PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I know about Balsa filters, and decided to just break a kabob stick and throw it in my pipe. Anyone ever tried it? I hate charcoal filters and was looking for something to grab a little heat and moisture that doesn't effect the draw. After a half bowl not sure how much it's doing, but my draws great.

If you've tried it or have a different idea let me know.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I know about Balsa filters, and decided to just break a kabob stick and throw it in my pipe. Anyone ever tried it? I hate charcoal filters and was looking for something to grab a little heat and moisture that doesn't effect the draw. After a half bowl not sure how much it's doing, but my draws great.

If you've tried it or have a different idea let me know.
cray
How is that going to work ?

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Not really. The tip and exposed area char. But area covered with food doesn't char, even if you soak them in water.
Yeah but thats on a grill with way higher heat than a pipe inside the stem. But thats kinda why I tried it cause I wasn't sure. I'm gonna use the same one for 3 smokes and then break it in half and see if its wet inside. Thats how long a Balsa is supposed to last. If its doing anything I'd think it would be wet inside. I don't have a Balsa to compare it to though.

Reactions: bullet08

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Any kabob stick I have used is bamboo. A very dense wood not close to to the porous nature of balsa. I'm sure anything could be used to restrict the draw to Simulate a filter but I don't believe it would do much for moisture control.
I dont know. I have a lot of Cedar I'm going to test out next. That might work better. Spanish Cedar humidors absorb great. I thought of Kabob first unfortunately, so I'm gonna let it play out and break it in half after 3 smokes see if its wet inside. Then try Cedar.

B.Fee

Lifer
Nov 28, 2019
Honolulu / Colorado
I dont know. I have a lot of Cedar I'm going to test out next. That might work better. Spanish Cedar humidors absorb great. I thought of Kabob first unfortunately, so I'm gonna let it play out and break it in half after 3 smokes see if its wet inside. Then try Cedar.
Cedar is used for humidors because bugs don't like them thus keeping your stogie's safe. They have to Absorb moisture to get to their desired humidity then stay at that optimum level to keep the tobacco primo. There is a reason balsa is used for filters, they work. But if you do find something that works for you.🤙

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Cedar is used for humidors because bugs don't like them thus keeping your stogie's safe. They have to Absorb moisture to get to their desired humidity then stay at that optimum level to keep the tobacco primo. There is a reason balsa is used for filters, they work. But if you do find something that works for you.🤙
I've smoked cigars for 20 years. I have higher hopes for cedar than the bamboo but we'll see. If its a fail I'll shove something else in there. Im bored and wanna experiment lol.

• Love
Reactions: B.Fee

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
lol Well its wood so I gotta believe it isn't doing any more or less than a Balsa.
I'm not sure bamboo kabob stick will absorb the moisture fast enough to make difference. Of course, you might be using different type.
Balsa is a lot more absorbant than bamboo
Kabobs absorb so they don't burn when cooking. Thats why I thought of it.
You're supposed to soak the bamboo kabob sticks in water for several hours prior to using or they WILL burn

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Balsa is a lot more absorbant than bamboo

You're supposed to soak the bamboo kabob sticks in water for several hours prior to using or they WILL burn
I'm just experimenting for fun. I doubt it will work, but they do absorb enough in an oven hotter than a pipe stem. Even when not soaked. Except the tips, but again way hotter inside the oven. So I thought well maybe worth a try. Im 1 whole bowl in at the moment, I don't think it's going to work. Im going to try Cedar wood next I have a lot of it.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Brigham makes a filter out of rock maple
But that is a 3inch hollow tube
Not sure if just a sliver of any wood is going to perform the same function other than promoting condensation

Happy to read your results

Reactions: Coreios

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
In case you missed it this is from a previous post.

I have several Savinelli filter pipes I use to smoke an occasional aromatic. Here's how to save money on the filters. Instead of buying the actual filters. I go on ebay and buy a pack of balsa wood rods in the right size (3/16x1/8") andcut them to length and that's it. Cost is about 10% the cost of filters and they work just as well. A tip: if you cut the ends on a slight angle the pipe draws better. puffy

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
In case you missed it this is from a previous post.

I have several Savinelli filter pipes I use to smoke an occasional aromatic. Here's how to save money on the filters. Instead of buying the actual filters. I go on ebay and buy a pack of balsa wood rods in the right size (3/16x1/8") andcut them to length and that's it. Cost is about 10% the cost of filters and they work just as well. A tip: if you cut the ends on a slight angle the pipe draws better. puffy
Thats smart!