SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
I don't want to speak for the rule-makers (and will happily accept correction), but when I did box passes in the past, the general idea was that you would try a bit of whatever you wanted, but not take the remainder of anything unless it was almost gone, or if you could replace it with something equally cool.
Yes, the two box passes I participated in many years ago, you were expected just to smoke a few bowls of each, and not just take a whole of anything. This is usually done for folks to "try" things, not stock up.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am a little confused about the using the trackers. If this is made public, then participants should know this before the begin. You're exact location will be wide open on the WWW. Unless we are only going to dox them if they keep the package too long, which we aren't sure how long is too long yet. But, if the participant doesn't mail the package, unless someone is willing to drive over and beat them senseless, what good is knowing the location? I mean, has anyone sent a fake tracking number after "they say" that the package was mailed... only to be lying? I'm confused as to how that works.
If we send it to someone who drops off the forums, we know their address and name and can dox them anyways.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
There are few pipe related items I would like to aquire... mainly some vintage Castellos. Since I can't imagine anyone putting one in the box, I think I'll pass. However, the idea is interesting and might be fun especially for the newbies. Please keep us up to date on how it's going using this thread. And, after you have sent the box to the next person it would be fun if you posted here what you got "from" the box (unless there's some rule against that). But, don't say what you put "in" the box. Let that be a surprise. puffy

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Box Pass 2023 Rules
You may do well to read the thread from the Box Pass thread from 2011.
This box pass will run in to all the same problems, many of which are avoidable, and were addressed as the rules evolved.

The Canadian Box Pass fell flat at one point because it was sent on to the next participant without confirming that the person was still alive and living at the same address. I added a "call and response" rule to our Box Pass that had the current box holder post to the thread that he was ready to send the box on to the next guy. If the next guy didn't respond to the thread that he was alive and ready to receive the box, we skipped him and moved on to the next-next-guy. This saved our bacon a couple of times.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
One of the really wonderful, but at the same time problematic aspects of the Box Pass was just what SBC is saying: People added more than they took! We always kept the box at a Medium USPS Priority Flat Rate size. So, on occassion, the box would get so big that it couldn't be closed. I would have to call the box home for maintenance: take some stuff out, replace bags that were damaged, put labels on bags that could be read, and pack it all into a new box.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
One of the really wonderful, but at the same time problematic aspects of the Box Pass was just what SBC is saying: People added more than they took! We always kept the box at a Medium USPS Priority Flat Rate size. So, on occassion, the box would get so big that it couldn't be closed. I would have to call the box home for maintenance: take some stuff out, replace bags that were damaged, put labels on bags that could be read, and pack it all into a new box.
Good point.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
You may do well to read the thread from the Box Pass thread from 2011.
This box pass will run in to all the same problems, many of which are avoidable, and were addressed as the rules evolved.

The Canadian Box Pass fell flat at one point because it was sent on to the next participant without confirming that the person was still alive and living at the same address. I added a "call and response" rule to our Box Pass that had the current box holder post to the thread that he was ready to send the box on to the next guy. If the next guy didn't respond to the thread that he was alive and ready to receive the box, we skipped him and moved on to the next-next-guy. This saved our bacon a couple of times.

Make sure to @ that rascal, too, so he gets a notification.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I’d suggest if a person can’t smoke enough to free up space to contribute, or swap in something cooler than what was in the box as it came to them, they could just be thankful for the generosity of the group and find another way to pay it forward. Maybe mail something nice to the organizer! 😉

Aug 1, 2012
I'm in if you'll have me (after you've read my post in the other thread that is).

EDIT: I guess I'm not allowed as no P.O. boxes are accepted and we've got a bad case of porch pirates in my area. I'd give my home address too as insurance but I'd rather not be the one who lost it because of assholes out of my control.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I'm in if you'll have me (after you've read my post in the other thread that is).

EDIT: I guess I'm not allowed as no P.O. boxes are accepted and we've got a bad case of porch pirates in my area. I'd give my home address too as insurance but I'd rather not be the one who lost it because of assholes out of my control.
I as well prefer my P.O. for stuff like this but by golly why not. I guess I'll give my home address which isn't easy to find even on GPS lol.

Aug 1, 2012
S
I as well prefer my P.O. for stuff like this but by golly why not. I guess I'll give my home address which isn't easy to find even on GPS lol.
Sadly for me, I've had 4 out of my last 5 packages either stolen or ripped open and strewn across my apartment building's lawn. I will be a responsible person and not let this one be the 5th. I just wish we could have a verification process so I could participate.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I’ll know who you are, I’ll know what you want. If you are looking to keep the Box, that’s a mistake. I have a very specific set of skills, and those skills have been honed over a long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you send the Box forward, that’ll be the end of it. I will not look for you. I will not persue you. But if you don’t, I will show up unannounced and expose you to Yoko.
Don't threaten me with a good time.

I'm into that kind of stuff.