PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
Hallo all. Brand spankin' new member who just sauntered into the maelstrom that is the world of pipes and pipe tobacco. I have never been much of a smoker (apart from some keen interest in cigars in college) Much like (I assume) everyone here, I have always loved the smell of pipe tobacco and, now that I am fully ensconced in my mid-life considerings, decided it was time to find out more about this wonderful experience.

As of right now, I am trying my hand at the following:

1. Learning what the right tamping weight should be when packing a bowl.
2. Trying to understand the different types of tobaccos and blends and which I might like.
3. How many pipes does one need before the family coordinates an intervention
4. How to be patient and stick to the plan of "Buy a little bit, test it out many times, then purchase in quantity"

I appreciate all of the knowledge that has been imparted already from this forum. I have learned a lot in a little time and look forward to learning more.

What am I smoking?

G.L. Pease Gaslight - Trying to figure this one out. I keep reading that this one is a beast, but I struggle to find the nuance and attributes that have been mentioned in other posts.
Mac Baren scotch blend - Currently my favorite. Mild, but tasty.
PS Lux Twist Flake - I enjoy this. Mild, but tasty. I can see this being a mainstay for when I don't really want to have to focus too much on the session

There have been others, but I am so new to this that I need to have repeated sessions to see what I really think. I only recently figured out how to draw the flame down gently through the bowl as opposed to full incineration.

What do I seek?

I love flavor and the experience of flavor. I love complexity. When I drink alcohol, I generally drink Islay scotches and american single malts. I tend to stick closer to the "got punched in the mouth" styles of alcohol (love me some Mezcal, too). So, with that, what do you recommend?

Takk skal du ha!

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
Hallo all. Brand spankin' new member who just sauntered into the maelstrom that is the world of pipes and pipe tobacco. I have never been much of a smoker (apart from some keen interest in cigars in college) Much like (I assume) everyone here, I have always loved the smell of pipe tobacco and, now that I am fully ensconced in my mid-life considerings, decided it was time to find out more about this wonderful experience.

As of right now, I am trying my hand at the following:

1. Learning what the right tamping weight should be when packing a bowl.
2. Trying to understand the different types of tobaccos and blends and which I might like.
3. How many pipes does one need before the family coordinates an intervention
4. How to be patient and stick to the plan of "Buy a little bit, test it out many times, then purchase in quantity"

I appreciate all of the knowledge that has been imparted already from this forum. I have learned a lot in a little time and look forward to learning more.

What am I smoking?

G.L. Pease Gaslight - Trying to figure this one out. I keep reading that this one is a beast, but I struggle to find the nuance and attributes that have been mentioned in other posts.
Mac Baren scotch blend - Currently my favorite. Mild, but tasty.
PS Lux Twist Flake - I enjoy this. Mild, but tasty. I can see this being a mainstay for when I don't really want to have to focus too much on the session

There have been others, but I am so new to this that I need to have repeated sessions to see what I really think. I only recently figured out how to draw the flame down gently through the bowl as opposed to full incineration.

What do I seek?

I love flavor and the experience of flavor. I love complexity. When I drink alcohol, I generally drink Islay scotches and american single malts. I tend to stick closer to the "got punched in the mouth" styles of alcohol (love me some Mezcal, too). So, with that, what do you recommend?

Takk skal du ha!
welcome from Virginia

Reactions: ChonkyTonks

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
Welcome from Durham in the UK. Taste comes with time. But you may never be as good as some on here. But you can get huge pleasure none the less!

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
Welcome!

After practicing for a bit, I believe that you will develop your own system of how to do packing, lighting, etc.. There are many, here, who will offer good advice. You may adopt some of that advice, and discard the rest. I think that the right answers are the ones that work for you.

ChonkyTonks

Jul 14, 2022
Philly
Welcome!

After practicing for a bit, I believe that you will develop your own system of how to do packing, lighting, etc.. There are many, here, who will offer good advice. You may adopt some of that advice, and discard the rest. I think that the right answers are the ones that work for you.
Practice is definitely where it is at with this hobby (much like anything else, I guess) Just yesterday, I finally figured out how to get the flavor from the initial char and keep it lit. I absolutely love the flavors that tobacco have to offer up.

Also, I see that you are from Seattle. I was born/raised in Gig Harbor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You sound suitably thoughtful and adventurous for this pipe experience. Welcome aboard from central North Carolina.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from Florida. Put your big boy pants on and follow these instructions.
1. Buy a Savinelli or a Winslow for 100-150.00, you need a good pipe to start. Cobs in my opinion suck.
Buy the following blends and learn how to cube cut sand to fold and stuff flake tobacco.
Peterson Flake
Peterson Navy Rolls
Capstan Blue Flake
Peterson Irish Flake

Once you have mastered my suggestions you will be a pro and the entire world of pipes and tobacco will be yours for the taking. Vary from these instructions could add years before you get a clue.

I forgot to ask, Pats or Genos?

ChonkyTonks

Jul 14, 2022
Philly
Welcome from Florida. Put your big boy pants on and follow these instructions.
1. Buy a Savinelli or a Winslow for 100-150.00, you need a good pipe to start. Cobs in my opinion suck.
Buy the following blends and learn how to cube cut sand to fold and stuff flake tobacco.
Peterson Flake
Peterson Navy Rolls
Capstan Blue Flake
Peterson Irish Flake

Once you have mastered my suggestions you will be a pro and the entire world of pipes and tobacco will be yours for the taking. Vary from these instructions could add years before you get a clue.

I forgot to ask, Pats or Genos?
I have pants on from my "bigger" days. I bought an estate cob from a guy in a white van (rattle can paint job). I assume the ten lbs of Smoker's Pride Cherry that is soaking in extra 'tussin should be relatively equivalent to the ones you mentioned, yeah? I mean, at this point, I definitely feel like I am pretty close to this pro level you wrote about.

Pats or Genos? I never talk about politics in a forum. However, if I were forced, I would say Dalessandro's.

ChonkyTonks

Jul 14, 2022
Philly
I knew Gig Harbor well back in the day. I grew up in Tacoma and had many friends who lived over the bridge. Plus I knocked back more than a few beers at the Tides over the years.
The tides, the bar at the Narrows airport, and a few other places were places I frequented in my 20's. Where in T-town?