Do You Read On A Kindle, Paper Books, Audiobooks?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
36 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
18 Fresh Barling Pipes
New Accessories
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
That is a pretty interesting vocation Fireground!
@fireground_piper

Would you care to elaborate on your job? Sounds very interesting!
I have been very fortunate and lucky. A couple of early career choices, kind favors of old colleagues, some luck and a simple desire to work has afforded me my relatively long, stable career in an otherwise unstable industry (media).

I answered a random gig offer fresh out of college to master some audiobooks for someone which turned into a 4 year gig mastering audiobooks for the NLS Talking Book Program for the blind and disabled.

That opened a door eventually where I was engineering and mastering books for a different company for the same program as well as engineering projects for the commercial market at yet another company. If someone offered work, I’d take it and sometimes that would have me in studio from 9am to midnight at the extremes. I ingested a ton of material over the next few years doing that. I always made sure my work was as perfect as could be even as the 12th hour would roll around and then had the opportunity to transition out of being in the studio directly and into the greater production staff which had been my past 12 years or so.

So I still work with the creatives (authors, talent) daily but I don’t consume the content like I once did. Once in a while I will load up a few audiobooks though (if you have not listened to the re-recordings of the Silmarillion, the hobbit and the LOTR trilogy Andy Serkis did over the past few years, I would recommend! I relistened to the hobbit so far and it’s just fantastic. I plan to fit in the time for the others, his performance is so good).

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I have been very fortunate and lucky. A couple of early career choices, kind favors of old colleagues, some luck and a simple desire to work has afforded me my relatively long, stable career in an otherwise unstable industry (media).

I answered a random gig offer fresh out of college to master some audiobooks for someone which turned into a 4 year gig mastering audiobooks for the NLS Talking Book Program for the blind and disabled.

That opened a door eventually where I was engineering and mastering books for a different company for the same program as well as engineering projects for the commercial market at yet another company. If someone offered work, I’d take it and sometimes that would have me in studio from 9am to midnight at the extremes. I ingested a ton of material over the next few years doing that. I always made sure my work was as perfect as could be even as the 12th hour would roll around and then had the opportunity to transition out of being in the studio directly and into the greater production staff which had been my past 12 years or so.

So I still work with the creatives (authors, talent) daily but I don’t consume the content like I once did. Once in a while I will load up a few audiobooks though (if you have not listened to the re-recordings of the Silmarillion, the hobbit and the LOTR trilogy Andy Serkis did over the past few years, I would recommend! I relistened to the hobbit so far and it’s just fantastic. I plan to fit in the time for the others, his performance is so good).
I really enjoyed Serkis’s new reading of The Hobbit a lot.

Reactions: fireground_piper

So, I guess it will be inevitable, but when will Tom Hanks read his version of The Hobbit? puffy

• Haha

10piper

Lurker
Nov 29, 2010
I’ve been doing audiobooks for about twenty years (with a paper book thrown in now and again when time permits) and have enjoyed them a lot. I don’t plan on giving them up, but they don’t seem to scratch the literary itch like they once did.

I’ve been thinking of an old Victorian author I’ve been wanting to explore more and considered buying his books in nice hardback editions. Then it dawned on me that I have his entire catalog on Kindle (I think I gave $1.99 for all those books a long time ago).

So I dug out my Kindle Paperwhite. It’s been on dead battery mode for about ten years and it’s still working. It’s not the same as reading a paper book but it’s still pretty cool. I didn’t connect well with it years ago but I’m going to give it another try.

Do you all use a Kindle or the like? How do you do your reading?
I dis!ike kindle and it's ilk. For me, nothing will replace the physical book.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Most of you are probably smarter than me, but I personally love that the Kindle has a dictionary feature. I read a lot of old books and use it constantly.
Most of the folks I encounter who say they don't like them have never owned one.... (like me a few years back)
I do constantly look up words, I forgot about that convenience feature.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I used to read a lot, but in later years I find my eyes get tired easier, so not so much anymore. Besides a ton of audio books out there, there are a lot of radio shows, some oldies and some new, that can be listened to or saved, and they're free. Here's a few links to try, and if you like them, you can find many more. puffy

Chet Chetter's Tales from the Morgue - Single Episodes : Old Time Radio Researchers Group : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive - https://archive.org/details/OTRR_Chet_Chetters_Tales_from_the_Morgue_Singles (not what you think!)

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Books and Audiobooks, not opposed to a kindle or any digital reader just haven't got one yet. I've read a book or two on my desktop putting one of my monitors in portrait mode, I guess that sort of counts as a kindle?

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Books and Audiobooks, not opposed to a kindle or any digital reader just haven't got one yet. I've read a book or two on my desktop putting one of my monitors in portrait mode, I guess that sort of counts as a kindle?
Back when I had a desk job, I’d get ebooks and put them in Word and make them look like my work screen. Read a ton of books like that under the boss’s nose. Union life!

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Yeh, low quality, homemade, just doesn't work with the subject matter that I usually select. I don't want some goon living in his mother's basement's opinions on History, Art, or Curation. I tend to follow ones made by the Smithsonian, or one of the college lecture or discussion series. They tend to be better produced with easier to verify information.
Pretentious GIF - Pretentious - Discover & Share GIFs
Any podcasts you can recommend? Informed ones that don't insult the intelligence of the listener and which have stood out to you?

In exchange, I'll disclose that I recently discovered In Our Time by the BBC. It has over 1000 episodes now, all interviews of academics on topics of all kinds. The host, Melvyn Bragg, is a Labour life peer so he is, formally, Lord Bragg. I just listened to episodes on the Ramayana, Tang Dynasty Poetry and most recently, the Barbary Pirates (many of whom were Europeans). Just wonderful.

Last edited:

HeavyLeadBelly

Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Oh I forgot to add to this conversation a few days ago lol. I tried kindle ten years ago and it wasn’t for me. I all about the paper baby. My MLIS is focused on archives and records management so I love the tactile feel and smell of a good book. I love feeling the cover, flipping through the oars, if it’s a piece of scholarship for history I lover perusing the works cited pages to explore other readings.

I also have my library card and use it often. Libraries are more than just repositories of books, they provide many critical services to the public so go out and support them!

Ok I’m off my soapbox lol

*note: this author suffers from sausage fingers and hasty responses and as such should any of his posts look crazy with typos rest assured he isn’t having a stroke :)

Reactions: mingc and autumnfog
Any podcasts you can recommend? Informed ones that don't insult the intelligence of the listener and which have stood out to you?

In exchange, I'll disclose that I recently discovered In Our Time by the BBC. It has over 1000 episodes now, all interviews of academics on topics of all kinds. The host, Melvyn Bragg, is a Labour life peer so he is, formally, Lord Bragg. I just listened to episodes on the Ramayana, Tang Dynasty Poetry and most recently, the Barbary Pirates (many of whom were Europeans). Just wonderful.
It just depends on what you are interested in. I don’t specifically look for where a podcast is coming from. I just do searches for lecture series on Youtube on our Roku for things like printmaking, aesthetics, art history, or contemporary graphic arts.
Printmakers and graphic artists tend to exist in communities that share ideas that feed larger communities like Harvard or the Smithsonian. I’ve been out of the loop for a few decades, so I’ve been trying to catch up. We didn’t have podcasts or video lectures when I was in grad school.

I’m not sure if fine art printmaking or graphic arts would be your gig.