PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Rarely out of the news, this man clearly has a talent for making money, but he is also well known for his controversial views, some bordering on the truly bizarre.

He also appears to be something of a narcissist, revelling in the media attention that he more often than not has cultivated himself.

His latest ‘thing’ was his announcement that he intended to buy Twitter. First he was very interested, even quoting how much he was prepared to pay then a few weeks later stated he wouldn’t buy it unless certain terms were agreed beforehand….meanwhile the value of the company had shrunk considerably. A deliberate tactic? Who knows but possibly a clever one if he indeed intends to make the purchase.

There is no doubting his business prowess, he is after all supposed to be the richest man alive, but at what cost? Does the man have scruples, would he sell his grandmother if the price was right?

So folks, in your opinion, is this guy a saint or a sinner?

Regards,

Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Genius is an accolade to be taken lightly. Even historically confirmed geniuses like Einstein were all too humanly flawed. Musk is certainly immensely talented in financial machinations, an expansive quick learner, and a deft operator. If that makes him a genius, okay. In my opinion, he comes with equally outsized dysfunctions and weaknesses. I think his main genius may be being an interesting character, and I suppose, being outlandishly rich.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
It’s hard to imagine just what makes the ultra rich and powerful tick. I don’t think any of them (Musk included) are often hampered by any sort of altruistic ideations. But many are probably no worse than the rest of us. Their selfserving narcissism is just played out on a much grander scale.
I think Musk does a lot of things just because he can.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I suspect he will be judged in the future on the basis of his contributions to society. In that regard, he is on a steep, upward trajectory. All the "press" about his human foibles is inappropriate in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.