PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SoliDeoGloria

Lurker
Nov 18, 2020
Bluegrass, KY
Over the past 2 years or so, I've been "resting" my pipes outside in our garage in my smoking tray that I keep on top of our beer/extra food fridge. Generally, this involves one or two of my cobs, and then at least one of my workhorse briars that's in regular rotation. I've found this allows me to let them rest without cleaning them after each use and annoying my wife, who has learned to tolerate the smell of a resting pipe but doesn't care for the ashy smell indoors...

The garage is clearly not exposed to the elements of direct sun, rain, etc, but in the summer could be upwards of 80 degrees and in the winter could be below 30 degrees. The humidity is not a major issue, and I find that all of my pipes are performing well after resting out there, including the cobs that I tend to leave out there except for a bi-monthly cleaning.
Since I'm going on 2 years of doing this, I'm assuming it's an OK practice? I don't want to permanently damage my Savinelli or Rattray's briars, but they seem to be holding up to this treatment also.

Anyone else have a similar "outside" resting/storage process or am I "playing with fire"?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know that would cause any problems. From other posts on other issues, I guess it might make some stems fit more loosely, in which case, just warming them up to indoor temperatures would probably solve the problem.

I had one pipe stem go loose on me just resting it indoors, but once I smoked it, it tightened up and has been secure ever since. That could also be some variation in humidity too.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
To prevent @HawkeyeLinus from worrying, maybe put a briar that is cold into your inside pocket of your jacket for a bit before packing it, to bring it up above freezing. We don't want him losing sleep. puffy
Haha, I'm not worrying about someone else's pipes! Use 'em as you see fit. I guess I was interested if anyone had any insights into whether a briar at say 25 degrees would be at risk from lighting up, if it was that cold, and figured some might show up - like I said, nothing scientific here, I'm just naturally cautious! :)

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
but I have absolutely nothing scientific to guide me on that.

OP, your pipes will be fine. They probably have more risk of being “damaged” through not being cleaned than of resting in your garage.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I might be a bit concerned about a lighting a pipe with an ambient temperature of 25 degrees. I sure would start smoking it real slow to avoid the expansion caused by heat to be too fast and potentially crack the bowl. Briar is quite resilient, if you haven't had problems to date, you're probably good.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I always keep my pipes at 74 degrees and never let them get too cold or two hot. I feel that pipes can crack with sever temperatures. In over 20 years I have never had a pipe crack on me and I do not expect it to happen anytime soon

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
All of my pipes reside in my attached but unheated garage. It fluctuates from perhaps 40's to 80's throughout the year. Not as extreme as yours, but I've had no issues at all. Wait, before that I had some (and still do) in my shop that goes through a little more extremes. Either way there's been no problem.

Reactions: aspiring_sage

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I would just clean it more often. Like after each smoke. I keep all my pipes indoor right behind where my wife works. No complaints if I clean my pipe as soon as I'm finished smoking, and my wife hate smell of smoke.

Bobby Bailey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 8, 2021
Upper Southwest Arkansas, USA
Keep in mind that people smoked briar pipes back when houses didn't have heat after the fireplace went out and ice formed in the chamber pots well before morning. Men and women still lit up in the cold.
When growing up in the late 50's and early 60's most of my kin didn't have electricity, they still got up, lit a pipe, broke ice, and made coffee. Or, in the summer, got up, wiped sweat, and lit a pipe.
A briar pipe is a piece of wood intended to build a fire in without regard to the temp and humidity. A/C and controlled humidity is a new thing in terms of pipe smoking.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I keep all of my pipes in the garage, and my tobacco too. The only issue I’ve found is this: at times of high humidity (much of the year here in Florida) the pipes benefit from longer rests—drying— between smokes

Reactions: FLDRD

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I keep all of my pipes in the garage, and my tobacco too. The only issue I’ve found is this: at times of high humidity (much of the year here in Florida) the pipes benefit from longer rests—drying— between smokes
Having just moved from the Colorado high country to Georgia/Alabama, I find the high humidity actually rehydrates open tins of tobacco and as you observed, it takes longer for my pipes to dry after a wet smoke.

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
I don't know that would cause any problems. From other posts on other issues, I guess it might make some stems fit more loosely, in which case, just warming them up to indoor temperatures would probably solve the problem.

I had one pipe stem go loose on me just resting it indoors, but once I smoked it, it tightened up and has been secure ever since. That could also be some variation in humidity too.
I kept my daily used pipes outside in the garage with no issues, but I certainly see mso's point. I always worried that the temperatures would effect the tenon and the bowl would be too loose. Fortunately, I never experienced any problems.