PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
Am also interested to hear any thoughts/impressions of your visit. Any pics of the interior? Don't see too many cool old-school tobacco shops like that around any more...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I prefer Leavitt and Peirce over Peretti, and they are almost just as old. They used to have very similar inventories back in the day and the people were so much nicer. Paretti's has or had a reputation for being dicks. Also Leavitt is in Harvard square which is cool, You can walk on the Harvard Yard any time you want.
I grew up 10 miles from Peretti and maybe 12 to Leavitt. My old man would take me as a kid.

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
I prefer Leavitt and Peirce over Peretti, and they are almost just as old. They used to have very similar inventories back in the day and the people were so much nicer. Paretti's has or had a reputation for being dicks. Also Leavitt is in Harvard square which is cool, You can walk on the Harvard Yard any time you want.
I grew up 10 miles from Peretti and maybe 12 to Leavitt. My old man would take me as a kid.
Leavitt and Pierce seems like it is a sort of general store. They have shaving/games/tobacco etc. Where as Peretti is more tobacco?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Used to go into L and P all the time when i lived in Davis Square and hung out in Harvard Sq, didn’t even smoke back then but i loved to look through all of the random crap they sold.

Merton

Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I'm like a couple hour drive away, still need to go. I want to try and do a Mass run for WCC, Wilke and LJP in one shot. Hope you enjoyed the shop.
That's going to be a long ride. You can certainly do WCC and LJP in a day (traffic will not be pleasant) but Wilke is a very long ride to Bristol County. Moreover, I don't think they have a B&M side. BTW, LJP is a very small footprint.

Reactions: Peter Turbo

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
It has flipped. L&P have almost no tobacco and employees have no clue about their blends now. Peretti is small but have great tobaccos and knowledgeable, friendly staff.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I was born in the Boston area, but my family moved away before my first birthday; so, I've always felt a draw to the area that I never got to grow up in. I finally made it there about a decade ago, and visited Peretti while there. I'd been pipe smoking for a few years by then. I very much wanted to buy one of their branded pipes, but I was short on funds at the time and couldn't justify it. Bummed over this, I was driving up the Maine coast the next day and stopped in at an antique store. There, right near the door when I first walked in, was a lovely Peretti branded bent bulldog for the whopping price of $3. It cleaned up beautifully and remains a favorite pipe.

Andre_T

Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
It has flipped. L&P have almost no tobacco and employees have no clue about their blends now. Peretti is small but have great tobaccos and knowledgeable, friendly staff.
I have to concur with this statement. I enjoyed the visit to L& P but it was... not what I would consider a tobacconist. I did love LJ Peretti as it had been a while since I had been there,

LOREN

Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
I guess I was a little underwhelmed by the shop, didn’t think about taking pictures. The gentleman behind the counter was very friendly.

Attachments

• 3C84A0B4-E09D-4BA3-8D57-2BA4E923B5FE.jpeg
    3C84A0B4-E09D-4BA3-8D57-2BA4E923B5FE.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 79010B8A-91E8-45E3-B24D-A555164B1B7E.jpeg
    79010B8A-91E8-45E3-B24D-A555164B1B7E.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: samuelgawith01

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
All this talk of Peretti motivated me to put in an order today.

I'd had (and loved) Omega in the past, but I hadn't yet tried Royal or Tashkent. So I just ordered those three.

But whilst on the site, I noticed that they sell some aromatics, too.

I thought that MA law now prohibited all flavored tobacco, with the only exception being that which is sold by cigar and hookah lounges for consumption on site. How does Peretti get around this? How do they have, for instance, a honey flavored cavendish? Do I misunderstand MA law?

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I had not heard of this place until reading this thread. I ended up purchased a LOT of samples of their house blends, 28 to be exact. So far some are pretty good. I was pretty impressed with a couple of their blends and fast service, so I returned to their website and purchased a Dunhill from looking at their first image and description. I had the pipe in my hand for a minute or two before I realized it had a major repair done that was undisclosed. They should have seen it IMHO since the replacement part of the shank didn't have any of the stampings to help date the pipe. They did full purchase price refund several days later after a second email asking about my $$$. Little disappointed they refuse to refund return postage. I don't think I was out of line asking for it since it was undisclosed repair and not just a change of heart purchase. FWIW they now do have a mention in their lower description about the repair and lowered the price about $30.