Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I'm a sucker for chips and salsa in Mexican restaurants. I'll fill up and take my meal home if needed and think it is a crime when they charge for even the first basket.

On occasion, I'll make restaurant style salsa at home with canned tomatoes, chopped onions, fresh or pickled jalapenos, and cilantro.

However, I'm looking for a decent tasting jarred salsa when I'm too busy or lazy to make my own (or the cilantro went bad since it seemingly has a 2 day shelf life). One that doesn't taste like tin and has a fresh flavor.

Any suggestions?

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
If I must have jarred salsa, I'll turn to La Vitoria in the hottest possible version available.
Mrs. Renfro also has a pretty decent jarred salsa.
And Herdez of course.
Trader Joe's has a variety of salsas, but I find them hit and miss.

My preference of course is for salsa fresca, which I sometimes find offered in supermarkets.
The very best is home made with fresh tomatoes.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
For Mexican hot sauce, I normally prefer Tapitao. However, I just tried a Herdez Avocado Hot Sauce with tomatillos that is a little creamy and hits the spot.

I'll check out their other products.
I love Herdez guacamole salsa on hot dogs. As to jarred salsa, there are countless ones and numbers seem to grow every time I'm at the store. Due to price considerations, there are many higher dollar ones I've yet to try.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
www.galenacanning.com in Galena, Illinois is about two hours from home and they produce great salsa's and BBQ sauces. When we're in the area we pick up several jars. I especially like their cherry salsa. I've never ordered online from them... they'd probably arrive broken.

We usually just buy Casa Mamita (Aldi's) or Herdez.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
This thread brought to mind the following:

Years later Alton Brown had an episode were he made chili that involved a jar of salsa. He said it made no difference what one use chose but he used one "made in New York City...those folks must know what they're doing ". I still laugh at that.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
For canned salsa I just grab a jar of Herdez at the supermarket. Quality should be good enough, since you won't get top quality salsa at the store anyway. For max healthy and quality you make your own.

Quick salsa: boil your preferred dried chilis in water till they're tender, then add tomatoes or tomatillos and continue boiling till the skin of the tomatoes is easily peeled off. Take off the heat. Transfer the chillis and tomatoes onto a plate or bowl, peel off the skin of the tomatoes and remove the veins and stems from the chillis. Put chillis and tomatoes into a blender, add about a cup of the water they boiled in, salt to taste, and blend to your desired consistency. Serve.

For chillis I normally use about 3 arbol peppers, one ancho, and one habanero.

Enjoy.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
According to my wife I am a "salsa hound" and this has been by regular go-to for awhile now...

PXL_20221107_022750685.jpg

Other options in the cabinet at the moment include homemade and canned, Frog Ranch, and Kylito's.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I like homemade best, but I keep this on hand when time is short...........
I "doctor" it up a bit as the mood dictates, but it's good straight from the jar, and I like that it comes in a 32 ounce size............ I can drunk-eat me some salsa and chips every now and again!!
I get it at Costco.
View attachment 179954
"Not responsible for obsession." Nice, but I'll be the judge of that! Too bad that brand isn't available to me.

• Sad
Reactions: beefeater33

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Years later Alton Brown had an episode were he made chili that involved a jar of salsa. He said it made no difference what one use chose but he used one "made in New York City...those folks must know what they're doing ". I still laugh at that.
I tend to buy "cheaper" salsas. While I can hack Pace if I have to, can't say I'm all that fond of it.