PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
@Briar Lee I think your posts are fantastic and love reading each of them. Please don’t let those who are competing for the gold metal in the Pedantic Olympics cramp your style. There are some knowns when it comes to pipes but there are far more unknowns. My pipes make me happy and I‘m always curious to learn why another pipe smoker‘s pipes make them happy. The idea of arguing with them about it strikes me as absurd.

My dad was a lawyer too, he practiced for 45 years. Here we are in front of his collection, nearly 500 pipes, not long before he retired:

View attachment 167345
500 pipes!?

Ok....which one is the favorite??

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
A bird was standing in a field chatting with a bull.

“I would love to get to the top of yonder tree,” sighed the bird, “but I ain’t got the energy.”

“Well, why don’t you nibble on some of my droppings?” replied the bull. “They’re packed with nutrients.”

The bird pecked at some dung and found that it gave him enough strength to reach the first branch of the tree. The next day, after eating some more dung, he reached the second branch. And similarly for the third day.

Finally, on the fourth day, he was proudly perched at the top of the tree.

This was when a farmer saw him, dashed into the farmhouse, emerged with a shotgun, and shot the bird right out of the tree.

Moral of the story: Bullshit might get you to the top, but it won’t keep you there.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
If I did, I believe I’d find only a sandwich of tars that soaked inside the briar and destroyed it’s vitality on the inside and the out. In the center, the briar would still look fresh and brown.

The same phenomena occurs in meerschaum pipes, accelerated by using beeswax to seal the exterior.

Only, the boiled and dried, and preferably aged, burls of the roots of heath trees grown around the rim on the Mediterranean are useful for smoking tobacco. There is no other wood as useful, although men have tried every root and wood under the sun as a cheaper replacement.

I believe the reason we must rest our pipes between smokes, has to do with the porosity of briar.

I believe the reason I own over two hundred briar pipes and not one smokes exactly just the same, is due to the flavor of the briar being imparted to the smoke.

I’ve believed all this for nearly sixty years, since Harry Hosterman philosophized about the mysteries of briar while squatted under an oak tree in front of my father’s milk barn.

I can even remember asking him why, and his answer was the same reason there were over twenty kinds of oak trees in Spout Spring Hollow, and only a white oak could be useful for making bourbon whiskey barrels, none other.

Harry thought briar was God’s gift to pipe smokers, and as I get older, that’s the only explanation that explains it all.

Reactions: woodrow

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This pipe was used, but not abused.

65C5CAF5-3F4C-42C8-AB0A-8D355ED3CE32.jpeg9ADB0EF9-F37A-43BD-AE8C-1B3179DC4696.jpeg1A3020EF-A890-4B3A-B66B-7F8B12DB85A7.jpeg
Harry Hosterman had maybe a dozen pipes, he kept clean and rotated, but Harry would toss one that quit smoking sweet.

What’s unusual about this old Lee is somebody with ten dollars to splurge on pipes smoked one all the way down past the goodie.:)

Reactions: tfdickson

woodrow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2018
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I think that might be a stress fracture. If one would unscrew the stem just a bit and apply pressure that would crack the shank.
Other than that the salt and alcohol *might* have done it, but you’d have to have the salt and alcohol mixture in the shank.
The crack is quite fixable. In fact the whole pipe is. One opens the crack and pores in glue, or, open the crack put in the glue and use a zip tie.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I think the crack was caused by the Grand Alignment back in June. The combined flux of gravity focused on the loci of the stem of that pipe and allowed the atomic bonds in the wood to separate, dissipating the material that previously occupied that time/space along the magnetic lines of flux and turning it into antimatter. Harry Hosterman concurred with my theory via Ouija board.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I think the crack was caused by the Grand Alignment back in June. The combined flux of gravity focused on the loci of the stem of that pipe and allowed the atomic bonds in the wood to separate, dissipating the material that previously occupied that time/space along the magnetic lines of flux and turning it into antimatter. Harry Hosterman concurred with my theory via Ouija board.

This guy understands. :oops:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
There were three of these pipes.

What I think was the oldest, was the most expensive Yello Bole Imperial.

Then there is definitely a 7 pointed star Three Star Lee, with beautiful straight grain.

The last is the most used, a stamped star Lee so worn you can’t see even a ghost of a star.

Maybe the owner rotated between them, but I don’t think so. I prefer to think the owner retired the Yello Bole, then the 7 pointed star Lee, and finally the worn out Lee pot.

Harry was unique among the grown ups I knew who were pipe smokers in that he had more than one pipe for every day of the week. This was likely because the Hostermans were a prosperous family, mainly because Harry’s father, Harry, and his son Alva regularly wore out chainsaws.

My father had one chainsaw, that lasted him a lifetime. He milked cows 14 times a week, row cropped 370 acres, and grazed about 85. He bought all his firewood and fence posts from the Hostermans and if he had a need for boards they’d saw those two, using the custom sawmill another man named Carlson had set up in Spout Spring Hollow.

Last time I was home, I asked a young man who made his living with a chainsaw how long they lasted, and he said a good one might last a thousand hours, but he’d trade at about 300 to 500 while they were still worth something.

While we talked, he sat on his haunches just like the Hostermans did, in about the same spot, lighting cigarettes.

Why a sawer can squat like that, is obvious to anybody whose watched a man sawing in the big timber.

You can’t imagine hard work, until you’ve seen it. Squatting rests their backs.

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA
@Briar Lee I think your posts are fantastic and love reading each of them. Please don’t let those who are competing for the gold metal in the Pedantic Olympics cramp your style. There are some knowns when it comes to pipes but there are far more unknowns. My pipes make me happy and I‘m always curious to learn why another pipe smoker‘s pipes make them happy. The idea of arguing with them about it strikes me as absurd.

My dad was a lawyer too, he practiced for 45 years. Here we are in front of his collection, nearly 500 pipes, not long before he retired:

View attachment 167345
That picture...I'm without words. But what a wonderful legacy.

Reactions: tfdickson

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Who does ozone treatments now that Mike has closed up shop?
I’m not familiar with ozone treatments.

The problem with repairing or messing with Lee pipes is I’m smoking a brand new old one that cost $29 yesterday

But here’s an article about natural briar pipes being porous that would have came as no surprise to Harry Hosterman.

Eventually something happens to a briar, after many thousands of smokes, to cause it to need tossed and replaced.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I’m not familiar with ozone treatments.

The problem with repairing or messing with Lee pipes is I’m smoking a brand new old one that cost $29 yesterday

But here’s an article about natural briar pipes being porous that would have came as no surprise to Harry Hosterman.

Eventually something happens to a briar, after many thousands of smokes, to cause it to need tossed and replaced.
Lignins and extractives are what drives color change in wood over time.

As for the article you cite, it makes for a fabulous bullshit story. Created to drive pipe sales.

My Morgan Bones pipes darken over time. Could they have been made with this mystical “Virgin Briar”?

49644388-9F3F-482B-89C2-0EFED49D1E39.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: OzPiper