PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've got brisket and pork belly, neither of which I've done well with so far, on deck.

Hopefully refining my techniques makes a difference.

First change is cutting to more manageable size for both my smoker's ability and the number of people planned. There's no sense in cooking 30 Lbs of meat for 6 people.

Second change is pre-salting (8 hours before smoking) to give the salt time to work its magic.

I'll post updates when I can.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
3 Lbs black pepper bacon
3.5 Lbs pork belly
4 Lbs brisket

This should work great for 6 people over 5-ish hours. I try to serve the food early and then everyone can free range graze at their leisure the rest of the night.

I didn't separate the brisket flat from the point right but at least I got it pretty uniformly thick which should help.

I cubed the pork belly and I'm loosely following Malcolm Reed's instructions for pork belly burnt ends.

And so the journey begins:

20221230_125203.jpg

20221230_130356.jpg

Screenshot_20221230-130445_Masterbuilt Classic.jpg

I'm using Bad Byron's Butt Rub on both the brisket and pork belly.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Good luck to you sir! That's quite the challenge to smoke a brisket in 5hrs. The fastest I've ever smoked a brisket was about 9 hrs at 220F. Your pork belly shouldn't be a problem in that time frame.
I'm sure this is all over by now. How did it turn out?
Yep, was going to say the same. What smoker is this? Looks more like a cold smoker to me.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Everything turned out great but the brisket could've been a little more tender. Definitely need to keep tweaking my methods but it was a noticeable improvement over previous attempts.

The pork belly was phenomenal but even that might be improved on.

I have a Masterbuilt 20070215 electric smoker:

ahumador-de-carne-masterbuilt-40-pulgadas-con-bluetooth-D_NQ_NP_744253-MLM25733164110_072017-O.jpg

One thing I know for certain is I have to learn to adjust my methods to suit my particular smoker. Trying to follow a competition level method for a massive offset smoker doesn't work.

The brisket came up to 145 degrees in just over 2 hours with the smoker set at 200 degrees. At that point I shut the smoker off let it sit for about an hour and a half. After that the brisket had dropped down to 108 when I restarted the smoker and set it to 275. The brisket stalled when it hit 160.

Fully cooked and safe to eat so now I need to adjust for more tenderness.

For pork belly heaven follow this method and recipe:

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I'm glad it turned out for you my friend!

Here's a little advice from a fellow piper, and an old Texan that's been smoking brisket longer than I care to remember. If you want your brisket to be tender and juicy... do this

Leave 1/8 inch of fat on the flat when you trim it up. No need to leave fat on the point, plenty of internal fat there.

Cook the brisket fat side down. This prevents the meaty part from over-cooking and drying out. This is more noticeable on an offset smoker, but your heat is coming from the bottom I think, so it's still valid. There is a myth that brisket should be cooked fat side up so that the fat oozes down through the brisket. This does not actually happen as people think. It's just a myth... so smoke fat side down, BUT save all the fat from trimming the brisket and place on splatter screen on rack above brisket.. over the meaty part. This fat will render down during the smoke and slowly drip beefy goodness down onto the meaty part which not only keeps it from drying out, but adds yummy fatty juices ;) This is just a little twist I do.. it works!

Count on about 1hr smoking per pound. The only way you will get to temp on a brisket sooner than this is to crank the heat up to 270-300, and that is NOT low and slow smoking. You might as well roast it in the oven. (which is doable and tender, but not smoky, and not kosher lol.

Smoke the brisket at a temp of 225-230 until internal temp of the flat reaches 150, or until it stalls, whichever comes first.

Use a remote thermometer and do not open the door (except to add wood chips etc.) until the brisket reaches temp. You have the advantage of being able to do this with that electric smoker. Every time you open the door of that electric smoker you dump all the heat out. Then it has to come back up to temp which just prolongs the smoke.

Once brisket reaches 150 or stalls, remove and wrap in parchment paper, or foil, parchment paper is better!
Return to your smoker and crank the heat up to 270-300 just until the brisket starts to climb out of the stall, then lower back to 225-230 and continue the smoke until internal temperature reaches 203. This is the temp at which your brisket will be tender and juicy, but not over cooked. Anything under that temp and it will not be at it's most tender. Anything over that temp and it will start to dry out.

At this point you have several options...
1) If you're in a hurry to eat asap, remove from smoker, unwrap, let it rest 30-45 minutes, slice and enjoy.
2) If your smart, and your brisket was done several... 1 to 5 hours prior to mealtime... lower temp of smoker to 125 if possible. leave it alone until 30 minutes before mealtime, remove unwrap, slice, enjoy... or
3) Remove from smoker, wrap in foil, then several old towels, place in an ice chest until 30 min before mealtime, then remove, unwrap slice and enjoy.
4) If you want to firm up your bark, remove from wrap, place back on grate, set temp to 300 and cook for 10-15 minutes. Remove from smoker, let rest 30-45 min. slice and enjoy

Points to remember...
If it stalls wrap it up and get that heat up to break out of stall. The cause of a stall is the juices evaporating off the surface and cooling the brisket such that it is not cooking anymore given the heat applied to it. Wrapping it stops the evaporating process. Increasing the heat brings the temp of the brisket UP such that evaporating juices don't matter anymore and it can continue rise in temp until tender.

