Should I Bid On These And Please I Beg Dont Bid Against If I Should LOL?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
So wth do I know. I need more pipes simply put for rotation. IMHO. I have a high cadence and I really want to build on the 2 that are worth mentioning (yes I have corns and lord knows what else).
So I get posting this puts me in a place where I can end up bidded against but I suspect this batch is overpriced knowing my past and knowledge.

Ebay and any feedback is positively appreciated.
Pipe collection

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So wth do I know. I need more pipes simply put for rotation. IMHO. I have a high cadence and I really want to build on the 2 that are worth mentioning (yes I have corns and lord knows what else).
So I get posting this puts me in a place where I can end up bidded against but I suspect this batch is overpriced knowing my past and knowledge.

Ebay and any feedback is positively appreciated.
Pipe collection
I'd go as high as $150. Nice looking subjects for restoration.

• Love
Reactions: cosgringo

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Some decent workhorses in there that should clean up well. I think Digby was actually a GBD sub-brand but I’m not sure. I agree with embers, hard to go wrong at $15 per pipe.

Reactions: cosgringo

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Thanks all. If I screw up there's tobacconist that does it but I guess that kills the deal as far as price.
I've been looking at this other Savinelli but not touching the bid- people always add on when you up it.
Savinelli- not a honey...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This is in the wrong section, I'm moving it to Pipe Talk.

The #8 Oxford, looks like it has a burnout going on, so that is a wipe. The #5 Hesson, he says used very little by him, looks pretty beat by someone else...

I'd value at around $20/pipe for the rest. Personally, I'd keep looking. Lots aren't always the way to go, that starting bid seems high me for a lot of second line pipes (some are worthless, to me). Could be a lot of unpleasant surprises in that lot, and the seller does not accept returns. My 02 cents.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'd say that's a nice bunch of pipes. However, no matter how bad you beg, people will be bidding against you. Some that may not have known about it untill you brought it up.

I have too many pipes, so it's safe from me. But you put it out there, so someone I'm sure just found the pipes they have been looking for for years thanks to you Lol

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I have gotten a few great deals on ebay buying from unknown sellers, but I've also gotten pipes that did not work out so well and were pretty much a waste of money. Unless you just want to buy a lot to try your hand at restoration, I've found that the best bet is to buy from established sellers, albeit at a higher price. You'll pay more, but you're far more likely to end up with a pipe you like, and at what could still be a really good price. For example, one of my favorite pipes is a Savinelli-made Iwan Ries pipe, and I got it for $45 from rebornpipes.com. I believe one of the restorers from that site posts a lot of restoration pics here. I've also gotten basket pipes from a popular ebay seller for about $10 a piece, and they are great knockaround pipes.

The bottom line is that you really don't need many pipes to start a decent rotation, and in my view it's better to focus on buying from respected quality sellers.

Reactions: Jef and Bowie

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
I see the final bid was at $113. If this was you I hope it works out. I'll basically second what's already been stated above...
I spent the first few months of my pipe career scouring eBay for sub $50 pipes. I ended up with everything from a seemingly unused Savinelli Alligator 904 for <$25, to several similarly priced that I find myself not picking up much. Some of those have issues, and had I been aware of them in advance would not have purchased. The risk/reward potential on eBay is alluring, but for me it ended up making sense to look elsewhere. I've also refined my pipe shopping list since then so eBay doesn't have nearly as much that interests me these days. Good luck building that rotation.

Reactions: Sitka
Status
Not open for further replies.