PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
@smudgersmissingleg yep, the original
@JOHN72 we also call it “Dance of the Vampires” in Greece (and in German-speaking languages). I like Polanski, Dance is so spoofy, I didn’t get the joke until after seeing Hammer Horror films. The Tenant and Rosemary’s Baby are great too. Hate Polanski the guy though.
The dubbing we have here in Spain is very good. Especially in my childhood and adolescence, in the late 70s and early 80s. In relation to the films produced from the 1950s to the 1990s.

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I’ve seen Singing in the Rain many times. I’ve seen some Woody Allen movies many times and some Hitchcock. I’ve seen Some Marx Brothers many times. I’ve seen My Dinner With Andre every decade with a good meal. I’ve seen Tootsie several times. I’ve seen some Billy Wilder films several times.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Shit, I’ve watched this so many times I’ve forgotten to list it …. Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House
Oof, I've got a major thing for Myrna Loy too. Even later in a film like The Best Years of Our Lives - Yowza.
How a pair of eyes can be so demure yet so sexy is beyond me.

Edit: wow I didn't realize TBYOOL actually came out before Mr Blandings. Sheesh.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
As with everything, over familiarity breeds contempt. So no one picture is going to be my one and only.
That said, there are a number of films I enjoy revisiting. Here are a few of them.
The General, City Lights, Modern Times, A Night At The Opera, Casablanca, King Of Hearts, Best Years Of Our Lives, Seven Samurai, Ikiru, La Belle et Bete, The Grand Illusion, Sunrise, The Wizard Of Oz, My Man Godfrey, Bringing Up Baby, Strangers On A Train, Nothing Sacred, Battle Ship Potemkin, King Kong, Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Seven, Pale Rider, Tokyo Godfathers, Steamboat Bill Junior, Nosferatu, M, Metropolis, Judgement At Nuremberg, Pat And Mike, Bad Day At Blackrock, It’s A Wonderful Life, Alls Quiet On The Western Front, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Shop Around The Corner, Cheyenne Autumn, Animal Crackers, Rashomon, Floating Weeds, etc, etc.
Nice to see Ozu on there! He’s another one. One can return to his films. I love films like those because they make me think that audiences, even in a country like Japan, have totally changed. There’s just no way a film like that would be anything but a minor art film today. Hard Setsuko, miraculously, only died a few years ago. After her film career, she lived on quietly, without any media attention, for many many decades. I also love Animal Crackers. I love the openings of those Marx Brothers films, when Groucho sings.

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
My play list, movies that play over and over.
A colt is my passport
Branded to kill
Tokyo drifter
Killers on parade
Golden eyes
Iron finger
Youth of the beast
Stray dog
Take aim at the police van.

Reactions: JOHN72

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
3 movies on VHS I grew up with that I would never turn off or change the channel on - Big Trouble in Little China, Commando, Enter The Dragon.
Fargo
Midnight Run
Separate Tables
A Face in the Crowd
The Apartment
Von Ryan's Express
Marty
The African Queen

(not necessarily in that order)
The Outlaw Josey Wales and Master and Commander
The point is to pick one. Yes I know it's tough but as said there can only be one.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Oof, I've got a major thing for Myrna Loy too. Even later in a film like The Best Years of Our Lives - Yowza.
How a pair of eyes can be so demure yet so sexy is beyond me.

Edit: wow I didn't realize TBYOOL actually came out before Mr Blandings. Sheesh.
Ugh, another movie I watch over and over is TBYOOL.

My favorite character arc is Fred Derry’s

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
As anyone can plainly see I’m an idiot that can’t follow rules.

I have more than one favorite.
I wanted to make it a little more challenging, everyone can come up with a list of 5 or more movies they can watch over and over, just makes it tougher to pick one. There are many here i could add to my list, movies i've seen 10 or 15 or 20 times and still will watch if I happen across them, that being said El Dorado is the one i will seek out.