Leave the smoker closed. Only open when necessary. Use a remote thermometer. This just make the process so much easier. You always know what the internal temp is so you can spot the stall right away, which is important if you want to bust out of it, and get to temp asap, and they are very affordable these days.

Make sure you're slicing the brisket correctly... start on the end of the flat, slice across the grain on the flat, when you reach the point meat on top of flat rotate 90 degrees, continue to slice from big side to small.. until a few inches from the end. slice that off and into burnt end chunks.

If you're interested in learning to do some yummy pork candy (smoked pork belly) PM me for details. I'm sure I've already glazed some eyes over with this long-winded post. lol

Good luck to you brother. Smoking meat is a wonderful and satisfying endeavor.
Even after 50 years of doing it I still learn new stuff all the time.
So never give up and keep on smokin!

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I'm glad it turned out for you my friend!

Here's a little advice from a fellow piper, and an old Texan that's been smoking brisket longer than I care to remember. If you want your brisket to be tender and juicy... do this

Leave 1/8 inch of fat on the flat when you trim it up. No need to leave fat on the point, plenty of internal fat there.

Cook the brisket fat side down. This prevents the meaty part from over-cooking and drying out. This is more noticeable on an offset smoker, but your heat is coming from the bottom I think, so it's still valid. There is a myth that brisket should be cooked fat side up so that the fat oozes down through the brisket. This does not actually happen as people think. It's just a myth... so smoke fat side down, BUT save all the fat from trimming the brisket and place on splatter screen on rack above brisket.. over the meaty part. This fat will render down during the smoke and slowly drip beefy goodness down onto the meaty part which not only keeps it from drying out, but adds yummy fatty juices ;)

Count on about 1hr smoking per pound. The only way you will get to temp on a brisket sooner than this is to crank the heat up to 270-300, and that is NOT low and slow smoking. You might as well roast it in the oven. (which is doable and tender, but not smoky, and not kosher lol.

Smoke the brisket at a temp of 225-230 until internal temp of the flat reaches 150, or until it stalls, whichever comes first.

Use a remote thermometer and do not open the door (except to add wood chips etc.) until the brisket reaches temp. You have the advantage of being able to do this with that electric smoker. Every time you open the door of that electric smoker you dump all the heat out. Then it has to come back up to temp which just prolongs the smoke.

Once brisket reaches 150 or stalls, remove and wrap in parchment paper, or foil, parchment paper is better!
Return to your smoker and crank the heat up to 270-300 just until the brisket starts to climb out of the stall, then lower back to 225-230 and continue the smoke until internal temperature reaches 203. This is the temp at which your brisket will be tender and juicy, but not over cooked.

At this point you have several options...
1) If you're in a hurry to eat asap, remove from smoker, unwrap, let it rest 30-45 minutes, slice and enjoy.
2) If your smart, and your brisket was done several... 1 to 5 hours prior to mealtime... lower temp of smoker to 125 if possible. leave it alone until 30 minutes before mealtime, remove unwrap, slice, enjoy... or
3) Remove from smoker, wrap in foil, then several old towels, place in an ice chest until 30 min before mealtime, then remove, unwrap slice and enjoy.
4) If you want to firm up your bark, remove from wrap, place back on grate, set temp to 300 and cook for 10-15 minutes. Remove from smoker, let rest 30-45 min. slice and enjoy

Points to remember...
If it stalls wrap it up and get that heat up to break out of stall. The cause of a stall is the juices evaporating off the surface and cooling the brisket such that it is not cooking anymore given the heat applied to it. Wrapping it stops the evaporating process. Increasing the heat brings the temp of the brisket UP such that evaporating juices don't matter anymore and it can continue rise in temp until tender.

Leave the smoker closed. Only open when necessary. Use a remote thermometer. This just make the process so much easier. You always know what the internal temp is so you can spot the stall right away, which is important if you want to bust out of it, and get to temp asap, and they are very affordable these days.

Make sure you're slicing the brisket correctly... start on the end of the flat, slice across the grain on the flat, when you reach the point meat on top of flat rotate 90 degrees, continue to slice from big side to small.. until a few inches from the end. slice that off and into burnt end chunks.

If you're interested in learning to do some yummy pork candy (smoked pork belly) PM me for details. I'm sure I've already glazed some eyes over with this long-winded post. lol

Good luck to you brother. Smoking meat is a wonderful and satisfying endeavor.
Even after 50 years of doing it I still learn new stuff all the time.
So never give up and keep on smokin!
Great advice
I use the Texas crutch method that you described and have had excellent results.
I however do believe fat side up is the better way to go.