PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I keep seeing posters saying that one should avoid cake in a meer. I just purchased my first meer and I am curious as to how you do it.
Paper towel? Dry or wet? Or something else?

Reactions: Magpiety

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Don't know if my way is best and I'm looking forward to the meer experts to chime in on what they do, but I scrape with the pipe tool blade (dull) after every bowl. I'll ream with a dry paper towel often, usually every 3 or 4 bowls, and finally I get a sharp blade to scrape it every ten bowls or so.

And of course the doubled over pipe cleaner swirly every bowl.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Dry paper towel has always served me. I occasionally do a gentle water clean but not often. The detritus comes off the walls easily, seemingly easier than briar. I can’t account for that, but it has been easy to keep them clean with just dry paper towel.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I use my Savinelli fitsall regularly, carefully, after every third or fourth bowl. I've never let "cake" get a start. I do let the pipe cool after an evening of use so the blend residues can "soak" in before a reaming. Until the sheep rut in a couple of weeks I'm pretty much at home so the meers are being worked hard.

Reactions: workman

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I don't get the dry paper towel thing as if I just dry wipe I still get cake buildup after a while. I fold a pipe cleaner in half and dry wipe, then wet the pipe cleaner a little and rub the inside of the bowl with it, using my finger in the bowl and a fair bit of pressure and rubbing until it comes fully clean and smooth again. This results in a dirty finger but the pipe stays cake free without any additional cleaning.

If things get out of control or I pick up a caked up estate, I might gently use a knife to knock it down and finish with sandpaper. Starting with 150 grit if needed and work my way up to 1500 grit to get it really smooth.

Reactions: workman and Casual

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I would think sanding residue would fill the pores and slow the coloring. I simply do not understand why anyone would allow any cake in a meer they want to color and enjoy the "benefits" of the mineral.

Now used, unkempt pipes? That's an entirely different problem. I think I'd still take a sharp edge and simple pare the cake slowly until I was back to the rough, natural surface of the mineral. Meerschaum isn't smooth to begin with. The outer surface of a pipe has been treated, therefore it is smooth. The inside is rough to the touch. At least all of my meers started that way. I haven't purchased a new meerschaum in many years.

I have a couple darkened enough, full of the residues that the coloring process has slowed to a "snail's pace." But, they have all been smoked well over 400 bowls. So, from my observations, admittedly anecdotal, the coloring hasn't ceased.

The changes are nearly imperceptible.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.