PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Have you tried c&d cube cut burley? It's a blender but I like it by itself occasionally. My favorite burley is old Joe Kranz but that doesn't sound like what your looking for.
I agree with this. C&D cube cut is pretty stout. I actually don’t like blends that have a lot in it because I think it can be harsh (for example, I cut Crooner with a milder burley), but it has great flavor. A little would go a long way

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Might not be as good as before, but it is still functioning
I just prefer to do my own research
After years of wine tasting/drinking I am very wary of trusting the opinions of others,
Unless I have a good idea of what their taste is like.
I have a few friends whose tastes are close to mine. I will take their opinions over most
In all seriousness, I did utilize the search function a lot prior to the change, and ERR always came out on top. You're right about the subjective nature of other people's opinions, though. I try to always keep that in mind when asking a question like this. Thanks for your input!

HU Makhuwa might be worth a look.
Closer to home, Watch City Cigars has several good Burley blends, watch City Slices, Deluxe Crumb Cut being among them, and check out Uhle’s, which has a number of much loved Burley blends that smokers have enjoyed for decades.
I haven't tried HU yet, but need to. I have tried some of Watch City's blends, and enjoyed them. I think I need to revisit them!

Reactions: Steddy and OzPiper

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
C&D's Big 'n' Burley rocks my boat, for some reason. I can't smoke an entire bowl without reeling into a supine position. Five Brothers straight? No problem. Uhle's 00 is pretty good.
I haven't had BnB in a long time... definitely need to try it again! I'm getting some Five Brothers in my next order, too. I actually used to live in Milwaukee and love Uhle's! I have some 00 around here somewhere....

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Like @username I was tempted to suggest OJK. But if you didn't enjoy Haunted Bookshop or Pegasus, it doesn't seem likely that OJK will scratch your itch.

So, here are my two ideas.

Erik Stokkebye 4th Gen 1931 Flake. I would put this in the same category as Solani ABF or MB HH Burley Flake in that it strikes me as a "gourmet" Burley. It should be noted that 1931 is not exclusively Burley. It does have condimental portions of Cavendish and Virginia, as well as a well-measured (never cloying) honey note. But Burley is in the lead, and it's one of the tinned Burleys I keep buying.

Vincent Manil Tabac de la Semois. This is a very unique Burley, uncased and quite distinct. I consider this a "must try at least once" blend for any Burley lover. I personally find it unlike the more traditional Burleys you mentioned. It almost warrants a category of its own. But I'm confident that it has the strength you seek.
Thanks for these! For the record, I do enjoy HB and Pegasus, but they're more occasional blends for me. I tried 1931 once and I remember I liked it, I'll grab some more. And I just ordered some Semois in my last order but haven't tried it yet... that's next!

Reactions: yanoJL

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I love B'n'B too (it's like a desert island blend for me) but it has Latakia in it so—even though it's just a wisp—it seems like it's not what the OP is looking for. Five Brothers on the other hand can—and should—be added to any and all blends requiring a kick in the pants.

@sittingbear , you couuuuld try some Old Joe Krantz Blue, if you haven't already. It's a little different from Pegasus. No Cavendish. Just Virginia and Burley. I find it's got a bit more vitamin N than Pegasus, but it doesn't have the Perique of OJK original so it's more straight ahead. You can always get a 1oz sample. I smoke a lot of Pegasus for the record and I always find bulk C&D blends benefit from 6 months or more in a jar. I like straight burleys, like Semois, Five Brothers, C&D Dark Burley, Kendal Kentucky, etc. Anyway, good luck! It's hard to find a perfect burley blend for sure.
I actually haven't tried any of these yet.... my list is growing!

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I'd order a bunch of bulk samples and see if anything clicks. Topped, mixed with VA, straight, etc.
Pegasus is what started my Burley journey. After that, I started liking other Burley blends I didn't care for early on. I still love Pegasus. Also HH Burley Flake, Cobblestone Hiking, Solani Aged Burley, and many more. Best of luck.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Ryan

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I’m not sure it has more oomph, but you might try Cobblestone Hiking. It hasn’t been available anywhere for a little bit, but hopefully will be again before long.

It is definitely in the same ballpark as Sutliff Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match.

Reactions: JOHN72

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Have you tried Five Brothers? Another one, one that I never see mentioned, is Old School by JM Boswell. Old School is a straight up Burley with a little Virginia added. I can't speak to the strength of blends because nicotine doesn't really affect me.
Was gonna say pick your favorite ready-rubbed clone and add some 5 Brothers, speaking of Bulk Burley and Burley Lovers in General maybe ask the Dread Tyger over at the Gatlinburlier He's got plenty of Burley house blends might have a good clone and will add something a bit meatier.

Reactions: Winnipeger