PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Does the silver hallmark not indicate its either a '49 or '51 based on whether that letter is an 'O' or 'Q'? Others around here certainly know better than I.
I'm actually not familiar with the markings or their meanings, but am aware that they do mean something. I tried to get the clearest images to show the detail of those Hallmarks though.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Good question! I had no idea until @RustiePyles CPG chimed in above. I just assumed all hallmarks on that chart I posted applied to all Peterson pipes.
Peterson had factories in Dublin and London, silver from both factories shows up on pipes from both factories. But, by and large London made pipes usually have London assayed silver and Dublin made pipes have Dublin assayed or not assayed silver (faux hallmarks). London hallmarks will always be a rampant lion, lions head, and a date letter.

Dublin assay office marks are a seated Hibernia, Harp, and date code.

DrBryant

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2024
Houston, TX
Peterson had factories in Dublin and London, silver from both factories shows up on pipes from both factories. But, by and large London made pipes usually have London assayed silver and Dublin made pipes have Dublin assayed or not assayed silver (faux hallmarks). London hallmarks will always be a rampant lion, lions head, and a date letter.

Dublin assay office marks are a seated Hibernia, Harp, and date code.
I had my suspicions of this. I see no reason Peterson wouldn't make a pipe in London and send it back for the metalwork. But none of the stamps looked anything like Hibernia, so I made a guess that I was looking at British hallmarks.

Just acquired this beauty 2 weeks ago as an estate pipe. And while I am still fairly new to pipe smoking, I find this to smoke beautifully. Some limited Research on this has indicated that it could've been made between 1949 (When they added the silver to the mounts) to 1962 (when the English Shop Shut its doors.) If anyone is aware of a way to further narrow down the date, I'd be interested in knowing. In any event, it's a pipe that older than I am and still smokes really good.
It's a beautiful old pipe @WaffleStomper.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Thank you and to sobrbiker as well.View attachment 284827
It’s definitely an O and I see the rampant lion. Not sure what the 3rd character is and what it represents.
Those are 100% London 1949 assay marks.

Peterson made all their silver before the pipes and sent it to the assay office for stamping. It would be returned to the factory to be matched with pipes as needed. Often silver work made in London was sent to the Dublin factory for use there and visa versa. Silver work from both factories shows up on pipes from both factories. @ashdigger has London made pipes with Dublin silver and Dublin made pipes with London silver.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I need some confirmation.
This is a Bog Oak Peterson, correct?
It’s an Irish big oak pipe. It’s not necessarily a Peterson, the bog oak pipes were a cottage industry in Ireland. They were made by folk art carvers out in town, even Peterson farmed them out to local carvers. Unless the pipe is mounted with Peterson silver or stamped Peterson there is no way of knowing if it was made for the factory or not.