PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Can you tell me what the little nub at the bottom of cuttys are for? I’ve always wondered about it.
Absolutely! If you squeeze it gently the pipe gets sexually excited. rotf On a serious note there are several theories about the foot on the 'cutty' pipe. The one that makes the most sense is it is copying the foot that appeared on clay pipes which was designed so that the pipe could be held without burning your fingers since clays can get really hot. I have also been told that the foot on the older meerschaums was a type of primitive radiator to somehow cool the pipe down or in the alternate a way of holding the pipe without getting finger prints on the bowl. Take your pick of the explanations as any of them seem quite reasonable.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
New month, new pipe. Tracked down a new Bing’s favorite with the limited edition Miele stem. Breaking it in with a sample of Savannah, the house aromatic that the shop included with the purchase.

View attachment 243886

That church in the background has an interesting history with the High Line seen behind it. An earlier iteration of the church had to be demolished because of the construction of the High Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.