PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Howdy, fellow pipers.
A question for the Dunhill enthusiasts/experts, regarding grading of sand-blasts.
I have, in my collection, several Duhill's sand-blast pipes. A 5117 shell grain, a 6103 shell grain, an ODB 838 shell grain and a Dunhill HT Cumberland.
My question is, who or what determines when a shell grain is designated Ring Grain? From the 4 pipes I've listed, the 6103 (which I bought as an estate from Dave Neeb, thanks Dave!) has a most excellent sand blast and as such, could, in my opinion be designated Ring Grain, Dave also described the pipe as a Ring Grain that slipped through the system.
As for my HT Cumberland, which has a lesser grain effect, I saw another HT Cumberland for sale on SP, with what appeared to be a blast that was pretty much the same as mine and was stamped Shilling.
This ramble isn't a complaint. Just an observation, which has prompted my question.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
From James Barber's site:

1651540536201.png

Interestingly, the Dunhill factory site lists a Straight Grain as grade, but doesn't mention the Ring Grain.

Also of note, the Ring Grain is not mentioned at the PIpepedia site. When was this grade introduced? (none of the collectors Dunhills shown on Pipedia, (Green, Loring, etc.) show a Ring Grain.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
From James Barber's site:

View attachment 143240

Interestingly, the Dunhill factory site lists a Straight Grain as grade, but doesn't mention the Ring Grain.

Also of note, the Ring Grain is not mentioned at the PIpepedia site. When was this grade introduced? (none of the collectors Dunhills shown on Pipedia, (Green, Loring, etc.) show a Ring Grain.
I've never thought of ring grain as a grade, just as a pattern. Not everyone prefers a ring grain blast, though I love them, like this deeply blasted WW2 era ring grain Barling:
wQ4ytf3.jpg

r83tygv.jpg

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
The sandblast of ring grains reveals a stack of almost parallel ridges that ring the bowl. I sold a Dunhill ring billiard with a saddle stem to SPC a couple of months ago that was almost perfect. Maybe that was the one you saw. The ones on Google images show a lot more latitude in what they designate as a ring grain.
dunnyboy,
Thanks for your reply.
I don't recall seeing your pipe for sale. Anyways, I understand that the Ring Grain effect is created by the grain of the briar, which after blasting is revealed.
My question is, who/what actually decides which Shell finish is designated Ring Grain.
As I said in my original, my 6103 is near perfect Ring Grain and is yet stamped Shell Grain. Conversely, I've seen Ring Grains (stamped Ring Grain) which are perhaps so-so and yet carry the coveted Ring Grain stamping.

I've also searched other sources for an answer and can't find much about the subject. Pretty much what ssjones has posted, really. Very little on the subject.

All I do know is that I'm a sucker for the Ring Grain, I'm just waiting to receive a Dunhill G6 Four-Square (6117), which is stamped Ring Grain.
It'll be interesting to see how the 6103 blasting compares with the 6117 blasting, the "03" stamped Shell, the "17" stamped Ring.

I'll post pics of the two pipes side-by-side for comparison, when I receive the "17".

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I don't know. I also don't know if that dog is really little or you're super huge.
HAHA!
Yeah, he was really small back then.
He's Norman, our Boston Terrier. He was 6 weeks old then and really small. I was lounging on the couch one evening, nursing a broken wrist and he climbed up my body and sat on my shoulder.
He's a great guy!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
dunnyboy,
Thanks for your reply.
I don't recall seeing your pipe for sale. Anyways, I understand that the Ring Grain effect is created by the grain of the briar, which after blasting is revealed.
My question is, who/what actually decides which Shell finish is designated Ring Grain.
As I said in my original, my 6103 is near perfect Ring Grain and is yet stamped Shell Grain. Conversely, I've seen Ring Grains (stamped Ring Grain) which are perhaps so-so and yet carry the coveted Ring Grain stamping.

I've also searched other sources for an answer and can't find much about the subject. Pretty much what ssjones has posted, really. Very little on the subject.

All I do know is that I'm a sucker for the Ring Grain, I'm just waiting to receive a Dunhill G6 Four-Square (6117), which is stamped Ring Grain.
It'll be interesting to see how the 6103 blasting compares with the 6117 blasting, the "03" stamped Shell, the "17" stamped Ring.

I'll post pics of the two pipes side-by-side for comparison, when I receive the "17".
Here are some articles that you might find interesting:

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I was able to track down the order from my SPC account. The pipe sold new for $374.10 on November 28, 2008. (The extra ten cents almost kept me from buying it LOL)

I've attached a photo of the pipe from the SPC website.

002-015-0722.jpg

Dunhill: Ring Grain (5203) Tobacco Pipe​

Product Number: 002-015-0722​

Looking at this product of the famous Dunhill sandblasting process, this pipe earned its "Ring Grain" designation and then some. This pipe's grain is dense, tight, and concentric for a full 360 degrees around the bowl. Sized "right" for a Group "5", that magnificent bowl is well complemented by a nicely proportioned saddle bit.
--Bear Graves

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I assumed it was a grade, because of this stamp. Most of what I found on the web are White Spot, but I found a few in the early 2000's. (SmokingPipes never puts up a nomenclature photo, drives me nuts). Here's a White Spot below. I assume the Ring Grain must be a fairly modern stamp.

View attachment 143280
It has to be fairly recent. Certainly didn't exist when I was smoking Dunhills and used to visit the Dunhill shop in Beverly Hills. People love titles. It makes the subject seem that much more special. The term ring grain has been around for many years without affiliation to any one marque.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I hate to sound like a rookie but damned if I can tell the difference in a shell grain and a ring grain.
They're all shell grains. The term "shell" refers to the appearance confered by the process, which was compared to the look of a walnut shell, hence the use of the term "shell" instead of "blast". Different marques had their different trademarks for their sandblasts. Dunhill used "shell", Barling used "Fossil", etc, etc. I gather that a ring grain shell is just a shell that blasted into a ring grain because of the orientation of the grain, which would have started as a straight grain when still smooth.