs a good cleaning sooner, or I've seen some guys that chain smoke their pipe with no cleaning and their pipes seem to eventually crack which might also be because the same guys look like they're trying to imitate a choo choo train with how hard and fast they smoke.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Briar isn't very absorbent at all... moisture penetrates to the depth of a few microns. Any built up cake will hold more moisture, but my pipes are usually dry enough to reload after several minutes.

Unless the air temp coming out of the tower is blast furnace hot I seriously doubt there will be any adverse effect.
All of you please refrain from getting excited by the following views. You've heard them before just as I have heard yours. Both of us have survived unscathed despite the airing of this difference. In all likelihood we will do so again.

In generaI I disagree with any agent save air at room temperature to affect a steady state to which to embark on the next smoke. And as the above points to an incredibly small amount of penetration by moisture, why the concern in the first place? And in general you need not worry about moisture though you smoke the same pipe continuously.

My touchstone in this is that both briar and tobacco are organic substances, and that briar should never be subject to flushing, as in the natural world only the life force protects the tree from degradation by water while the undergrowth of dead wood rots. Similar logic obtains in the case of tobacco subjected to the microwave, which to me is an affront to nature.

However assailed by scathing feedback to this post, I will not respond, because getting excited by words on a forum amounts to drama, which we all can do without. I'm not asking you not to respond but to respond without the drama.

Mar 1, 2014
That's so rare it's almost a myth. I absolutely let my pipes dry before reassembly and have had only three problems in nearly 50 years and hundreds of pipes. And all 3 were solved by letting the stummel dry longer.
Briar is very stable. If allowed to season before carving briar will return to shape after getting a little wet.

We had a member here, during the pointless row over water cleaning, who submerged one of his pipes in water for several days to see what would happen. After leaving it submerged for several days he fished it out of the water and let it dry for several days before trying to attach the stem back on. The fit was spot on.
I suspect the wood will behave differently depending on the environment.
Somewhere with high humidity the wood might not shift very much, but if I were to pull the stem out of a wet pipe and leave it to dry in arctic winter air, that's probably going to cause problems.
I'll have to test my theory next fall.

Reactions: sasquatch

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
"I hold my pipe out the car window while driving."

I have done this after dumping the ash out after a smoke. Then holding the pipe, with out the stem, out the window for about 30 seconds. Afterwards I put the stem back in and fill with fresh tobacco.

Reactions: BROBS