PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I just don't understand the ultra-hype.

My wife was insistent that we watch it this weekend, and we found it on Prime. The general idea of multiverses is interesting for a sci-fi fan like myself, but everything comes at you so fast, and with nothing linking it together that it becomes a chore to watch.

I stopped it at this exact scene:

p0f70r47.jpg

turned to my wife and said, that's enough of this for tonight.

For a film so lauded by critics and the general public, I've never felt so much like an old codger.

Has anyone else seen this and 'gotten' it? Am i missing something here?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Nope. Prime and Netflix both have ton of fillers. After awhile, I just felt like it's too much commitment to watch 90 min movies, much less 16 episodes drama. My wife loves those Asian movies and dramas. But knows me better than to ask me to watch them.

Reactions: mingc

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
Personally, I love DANIELS films, and yes, they are bizarre and what some would even call stupid at times, but to me, even through the absolute zaniness that they bring, they still manage to tell very lovely stories. The films can be nuts, but at heart they have such an in-touch, unabashed focus on the human condition and society and real emotion. It’s refreshing. Shock and awe, but somehow so emotionally genuine that it makes you wonder how they managed to have it turn out such feeling against everything. They are to me, even though they are wacky, very human films.
As far as “getting it” with any movie though, I’d probably say you’d have to finish it first to see if you do. I can tell you that the “overload” is intentional, the style is aiming to be everything, everywhere, all at once. If it keeps rubbing you the wrong way, it’s alright, everybody has movies they don’t like that the rest of the world is crazy for. But I think that the only thing you are missing so far is the rest of the movie. I’d recommend sticking with it, as either way it’s one hell of an experience, but if the style is really turning you off, maybe not.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I haven't watched it. I'm a huge Sci-Fi fan, but the film trailer didn't appeal to me. There's no star power to grab my attention. The story seems predictable.

I'm looking forward to watching Nope on Amazon Prime this evening. That looks far better to me.

Reactions: fightnhampster

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Personally, I love DANIELS films, and yes, they are bizarre and what some would even call stupid at times, but to me, even through the absolute zaniness that they bring, they still manage to tell very lovely stories. The films can be nuts, but at heart they have such an in-touch, unabashed focus on the human condition and society and real emotion. It’s refreshing. Shock and awe, but somehow so emotionally genuine that it makes you wonder how they managed to have it turn out such feeling against everything. They are to me, even though they are wacky, very human films.
As far as “getting it” with any movie though, I’d probably say you’d have to finish it first to see if you do. I can tell you that the “overload” is intentional, the style is aiming to be everything, everywhere, all at once. If it keeps rubbing you the wrong way, it’s alright, everybody has movies they don’t like that the rest of the world is crazy for. But I think that the only thing you are missing so far is the rest of the movie. I’d recommend sticking with it, as either way it’s one hell of an experience, but if the style is really turning you off, maybe not.
+1

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I haven't watched it. I'm a huge Sci-Fi fan, but the film trailer didn't appeal to me. There's no star power to grab my attention. The story seems predictable.

I'm looking forward to watching Nope on Amazon Prime this evening. That looks far better to me.
I have no idea what this thread is about.

However I did see NOPE, and it was a really great idea. However I waited and waited for the part where I would understand it(?) And it never came. Then there was the ending. Left us kind of scratching our heads. Not terrible, but...just wierd.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
+2

I watched it based on my older brother’s (and his son’s) recommendation last year—I enjoyed its wackiness and touching ending. I even ended up buying it on Blu-ray when it was first released; it doesn’t hurt that I’ve been a big fan of Michelle Yeoh for years and was happy for her winning the Oscar (it still tickles me that she did a drawing of me years ago).

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
EEAAO is a rare piece of absurdism that you never see from Hollywood. It's also very zippy. Both make it different and challenging to watch. I found its typical Hollywood fantasy ending very annoying.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunnyboy
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Wait, what? Do tell!

Years ago, there was a Michelle Yeoh film festival held in New York. A very good friend of mine used to hang out with Michelle in Hong Kong and his girlfriend at the time used to shop with her all the time. I was planning on attending the festival anyway, but when my friend learned Michelle was going to be in town for it, he contacted her and we hung out at her hotel room in Manhattan. I did a caricature drawing of her as a gift in the room. We all got together with a bunch of people at a very nice restaurant later and had a grand time with much drinking. When I attended the film festival (maybe later that week?), Michelle did a meet and greet in the theatre after the screening. She signed some laserdiscs for me and did a wonderful little drawing of me on my festival program. I'll try to see if I can find my laserdiscs in a box downstairs and take a pic of the drawing she did and share it here.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Years ago, there was a Michelle Yeoh film festival held in New York. A very good friend of mine used to hang out with Michelle in Hong Kong and his girlfriend at the time used to shop with her all the time. I was planning on attending the festival anyway, but when my friend learned Michelle was going to be in town for it, he contacted her and we hung out at her hotel room in Manhattan. I did a caricature drawing of her as a gift in the room. We all got together with a bunch of people at a very nice restaurant later and had a grand time with much drinking. When I attended the film festival (maybe later that week?), Michelle did a meet and greet in the theatre after the screening. She signed some laserdiscs for me and did a wonderful little drawing of me on my festival program. I'll try to see if I can find my laserdiscs in a box downstairs and take a pic of the drawing she did and share it here.
That drawing's going to be worth something!

Coming from Malaysia, I've known of Michelle Yeoh for a long time. We're about the same age. She's from a very rich family. Me, not so much. I'd like to think that there's a great deal of class enmity between us. I think I'd like her a lot more if she had been in any Wong Kar Wai movie!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
That drawing's going to be worth something!

Coming from Malaysia, I've known of Michelle Yeoh for a long time. She came from a very rich family. Me, not so much. I'd like to think that there's a great deal of class enmity between us. I think I'd like her a lot more if she had been in any Wong Kar Wai movie!

To me, it's already priceless. I found some pics on my tower computer upstairs: a laserdisc of The Heroic Trio she inscribed to me, and the program with the aforementioned drawing:

IMG_7726_DxO_resize.jpg

IMG_7727_DxO_resize.jpg

I've been very lucky in New York over the years when it comes to meeting Asian action stars and directors because of film festivals held there. I've gotten laserdiscs and DVDs signed by Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Jet Li, Donnie Yen, Chow Yun-fat, Tsui Hark, and of course Michelle Yeoh. Among my prized possessions are a good number of original Japanese movie posters that the legendary Tatsuya Nakadai was generous enough to sign for me.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
My wife and I started Everything, Everywhere, All at Once three times and gave up each time. When I watch a movie, I try to keep an open mind and engage it on its own terms, without any preconceptions. I know how hard it is, and how much talent is required, to produce even a mediocre movie, let alone one that is so highly regarded. It didn't bother me that the movie was absurdist or fractured; I often like movies like that. I also liked the cast and it looked as if they and the movie-makers were having fun, which can be infectious but was't in this case. What bored me pretty quickly was how silly it was—and, at least to me, not funny silly, just silly silly. Some challenging movies (and music and books, etc.) are worth persevering for because they reveal some truth about human nature or the world in an affecting or fresh way. If the movie is just intended to be entertaining, then no big deal if it has nothing to say. But it has to be entertaining. Obviously, many thoughtful people found Everything, Everywhere, All at Once both interesting and entertaining. Based on the first half or so, I found it to be neither.

Now if I had a drawing by Michelle Yeoh ...