What Do You Smoke When You’re In A Funk?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
@civilwar I used to do the very same! I’ve let the old humidor run dry, but maybe it’s time to get it running again.
Yeah, I'm about 50/50 pipes and cigars. Cigars are much easier to smoke, just cut, light and puff away. You don't have to think about drying time, packing, cadence, over heating etc. All that said, pipes give you flavors you just can't get from cigars. So, I like both. They each have their place.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Sounds like I’m not the only one who has the summertime blues this year. Yeah I can’t smoke indoors, so it’s the porch or nothing for me, and it’s not even covered. Kinda stinks sometimes if the weather is not ideal.
Got that one right. I hate this pissant weather:

Bad_weather--001.jpg

"Comfortable" my arse. Can't wait till there's a minus sign in front of the degrees figure.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Is there a place where you can enjoy a bowl inside an air conditioned room & not feel rushed? Might be a good time revisit a long ignored blend, or different tobacco type.

Reactions: mtwaller

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Is there a place where you can enjoy a bowl inside an air conditioned room & not feel rushed? Might be a good time revisit a long ignored blend, or different tobacco type.
I wish! No pipe shops anywhere remotely close to me, and smoking inside my house is strictly forbidden. Also, I love my wife dearly, but anytime I smoke a pipe for longer than 25-30 min she comes out and asks me if I’m almost finished. She’s very patient with me, so I shouldn’t complain. In short, though: I do not have any good place/time to enjoy my pipes of late. I’ll just keep plugging away on the cellar and wait for things to improve, I suppose.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I wish! No pipe shops anywhere remotely close to me, and smoking inside my house is strictly forbidden. Also, I love my wife dearly, but anytime I smoke a pipe for longer than 25-30 min she comes out and asks me if I’m almost finished. She’s very patient with me, so I shouldn’t complain. In short, though: I do not have any good place/time to enjoy my pipes of late. I’ll just keep plugging away on the cellar and wait for things to improve, I suppose.
I have to smoke outside too. My wife hates my pipe-smoking, and makes a point to tell me how badly I stink after I’ve had a bowl, but it’s become a game for me. I’ll smoke a bowl or five, come back in and hug her and say “eww you stink!” ?

Try getting up early on a non-work day. I mean like before 6:00 AM. Make yourself a pot of coffee or tea or whatever your preferred morning beverage is, sit outside while it’s quiet and still relatively cool, and enjoy the quiet and a bowl of something nice.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I have to smoke outside too. My wife hates my pipe-smoking, and makes a point to tell me how badly I stink after I’ve had a bowl, but it’s become a game for me. I’ll smoke a bowl or five, come back in and hug her and say “eww you stink!” ?

Try getting up early on a non-work day. I mean like before 6:00 AM. Make yourself a pot of coffee or tea or whatever your preferred morning beverage is, sit outside while it’s quiet and still relatively cool, and enjoy the quiet and a bowl of something nice.
I think I’ll do just that tomorrow, my good sir. I have a nice Ashton waiting for its first smoke with me, and a bunch of quality English blends I’ve not yet tried.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I haven’t really enjoyed, or even tried to enjoy a pipe in about a month. I smoked a couple bowls the other day and hated both of them, and dumped them at the halfway point. I’m in one of those low spots where it’s just hot, and humid, and I don’t want to mess with the whole process. Ordinarily I adore the breaking up, drying, packing, tamping, etc. but lately I just can’t seem to bring myself to do it.

If you’ve ever been in such a funk, what do you reach for to awaken your senses and bring you back to the wonderful land of pipedom? I’ve been cellaring like a madman, but I can’t bring myself to enjoy the fruits of my online labors. Help!
I've never experienced such a thing.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I think I’ll do just that tomorrow, my good sir. I have a nice Ashton waiting for its first smoke with me, and a bunch of quality English blends I’ve not yet tried.
I smoke when I’m working on knives in the shop, and it gets pretty hot in an un-air conditioned metal shop, especially when I have the forge going full blast. So my favorite smoke of the day is either really early in the morning or late at night, but at night I sometimes have to contend with the mosquitoes. A little peace and quiet and no blazing sun beating down on you makes all the difference in the world.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I sold my Funk, a blue coupe, years ago but, when I usually smoke cigarettes when driving, Camels they were.

Sorry but, I've fought this off long enough. I was hoping the thread would just disappear before I weakened.

Jan 27, 2020
I stay in a slump during the devil’s months. I hate summer. The days have been so hot and humid here in Tennessee that I’ve not had the desire to do anything outside. Haven’t even got the motorcycle out of the garage...... My smoking moves indoors during the summer, else I wouldn’t smoke.....

I still smoke outside but find it marginally enjoyable. Maybe a hiatus is good, or just a cigar a couple times a week, an old Cuban guy told me recently that cigars actually taste better on humid days...

Reactions: mtwaller
Status
Not open for further replies.