PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
It has to be fairly recent. Certainly didn't exist when I was smoking Dunhills and used to visit the Dunhill shop in Beverly Hills. People love titles. It makes the subject seem that much more special. The term ring grain has been around for many years without affiliation to any one marque.
I'm not sure whether I paid a premium for the ring grain designation. I might have. Like @cigrmaster, however,
I bought the pipe because of the classic billiard shape, which, to my eyes, is almost perfect.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I actually like the Dunhill shell briar as much as the ring grain. Deep sandblasts seems to be more popular nowadays, although I notice that Wolfgang Becker uses a very shallow blast that produces almost a matte finish.
A number of Danish makers use a shallow, more refined blasting technique, which bores the crap out of me. Why bother? I enjoy a good, detailed, deep, craggy blast, a real blast. I want something that reveals the wood, something like this:
VeXDgAf.jpg

Which also has the benefit of an imaginative approach to the use of sandblasting.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I assumed it was a grade, because of this stamp. Most of what I found on the web are White Spot, but I found a few in the early 2000's. (SmokingPipes never puts up a nomenclature photo, drives me nuts). Here's a White Spot below. I assume the Ring Grain must be a fairly modern stamp.

View attachment 143280
Yeah, I have the same opinion. I'd need to take another look at the nomenclature of my 6103 stamped shell, but which I think could've easily earned the stamp of Ring Grain, but I seem to remember that it's dated late 1990's, possibly '96.
As for SP never posting a nomenclature photo, I hear you. Drives me nuts too. That and the inability to zoom in on a photo'.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
From James Barber's site:

View attachment 143240

Interestingly, the Dunhill factory site lists a Straight Grain as grade, but doesn't mention the Ring Grain.

Also of note, the Ring Grain is not mentioned at the PIpepedia site. When was this grade introduced? (none of the collectors Dunhills shown on Pipedia, (Green, Loring, etc.) show a Ring Grain.
Hi Al and all ,
It is mentioned at the Pipedia :
"In 1986 Dunhill released a line of premium Shell finish pipes - "RING GRAIN". These are high-quality straight grain pipes which are sandblasted. Initially only Ring Grain, but now in two different finishes. In 1995 the "Shilling" was introduced with Cumberland finish - it is an extremely rare series. These pipes exhibit a deeper blast characteristic of that of the 1930's - mid-1960's (and the limited 'deep blast' pipes of the early 1980s) and show a fine graining pattern. These are considered the best new Dunhills by many enthusiasts today and are very rare. The finish is sometimes described as tasting like vanilla at first, with the taste becoming more normal or good as the pipe breaks in " .

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Howdy Fellow Pipers!
I received my Dunhill Gr6 shape 24 the other day, so as promised I've posted some pics of my Dunhill sand blasts.
In the first picture, from left to right, Gr5 24, Ring Grain, Gr6 24 Ring Grain, Gr6 03 Ring Grain & ODB 838 Ring Grain.
So, from the photographs I've posted, you'll understand my original question about who or what desides on Ring Grain designation. My Gr 6 03 is hands down the best Ring Grain of the lot. And yet it isn't, according to the stamping.

Reactions: UB 40 and dunnyboy
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Howdy Fellow Pipers!
I received my Dunhill Gr6 shape 24 the other day, so as promised I've posted some pics of my Dunhill sand blasts.
In the first picture, from left to right, Gr5 24, Ring Grain, Gr6 24 Ring Grain, Gr6 03 Ring Grain & ODB 838 Ring Grain.
So, from the photographs I've posted, you'll understand my original question about who or what desides on Ring Grain designation. My Gr 6 03 is hands down the best Ring Grain of the lot. And yet it isn't, according to the stamping.
The Dunhill carver, or his/her supervisor ?
What is the year suffix on the Gr 6 03 ?
The ring grain was introduced in 1986.

Reactions: dunnyboy

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Hi Al and all ,
It is mentioned at the Pipedia :
"In 1986 Dunhill released a line of premium Shell finish pipes - "RING GRAIN". These are high-quality straight grain pipes which are sandblasted. Initially only Ring Grain, but now in two different finishes. In 1995 the "Shilling" was introduced with Cumberland finish - it is an extremely rare series. These pipes exhibit a deeper blast characteristic of that of the 1930's - mid-1960's (and the limited 'deep blast' pipes of the early 1980s) and show a fine graining pattern. These are considered the best new Dunhills by many enthusiasts today and are very rare. The finish is sometimes described as tasting like vanilla at first, with the taste becoming more normal or good as the pipe breaks in " .
Ah,good eye, I missed that!

The OP asks "who does the grading". That's never known, to my knowledge, but I assume some senior employee does the grading,and it is very subjective, as noted in your new pipes above. Castello is also famous for inconsistent grading of premium pipes.