18 Fresh Tsuge Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
So, in an effort to expand my palate, I have been looking in the tobacco for sale threads and considering buying some tobacco that has been cellared / aged by some of you fine gentlemen.

I am too impatient to wait 10 years to experience that joy!

What should I look for when trying to decide which aged tobacco I should look for?

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
2 things come to mind....

First, perhaps start with a blend that is straight Virginia, mostly Virginia, or Virginia-forward, as there seems to be a unique effect age has on leaf with higher concentrations of natural sugars (i.e. Virginias)

Second, I would recommend a product or brand that is still being produced and currently available fresh. Although you might find some truly sublime, aged McClelland blends (as an example), these are no longer being produced. If however, you purchase and enjoy an aged blend in current production, you have the option to buy some tins to cellar/age on your own.

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
2 things come to mind....

First, perhaps start with a blend that is straight Virginia, mostly Virginia, or Virginia-forward, as there seems to be a unique effect age has on leaf with higher concentrations of natural sugars (i.e. Virginias)

Second, I would recommend a product or brand that is still being produced and currently available fresh. Although you might find some truly sublime, aged McClelland blends (as an example), these are no longer being produced. If however, you purchase and enjoy an aged blend in current production, you have the option to buy some tins to cellar/age on your own.
Great advice! I don't want to spend $100 on a 4 oz tin and then find I don't care for it.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I’d agree with what yanoJL said.

I’ve bought most genres in by small 2-4oz bags from e-tailers to see what I generally like. VaPers are usually ok new, but I’m now trying straighter Virginia varieties so I’ve started looking for smaller aged lots members post. Now I’m finding what Virginia blends I’d like to buy to put some age on myself, but am definitely still open to trying affordable samples as I find them here.

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
I’d agree with what yanoJL said.

I’ve bought most genres in by small 2-4oz bags from e-tailers to see what I generally like. VaPers are usually ok new, but I’m now trying straighter Virginia varieties so I’ve started looking for smaller aged lots members post. Now I’m finding what Virginia blends I’d like to buy to put some age on myself, but am definitely still open to trying affordable samples as I find them here.
I think this is the approach I want to take, the sample route. I just don't know what to ask...

Reactions: fMf Piper

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
So, in an effort to expand my palate, I have been looking in the tobacco for sale threads and considering buying some tobacco that has been cellared / aged by some of you fine gentlemen.

I am too impatient to wait 10 years to experience that joy!

What should I look for when trying to decide which aged tobacco I should look for?
Hmm… How will you know it’s “joy” if you have nothing to compare it with? To that end, I’d suggest buying an aged tin of a blend you already know fresh or can also purchase fresh, so you can be better equipped to try to figure out what age has contributed to—or attenuated in—the blend.

In general, though, I’d recommend a non-aromatic of any variety. Look for a minimum of three years of age. You can go as old as you want, though if you’re looking at blends with significant age—say, 25+ years—you may not have the experience or palate to appreciate them relative to what they’ll cost you. Tins should be sealed and rust-free. I wouldn’t recommend buying any aged blends from open tins (i.e., jarred). (So, no, I don’t personally recommend buying “sample” quantities of an aged blend. That’s just my personal stance. To me, a jarred blend is for personal consumption only; it has zero resale value.)

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’d just start aging, I started in 2009 and now I’m worried about all my blends getting too much age on them, time flies and you’ll have aged blends before ya know it. I think it’s more rewarding when you open a blend that you bought and aged yourself. Plus you know it’s been stored properly and all that good stuff. But the decision is yours, if you feel it’s worth it than by all means go buy some aged stuff. From time to time you may find a winner but the majority of times I think you will just end up sorely disappointed.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Great advice! I don't want to spend $100 on a 4 oz tin and then find I don't care for it.

Of course.

Not to beat the same drum over-and-over, but by starting with tobaccos known to age well (again Virginias) you can mitigate that risk somewhat. Naturally, this assumes you enjoy (and do not have adverse reactions to) Virginia tobacco.

What's more, you need not jump into 4oz purchases right away. You should be able to find 50g (1.75oz) - 2oz tins available.

And even if you do not enjoy your purchase, you should have no trouble trading an aged tin away to another forum member for something else you might prefer.

