PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I have noticed that I seem to have an unexplainable affinity for the blends from a particular brand, or blending "house". (Not that I don't enjoy or appreciate others as well) And by this I mean that somehow, the blends from said brand just seem to provide "something" that I'm not getting in others at this point in time. I can't determine what that "something" is. But the desire generally leads me to want to at least end the day with one of "those".

If you're one that has noticed that happens (ed) to you, to what do you attribute the phenomenon?

Do you suspect:
A) The addition of some "secret sauce" that the particular company might use across their product line?
B) The skill of the blender(s) employed at that particular blending house?
C) A combination of both is involved?
D) Duh! It just happens sometimes?
E) Entirely something else?
F) Forgeddaboudit - it will change next year anyway.

Just a question of curiosity. No uncontrollable desire to solve, answer, or complicate the process.

Cheers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D and I go back to their days in North Carolina, and I am pleased that Jeremy at SP has maintained some of the themes and qualities of the brand. Mostly, it raised that old time burley leaf to a new respectable level as a blending leaf in English and other blends as well. I am aware that some veteran smokers find C&D not up to snuff, but I think for strong burley adherents they offer singular artistry.

I'm getting to feel that way about GLP, and have always felt strong affinity for the old Dunhill blends, now Peterson. I like a number of other houses -- D&R, OHM, SPC, Sutliff, the old McClelland of course. But I have a special affinity for C&D and their regard for burley. Along those lines, also Semois.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke flakes and plugs 99% of the time and my favorites are from companies like Wessex ,Fribourg & Treyer, Kolehas,Kupp Und Co, Orlik Mac Baren, Rotary, Brigham Klondike Gold.
Dunhill, Samuel Gawith . Solani. Esoterica .Peterson , GL Pease and I am missing a few more I believe.
I find that certain houses fit my smoking style so I stay with them.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
As time has gone by I have found blends I like enough to repeat, some are good enough but forgettable, and a relative few which I didn't prefer. I don't think I'm looking for a perfect blend, as I consistently have that something new to try, and many more in the works.

It's just interesting that I have found one brand in particular that I seem to like everything from them so far.

And that there are a couple of blends in particular which I just can't seem to stop wanting more of...

That slows down my exploration of new ones but I'm pushing onward!

Reactions: edger

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
These days I'm more focused on Virginias and their variants, like Va/Pers and Va/Bur/Pers, etc. I've also grown to appreciate the English tradition of semi aromatic Virginias. I gravitate to makers who specialize in high quality blends of that type with the result that my cellar has quite a bit of Gawith and Hoggarth, McClelland, HU, Motzek, MacBaren, Germain's/Esoterica, Watch City, and the GL Pease blends that C&D makes. I also have a fair amount of small batch like the RO Perique series, a some stuff from Sutliff and KBV. With the exception of Bijou and Yorktown, C&D doesn't figure heavily.

If I like the flavor of a blend I buy it, regardless of who makes it. At this point in the space/time continuum I'm buying very little.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I don't smoke a huge variety of tobaccos, but C & D is definitely my top brand. Probably because they have such a huge variety, good prices, and a lot of their best are also offered in bulk. So I would answer "E", and say that they cater to just about every taste, and make no apologies for it.
C&D have such a huge inventory that I can't say whether or not the same scenario applies for me as to what % I might like of theirs. Certainly some of what I've tried but there are too many for me to make the same statement at this time.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
C&D and I go back to their days in North Carolina, and I am pleased that Jeremy at SP has maintained some of the themes and qualities of the brand. Mostly, it raised that old time burley leaf to a new respectable level as a blending leaf in English and other blends as well. I am aware that some veteran smokers find C&D not up to snuff, but I think for strong burley adherents they offer singular artistry.

I'm getting to feel that way about GLP, and have always felt strong affinity for the old Dunhill blends, now Peterson. I like a number of other houses -- D&R, OHM, SPC, Sutliff, the old McClelland of course. But I have a special affinity for C&D and their regard for burley. Along those lines, also Semois.
Just ordered my first of Semois today. I intend to get to it sooner rather than later and find out how it is for me.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I smoke flakes and plugs 99% of the time and my favorites are from companies like Wessex ,Fribourg & Treyer, Kolehas,Kupp Und Co, Orlik Mac Baren, Rotary, Brigham Klondike Gold.
Dunhill, Samuel Gawith . Solani. Esoterica .Peterson , GL Pease and I am missing a few more I believe.
I find that certain houses fit my smoking style so I stay with them.
:) Seems like they all fit your style by the looks of that list!

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
These days I'm more focused on Virginias and their variants, like Va/Pers and Va/Bur/Pers, etc. I've also grown to appreciate the English tradition of semi aromatic Virginias. I gravitate to makers who specialize in high quality blends of that type with the result that my cellar has quite a bit of Gawith and Hoggarth, McClelland, HU, Motzek, MacBaren, Germain's/Esoterica, Watch City, and the GL Pease blends that C&D makes. I also have a fair amount of small batch like the RO Perique series, a some stuff from Sutliff and KBV. With the exception of Bijou and Yorktown, C&D doesn't figure heavily.

If I like the flavor of a blend I buy it, regardless of who makes it. At this point in the space/time continuum I'm buying very little.
I'm still swimming mostly in the smoky waters of Latakia, but expanding both palate and reserves to include others which I think will find a place in the space/time continuum for me. I don't care who the maker is as well, just intrigued by noticing that one house seems to have my tastes dialed in.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I'd be curious to know what blender you're referring to. Maybe I'm missing out on something great.
A common one that everyone knows about. It's even been listed here in this thread.
And the blends are quite popular across the board, rather "crowd pleasers" really.
I guess I'm part of the common crowd, but the preference for (any) particular brand got me to thinking and wondering.