PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
In my eyes, there's very little that AI can accomplish that is actually of benefit. Many science fiction films/shows over the years (far too many to list here) have consistently demonstrated the deleterious effects on the planet and all its lifeforms (the living ones, not the ones that claim to be sentient) once AI becomes unrestrained. Sure, computer generated art might seem innocuous enough, but give the AI a millimeter, and it'll take a light year. Before you know it...well, just look at the humans Borg around us these days...it's just a sea of smartphones, each one with a middleman in varying degrees of assimilation.

Take that, Orwell! puffy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think that those reports are bullshit. No way that a machine can think before they make quantum computers and all that crap, maybe never.
Thinking is just making decisions based on learned things or situations. Some companies have been using computers to make small level decisions for years now. Creative thought may be years away but that's still just improving on what has been learned.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Thinking is just making decisions based on learned things or situations. Some companies have been using computers to make small level decisions for years now. Creative thought may be years away but that's still just improving on what has been learned.
I would not call it thinking. You could look up the chinese room thought experiment, it is very interesting.

autocannon

Lurker
Jul 29, 2012
Indian Trail, NC
I would not call it thinking. You could look up the chinese room thought experiment, it is very interesting.
I've run across that experiment while studying the the "hard problem of consciousness". From what I remember it asserts that computers are not capable of thinking as they are just following instructions. It may look like thinking from the outside, but on the inside it's just following a set of instructions with no real understanding of what it's doing.

autocannon

Lurker
Jul 29, 2012
Indian Trail, NC
It's a real stretch though to say that is art produced by artificial intelligence.. You know some sentient people are just barley capable of art.

It is cool and creepy!
The way it works is the computer has access to a massive image library with tags for what is in the picture. You give it a phrase and it interprets the phrase and tries to create an image with those things in it. Then it compares that picture to other pictures in the database and rates how similar it is. It does this hundreds of times with each iteration getting closer and closer until it reaches the number of iterations the program has specified. Then the image is output. So it's not art in the sense that a computer "thought" of the art. It just compares what it creates to a library of images and picks the highest "score" for similarity.

The scary stuff is what they are doing with voice generation these days. I can take a couple of 20 second clips of someone speaking and from that type what I want that person to say and the computer will do it. That could have some nefarious applications.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Computer "thought" has become so complex, and human thought has become so shallow, it wouldn't surprise me if we've met somewhere in the middle. People now seem to "think" with there emotions and believe whatever they wish to be true, which is actually a very small part of thinking at all.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
—I see amazing potential for making some nightmarish art.
Oh, please, don't give them any ideas. The garbage that's out there is bad enough already:

samsung-galaxy-s21-5g-8gb-128gb-6.2-smartphone.jpg

I think that those reports are bullshit. No way that a machine can think
Right. They can't. They have no soul, ergo they're incapable of critical thinking.

If-then-else is not thinking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Irrelevant as it may be, I noticed that the pipe smoking gentlemen in the AI art have a style similar to the paintings of Iraq war veterans done in retirement by former President George W. Bush. I'm not making any judgements on AI art nor George W.'s art, but they do have a distinct resemblance.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
In my eyes, there's very little that AI can accomplish that is actually of benefit. Many science fiction films/shows over the years (far too many to list here) have consistently demonstrated the deleterious effects on the planet and all its lifeforms (the living ones, not the ones that claim to be sentient) once AI becomes unrestrained. Sure, computer generated art might seem innocuous enough, but give the AI a millimeter, and it'll take a light year. Before you know it...well, just look at the humans Borg around us these days...it's just a sea of smartphones, each one with a middleman in varying degrees of assimilation.

Take that, Orwell! puffy
I'm sure there's nothing to be concerned about.