Reactions: fMf Piper

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Buy the blends you know you love. Buy a lot of it. Then after smoking a few tins or oz of the fresh stuff, you automatically have aged tobacco. Then you go back and buy more of that tobacco new, and smoke more of that. Then the aged tobacco is even older. Then ever so casually, you have new tobacco, 6 months, 1 year, 5 year, etc. That's my method.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Here's my simple answer: No.

Why - I think you've read some sound advice above. Second, tobacco IS NOT wine. It is not meant to be aged. Yes, it does age, and sometimes the aging mellows the FLAVORS to make them more even and less harsh. But in the case of tobacco, that doesn't mean better. Many blends are are already aged by the time they are packaged. Second, I have found that 12 months is usually enough time to tell you where the tobacco is headed.

No one - for the most part - is aging our tobacco as a primary function of why we bought it. It is being cellared ONLY for the time when obtaining it would be near impossible. It ages because we can't smoke all of it NOW.

I do let a year pass on some heavy and oily blends such as G&H plugs and ropes because I prefer them to be settled and less likely to cause me to get sick. After a year of being jarred where some air has had an opportunity to tame them, I find them good and ready to go.
Be careful you you aren't getting sucked in to some unintentional seller hype. While it is true that some older blends have certain tastes that are no longer available, that is only because the tobacco is no longer available that gave them those unique tastes. But even then, because they aged, they are no longer the tobaccos they were when new and no longer the tobaccos that people raves about when they were new.

I doubt anything written here will change your mind. Hype is hype. You've been given some great advice by other posters.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
No one - for the most part - is aging our tobacco as a primary function of why we bought it. It is being cellared ONLY for the time when obtaining it would be near impossible. It ages because we can't smoke all of it NOW.
I agree with almost everything you said. I have to add, though, that while I do sometimes smoke fresh tins, I am cellaring to age. My purchases are not driven by “prepper panic.”

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Here's my simple answer: No.

Why - I think you've read some sound advice above. Second, tobacco IS NOT wine. It is not meant to be aged. Yes, it does age, and sometimes the aging mellows the FLAVORS to make them more even and less harsh. But in the case of tobacco, that doesn't mean better. Many blends are are already aged by the time they are packaged. Second, I have found that 12 months is usually enough time to tell you where the tobacco is headed.

I do let a year pass on some heavy and oily blends such as G&H plugs and ropes because I prefer them to be settled and less likely to cause me to get sick. After a year of being jarred where some air has had an opportunity to tame them, I find them good and ready to go.
Be careful you you aren't getting sucked in to some unintentional seller hype. While it is true that some older blends have certain tastes that are no longer available, that is only because the tobacco is no longer available that gave them those unique tastes. But even then, because they aged, they are no longer the tobaccos they were when new and no longer the tobaccos that people raves about when they were new.

I doubt anything written here will change your mind. Hype is hype. You've been given some great advice by other posters.
Yep, even a couple of manufacturers have expressed amusement at the idea of cellaring when their products are made for immediate use.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A lot of good observations here. Definitely stick with aged versions of tobaccos that are in production and available. Most blenders turn out tobaccos that have been aged are are ready to go, but not all blenders do that. I've found Peter Stokkebye blends to need aging before smoking as they are released a bit "young" for my liking, and the same goes with C&D, which is partly why I cellar very little of these blenders. PS-LBF is cardboard when released, but given a minimum of 4 years turns into something amazing.

Aging doesn't necessarily improve blends, it just changes them, and whether the change is an improvement is up to the individual smoker to decide.

Tins with a few years on them, maybe up to a decade are good options. Ancient tins are always a crap shoot and generally an expensive one. If or when you are sufficiently advanced to swim in those waters, go for it.

Buying what's available and putting back enough to have some stock for the future is the best way to eventually enjoy (hopefully) aged tobacco.

The other fly in the ointment is that we're also going through a period of substitution and changes in named blends, such that the tin of aged "whatsis" was significantly different when new, then what's in the tin today.

If I am going to try an aged blend, I will only buy sealed tins. Jars of bulk have too many variables that could go wrong, plus… a lot of people will removed the tobacco from the jar and put it into baggies to mail it. Plus… how vigilant was the owner to keeping the jar sealed throughout the cellaring process?

If I’m going to spend money on aged, I want to be the one who unseals it for the first time.