Stepping Away from In-Store, Big Jar Blends.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Here are some observations based on my experience.

I've been at this for a good while now (15 or so years) and I'm still on the search for the perfect tobacco. I've had seasons where this or that would do, but then it passes and I'm on the hunt again. This is surely a common experience.

When I first started smoking pipes, I went to a nice (now closed) shop that had a big jar blend that got me started. I smoked it for the first five or so years. When they closed I went to some other shops, tried their blends, didn't like them, and started buying online.

This went on for a few years: a couple years of Admiral's Choice, four or five years of Carter Hall, and plenty of Captn Black in between (which I actually like a lot) etc, until something would change and I'd decide it was time to start the search again.

Over the years I'd also buy some tins online, mostly based on the cool names they had. I liked Blood Red Moon ok, but many of the others were so strong I couldn't enjoy them. And they were very expensive experiments.

So back to the big jar blends at shops. I've even tried many of them while traveling. They all tend to have catchy names like "Irish Mist," "English Afternoon," "Scottish Autumn," etc. And they all smell good. And they usually taste pretty good at first. And then they burn down and end up all tasting pretty much the same, to me at least. They must all be the same bulk tobacco from the same supplier, slightly altered for each shop's purposes. I've never been able to get a shop owner to actually tell me what the tobacco is. Many of them want the customer to think they came up with the blend in-house. I get it, but that seems a little misleading all the while.

Recently I went into a local shop and bought my last of the big jar blends. As always, it smelled great, but only tasted ok upon lighting. Half way through the bowl it actually tasted like I was licking a well-used ashtray. That 4 oz. bag cost me $28, and it somewhat saddened me to think that I could have bought something I enjoyed for the same money.

So that's a long journey's end for me: no more big jar tobacco. It's actually somewhat freeing to find what one doesn't like and begin a new journey.

Lately I've been enjoying some Stokkebye stuff I got online. I want to try more of that and see where the road takes me from there.

Last edited by a moderator:

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Most B&M jar blends are just relabeled Sutliff or Lane aromatics.

Smokingpipes has plenty of bulk blends available for comparatively lower prices than B&Ms, what I did was buy 1oz samples of a lot of various blends and also the main blending components (virginia, burley, orientals, perique, latakia, cavendish, etc) until I figured out what components and flavours I liked, then bought larger quantities once I narrowed it down a little.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Stokkebye makes some excellent blends though I age them for 4 to 5 years before smoking. The tobaccos aren't ready for prime time when released, but really expand with great flavors when left to mature.

Enjoy your explorations. There are excellent smokes to be found, such as the Sutliff bulks and seasonal releases, Watch City blends, Gawith and Hoggarth, Sam Gawith, HU, GL Pease, Seattle Pipe Club, and others.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Stokkebye makes some excellent blends though I age them for 4 to 5 years before smoking. The tobaccos aren't ready for prime time when released, but really expand with great flavors when left to mature.

Enjoy your explorations. There are excellent smokes to be found, such as the Sutliff bulks and seasonal releases, Watch City blends, Gawith and Hoggarth, Sam Gawith, HU, GL Pease, Seattle Pipe Club, and others.
Based on your praise and @jiminks’ reviews I got intrigued by Ken Byron Ventures and finally pulled the trigger and ordered some. I like trying different blends. Wilke is still my main “source” - several blends of John’s I like and know are long term “keepers”, so there’s a couple more outlets, OP!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Here are some observations based on my experience.

I've been at this for a good while now (15 or so years) and I'm still on the search for the perfect tobacco. I've had seasons where this or that would do, but then it passes and I'm on the hunt again. This is surely a common experience.

When I first started smoking pipes, I went to a nice (now closed) shop that had a big jar blend that got me started. I smoked it for the first five or so years. When they closed I went to some other shops, tried their blends, didn't like them, and started buying online.

This went on for a few years: a couple years of Admiral's Choice, four or five years of Carter Hall, and plenty of Captn Black in between (which I actually like a lot) etc, until something would change and I'd decide it was time to start the search again.

Over the years I'd also buy some tins online, mostly based on the cool names they had. I liked Blood Red Moon ok, but many of the others were so strong I couldn't enjoy them. And they were very expensive experiments.

So back to the big jar blends at shops. I've even tried many of them while traveling. They all tend to have catchy names like "Irish Mist," "English Afternoon," "Scottish Autumn," etc. And they all smell good. And they usually taste pretty good at first. And then they burn down and end up all tasting pretty much the same, to me at least. They must all be the same bulk tobacco from the same supplier, slightly altered for each shop's purposes. I've never been able to get a shop owner to actually tell me what the tobacco is. Many of them want the customer to think they came up with the blend in-house. I get it, but that seems a little misleading all the while.

Recently I went into a local shop and bought my last of the big jar blends. As always, it smelled great, but only tasted ok upon lighting. Half way through the bowl it actually tasted like I was licking a well-used ashtray. That 4 oz. bag cost me $28, and it somewhat saddened me to think that I could have bought something I enjoyed for the same money.

So that's a long journey's end for me: no more big jar tobacco. It's actually somewhat freeing to find what one doesn't like and begin a new journey.

Lately I've been enjoying some Stokkebye stuff I got online. I want to try more of that and see where the road takes me from there.
yes pretty much a great chance that the jarred blends are some version or variation on either Lane or Sutliff at least from my experience. Some shops are really open about it too. Like my local wasn't shy about what went into their blends. And where it can make a bigger difference is when the shop blends those tobaccos. I miss my local shop if they stuck it out they could have been one of the shops that gets mentioned on here frequently.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
....and that is why everyone goes wild every time a new limited tobacco comes out... everyone wants to find that perfect blend..... and the search goes on....

Not everyone! I purposely don't buy the "limiteds" for the exact reason that if I like it, getting more will be difficult and expensive. Too many folks buying for speculation!

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Not everyone! I purposely don't buy the "limiteds" for the exact reason that if I like it, getting more will be difficult and expensive. Too many folks buying for speculation!
Yeah I would agee with that.

I have also been focussing on finding a selection of blends that are regularly available (For building up the cellar).

Much of my rotation is G&H, GLPease and Kolhase & Kopp blends. I wish Germains were easier to get.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as saying I avoid limited releases... but I certainly would rather spend on regular stuff for the cellar.

Enjoy the journey though OP, there is a wealth of choice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As the second post on this thread points out, most of the "big jar" blends at pipe shops are from the big blenders like Lane, Sutliff, and Stokkebye. The pipe shops rename them so you will come back and buy their renamed blends rather than locating them online and buying them for a little less. My local independent pipe shop is up front, if you ask, and will tell you the source of any of their big jar blends or sell them to you by name, because the proprietor is an experienced pipe man and is straightforward with his customers.

I'd go back and try some all-Virginia or all-burley blends in bulk, since those are by far most often used as base tobaccos (base being the highest proportion of a blend). You can also mix these two to find the proportion you like best, which makes a dependable and moderately priced home mix.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
At least around here, the local shops charge right about double for an ounce of bulk tobacco vs online. I prefer buying local but there is a point where it stops making sense.

Reactions: FLDRD

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I want to support my local independent pipe shop, and believe it is worth it to pay a little more, at least from time to time. Unfortunately, I don't practice what I preach, because of my life circumstances, I don't often have the time to drive across town and spend time there, but when I do, I try to buy something, including pipe cleaners and maybe a blend or two. I have bought four or five pipes from them as well. Pipe shops preserve the lore, culture and community of pipe smoking, and it is a tough thing to lose them.

Reactions: FLDRD

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I will go into a local shop for pipe cleaners and other accessories, and to look at pipes when I'm in the market, but I'm going to start doing my tobacco shopping mostly online. I've just wasted too much money on bad tobacco in local shops over the years. If I find a good tin that I like and a local shop carries it, I'd buy that from them with pleasure. But those big jar house blends are out for me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you want to try some popular blends that are readily available at the big online retailers like smokingpipes, or tobaccopipes.com or marscigars. which are excellent sources. Here are a few I would recommend. They are all flakes so you will need to read up on how to prepare and smoke them. I recommend starting with the cube cut method.
Capstan Blue Flake- Virginia
Peterson Flake- Virginia
Savinellli Doblone d;Oro - Virginia/Kentucky and Perique
Peterson Irish Flake- Virginia Burley
Peterson University Flake---it is a Virginia/Burley blend with a nice topping of plum that is not over bearing.
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired- Virginia/Kentucky
GL Pease Navigator- Virginia/Kentucky with a topping of rum. It takes a few years for the Kentucky to smooth out but it is very tasty especially with 10 years.